“A peaceful retreat”
Review of La Casa Rosa Hotel

La Casa Rosa Hotel
Reviewed 10 March 2014

After staying at numerous hotels in San Peadro, which I did not find to be very beautiful or relaxing, I took the boat to Santa Cruz and stumbled accross La Casa Rosa and struck gold! This place is truely stunning, with amazing tropical gardens which I spent my days relaxing in. This is a place of tranquility, for finding peace. The restaurant with its lake side setting, serves delicious Thai food, salads and more in a breathtaking setting to watch the world go by. My room was gorgeous, clean, colourfull and spacious. I found the owner Rosa to be the most charming and helpfull host during my stay. I found this place by chance, but I will definately be returning here.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 24 February 2014

I first came to Lake Atitlan and Santa Cruz in December 2009. The very first place I
stayed at was at La Casa Rosa Hotel. Right away I knew I had found a very special and
charming place; Rosa, the owner, was the first person I met, and she could not have been
more friendly or helpful. After a very short time, I felt more like a friend than a
guest. I was invited to join her and her family for their Christmas festivities, and I
happily accepted, and it was a wonderful experience. I came again in the Spring of 2010,
and there was no thought given that I would stay anywhere else but Rosa's once again.
The hotel is right on the shore of the lake, but the beautiful garden also gives a sense
of privacy and relaxation, and provides for excellent bird watching (and listening)
opportunities.
Right in front of the hotel is Rosa's own private dock, so good for jumping into the lake
for a refreshing swim, the biggest and best swimming pool of any hotel I've ever stayed
at!
My room was always kept clean, with hot showers, private bathroom, toilet paper, towels,
and soap provided with the room.
Since that time she and her daughter have added a restaurant and bar that are right on
the edge of the garden, facing the lake, with a spectacular view of the lake and
volcanoes; a great spot to watch each nights spectacular sunset.
Once again I returned, in December of this last year, and getting off the public boat
from Panajachel (20 minutes, away and very reasonably priced with regular, daylight,
service), I walked straight to Rosa's (only a 2 minute walk from the public boat dock in
Santa Cruz), to find her smiling face waiting for me; it was like walking into the
beautiful garden and home of an old friend. I spent another wonderful Christmastime
dinner and celebration with Rosa, her family and friends, and the other guests, and some
of the staff (who are also very warm and friendly), and the 2 friendly cats who are now
part of the family at Rosa's. The meal was exceptional.
Rosa's is the perfect place to enjoy the quiet relaxation of the lake, and the views from
the restaurant and bar, and her dock, cannot be beat.
I look forward to my next visit to, and with, Rosa.

Room Tip: I have only always stayed in room 11, 2 beds, nice bathroom, 2 windows facing the lake in the room...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Wow! I absolutely loved my stay at la casa rosa. The gardens are sublime, the bar and restaurant offer a fantastic selection of food and drinks in a beautiful setting with stunning lake views. The staff are amazing and the rooms really homely and comfortable. This really is a piece of paradise. If your looking for a beautiful place to relax I would highly recomend it.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2014

What a wonderful find!! I had been living Pana for six weeks when my boyfriend came for a visit I decided to find a quieter location. Casa Rosa was the place! The hotel grounds are beautiful and the rooms are cozy and well priced. We loved every minute. We meant to stay only three nights but extended our trip an extra four nights. We have no complaints. Rosa the owner is wonderful and so sweet. When we come back to the lake we would definitely stay here again!! :)

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I was excited to stay at Casa Rosa because at double the price we were paying at Mikaso in San Pedro I was expecting more... while the location is in a very pretty setting on Lake Atitlan, to the right of the main dock, I had several issues overall with our stay.
1. There was a scorpion in our shower when I went to wash my face (no hot water in the sink). A little disconcerting, but I do realize we are in a remote location so it didn't bother me too much... but still. Yuck. Good think I didn't actually STEP into the shower to meet the little guy.
2. Service was good at the restaurant but amazingly slow. Probably 45 minutes to cook eggs for two people, and there were maybe 6 other people in the restaurant (which is actually outdoor tables near the Lake)
3. Overall cleanliness. Our bungalow room had a lot of cobwebs, and it was clear that the floor mat in the bathroom had not been washed which was incredibly gross. I wore socks in the room that I threw out.
4. The property is pretty and has a lot of plants and paths, but it is kind of overgrown and could use some major landscaping, not just young and old women sweeping the paths.

The outdoor spaces close to the Lake are very pretty, and at night it is also nice, however they "close" the bar around 9 pm even though there were people sitting outside finishing drinks.

Options are definitely limited in Santa Cruz so this is probably better than the hostel, but for what we were paying I expected more - service, cleanliness, etc.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This hotel is a great option to relax. It takes 20 minutes by boat from Panajachel to Santa Cruz. The best of the hotel is the great view of the lake Atitlan. It has also beautiful gardens and the staff is VERY friendly. There is a restaurant with good food and drinks and you can admire from here the beautiful sunsets!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 December 2013

South faceing to lake atitlan, warm clean lake to swim at the garden by the lake.
Garden very colourfull and varied trees and bushes.
Rooms clean and tidy,towels/soap provided,and 24Hr.Hot Water
Rosa the owner,very profesional allways helpfull when needed
Feeling of 2 cats in the yard,/our house .C.S.N, hey there are 2 cats here!!!
Good drinks and food at restraunt lake;
Quite place to stay and 20min from panajachel and 40 min san pedro.

Room Tip: all good, front of house,or bungalow.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank adrianpeters
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Cruz La Laguna
La Casa del Mundo Hotel
La Casa del Mundo Hotel
#1 of 1 in Jaibalito
Laguna Lodge Eco-Resort & Nature Reserve
Laguna Lodge Eco-Resort & Nature...
#3 of 5 in Santa Cruz La Laguna
Hotel Regis Panajachel
Hotel Regis Panajachel
#5 of 29 in Panajachel
Hotel San Buenaventura de Atitlan

Been to La Casa Rosa Hotel? Share your experiences!