Villa Sumaya
US$293
US$269
  • Breakfast included
Hotel IslaVerde(Santa Cruz La Laguna)(Great Value!)
US$69
  • Restaurant
Hotel el Arca de Noe(Santa Cruz La Laguna)(Great Value!)
US$56
US$186
US$167
Priceline
  • Pool
La Fortuna at Atitlan(Santa Cruz La Laguna)
  • Beachfront
Posada Schumann(San Marcos La Laguna)
All reviewsretreat centeryoga retreatpersonal retreatchickenlife changinglake atitlangroup retreathealing artsyoga facilitiesmagical placenooks and crannieshot tubeach mealspa treatmentsyoga roombeautiful retreatspent a week
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I co-hosted a Dance Retreat at Villa Sumaya for a group of 11 and I would return again in a heartbeat! The lake was magical and the venue of Villa Sumaya is perfect for a retreat workshop: The Dance Space was beautiful, the food was delicious, the rooms were very comfortable, and the overall setting and logistics were perfect for a retreat getaway- it is remote enough to experience a complete "getaway", yet close enough for just a 4 hour flight from LA. Everyone in the group appreciated all the amenities available-massages, taro readings, --and especially the mayan ceremony was a unique and special experience. Guatemala is forever in my heart and Villa Sumaya for holding space for our dance journey.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Courtney S
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Villa Sumaya is a magical place…the lake is incredible beautiful, the food is bountiful, fresh, and delicious, and the staff is not not only professional, but also lovely to be around and full of spirit. Wendy is cool, competent, charming and funny. What struck me most about the atmosphere at Villa Sumaya is that it is set up for the guests to bring their unique energy. In other words, you will arrive in a gorgeous place with wonderful people, but then it is up to you to bring your light energy to them as well, because they are open and interested… co-creation at it's best. To call this a vacation would be insufficient, because it was more a journey that i intend to continue even after returning home… and of course, also when i return to Villa Sumaya

Room Tip: you can't go wrong! they all look onto the lake
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nick W
Reviewed 29 March 2014

From my first arrival, I felt cared for. During my week's stay, I ate delicious food, drank varied and inviting teas. I experienced a friendly and attentive staff and a director whose vision offered us the best of both worlds...a retreat from the world at large and a respectful window into the real lives of the Mayan people who call this part of the world their home. I have never felt this at home at a center of this size. Attention to detail is evident everywhere. The bodywork available is also top-quality.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Denise0426
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I, and about 14 other women, went to this hotel on the banks of Lake Atitlan for a week of yoga and Art (Soul Collage). This was my first trip to Guatemala, but I had heard many great things from my friends. The staff was so helpful and friendly--the food was healthy and plentiful. I even got my "cat fix" as the local cat, Shiva, was intentional with each of us. I do recommend that you get a room near the "main office" as 5 of the 7 days I had problems getting a hot shower. The staff did some "magic" each time to provide hot water but it took time. Hey, I was on vacation so time was OK, but do be aware this beautiful setting also is not a 5 star hotel. The other guests we met were also very interesting and the VIEW is stunning!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I've led an annual creativity and yoga retreat at Villa Sumaya for the past seven years. This is a magical place! I’ve also led retreats at other retreat centers and Villa Sumaya is the most beautiful, most friendly, best-run retreat center I’ve experienced anywhere. This retreat center was created by a woman who has exquisite artist sensibilities and an uncommon spiritual depth who pays as much attention to the inner experience her guests will have as she does to every beautiful detail of the external environment and experience. The staff are warm, attentive and professional; the food is delicious and creative; the setting on the shores of Lake Atitlan is heavenly, and tranquil; the yoga facilities and group rooms are beautiful and overlook the panorama of the lake, and the healing arts practitioners are experienced, skilled and among the best I’ve experienced anywhere. My stays at Villa Sumaya are always transformative and inspiring both for me and for the women who attend my retreats. Villa Sumaya is a place that is very unique in this world. There are no roads into Villa Sumaya, you access the center via small boats. This oasis offers an uncommon sanctuary where one can experience the gentle heart of the Mayan culture and find deep rest and peace. I plan to continue returning here for many years to come.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business