“An oasis in an otherwise lackluster hotel market”
Review of Mikaso Hotel Resto

Mikaso Hotel Resto
Reviewed 14 October 2011

My partner and I stayed at Mikaso for the last 6 days of our 5 weeks in San Pedro, which featured a series of not-great hostel/hotel/home stays. This was the perfect place to wrap up our time on Lago de Atitlan: beautiful, simple, and clean rooms...relatively affordable for the level of comfort that they provide. The restaurant served top notch food; one of the best out of the many we sampled in San Pedro. Also, the owner was very friendly and helpful whenever we needed suggestions, or just simply stopped by to chat. It was the best place we stayed at during our 3 months in Guatemala.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Joe S
Marilou A, Public Relations Manager at Mikaso Hotel Resto, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed 16 April 2011

It was a pleasure to stay at this hotel. The staff was very helpful, breakfast was good. Everyone around the hotel seemed to enjoy their stay. The view was stunning no matter what time of day. There was even a beautiful view when you check your email or lay out at the pool, or sit in the hot tub. It was nice to see men in the old wooden boats quietly paddling in the lake, For the price, you can't beat it!!
We would definitely stay at Hotel Mikaso again.

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor with a view of the lake
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank krimbert
Marilou A, Public Relations Manager at Mikaso Hotel Resto, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Reviewed 3 January 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at Mikaso for a couple of nights. It's fine, but I felt it wasn't worth the price. There was nothing wrong with the rooms - they were clean and comfortable- but nothing great either. I thought the food in the restaurant was pretty mediocre and definitely too expensive. I also did not care for its location on a muddy footpath- it was very dark if you left at night and I felt like we were stuck eating at the hotel restaurant.

For just a few dollars more per night, I'd recommend getting one of the shared-bathroom rooms at Casa del Mundo, which is a spectacular place and a very good value.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Vlntr09

We are sorry that your stay was not as expected. We did put more lighting on the path to the hotel so it is easier for our guests at night.

Reviewed 5 November 2010

We stayed in the dorm with two boys (5 and 8). We had several unusual requests and the staff bent over backwards to make things work for us. The kids loved the games available upstairs, dad loved the movie shown after 8:30pm and both parents met tons of interesting travelers. Food was delicious and priced very fairly. Dorm was clean. Stayed three nights.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank aeolian_nomad

Reviewed 5 April 2010

Best value and service found in Guatemala ! The spanish owner is friendly and he and his staff go out of their way to serve your needs. We had many conversations and laughs and felt so appreciated. The terrace overlooking lake Atitlan is beautiful and eating our meals there was a real pleasure. The rooms have high ceilings and are very comfortable. This is a modern inn that has stylish design and character. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank François B
Reviewed 1 January 2010

Mikaso is on the quieter side of town near the Santiago Atitlan dock, with only one other hotel nearby. Far away from the loud center of town, it has beautiful lake views, especially from the patio restaurant.

Rooms are a little bare but very large, and quite comfortable.

While the location is good and the area is beautiful, what sets Mikaso apart is the service. We asked for a late checkout because of our somewhat odd travel plans (private shuttle leaving at midnight), and without any hassle they gave us a late checkout and a secure place to keep our bags until it was time to leave. The Duena was amazingly friendly, her brother was very understanding, and the staff in general was first rate. All the members of the staff speak fluent or nearly fluent English and the restaurant features a large menu with full translation.

I would stay here again without hesitation, and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to have a relaxing, beautiful stay in San Pedro La Laguna

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank danibren
Reviewed 7 November 2009

I stay at this hotel twice, it is a beautiful hotel with a amazing view of the lake form their 3rd floor restaurant if you don’t stay here I wont recommend having breakfast here the view is best in the morning and the omelets are great a little pricy for Guatemala (about $5) But worth it.

The hotel staff is great and the management speaks good English, the Mayan women that work here never stop cleaning and keep the place spotless however they do make lot of noise in the morning but I don’t sleep late so it was not I problem for me. If you like sleeping past 8 in the morning get a room on the fist for because they start cleaning on the 3rd floor and they supply room is on the 2nd.

The only thing I can say bad about this hotel is that its hard to get to if you have a lot of bags with you it could be a problem because taxies can not get to the hotel. The front of the hotel has a dirt path right next to the lake the best way is in back but you will still have to carry evething a couple of blocks however the local boys will help you out for 10Q each (a little more then a $1) I have 3 bags since I am traveling for a year. And they brought my bags right to my room on the second floor. Also as in all hotels in this price range in Guatemala you will only get warm water.

If you want luxury you will not find it on this side of the lake go to hotel Atitlan for 10 time the price I am paying less the $20 a night they want $200.00 both ar right on the lake.
You can get a room with a privet bath in san Pedro de Laguna for $ 3 (25Q) if you want.

I would stay here again. Have fun were ever you stay this is a magical place!

Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
#16 of 18 in San Pedro La Laguna
Hotel El Sol
Hotel El Sol
#1 of 18 in Panajachel

Been to Mikaso Hotel Resto? Share your experiences!