“Mikaso Hotel had good points and not so good points.”
Review of Mikaso Hotel Resto

Mikaso Hotel Resto
Reviewed 25 January 2012

The entrance into to the Mikaso Hotel will leave you thinking you have made a terrible mistake. You follow a dirt path with the smell of burning garbage, which leads you to a concrete sidewalk and the entrance to the hotel. There was no one in the reception area...never was our entire stay. We rang a buzzer and someone showed up and told us to come to the third floor restaurant to check in. As I was walking across the lobby I tripped on an invisible, unmarked step and suffered a hard fall which broke my glasses and gave me a severe knock on the head. Not a good beginning to our stay. After I recovered, we were shown to our room, which had a great view of the lake. The bed was not comfortable and the pillows were small and lumpy. When I asked the housekeeper for extra pillows, she told me they had no more. There was mildew in the shower and on the shower curtain. Otherwise, the room seemed acceptable for the price of $35/night. We had dinner in the restaurant and the food was very good. Later in the evening, we returned to the restaurant in order to get a wi-fi signal to listen to a special NCAA basketball game. There was a small crowd at the bar across the room from us and along with some of the staff they were making so much noise we could not hear our game. I complained and was given a rude response from a man who later identified himself as the owner of the hotel. Some cross words were spoken. We considered moving to another hotel, but we had to prepay for our three-day stay and doubted that they would refund our money. The remaining days were uneventful. The hotel owner was pleasant and we ate in the hotel restaurant several times with no other complaints. After we requested it, the owner did put some reflecting tape on the invisible step and on another step. All in all, we would not choose the Mikaso Hotel again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view. It will make up for the other shortcomings.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Marilou A, Public Relations Manager at Mikaso Hotel Resto, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

We are very sorry that your stay was not as expected. We now have someone at the reception from 7:00am to 9:00pm so there is always someone to help you. We now also have internet on every floor of the hotel.

Reviewed 14 January 2012

We spent a large part of our Christmas Vacation enjoying San Pedro. Because the hotel was booked up, we were only able to spend our first and last night at Hotel Mikaso. The hotel has many wonderful decks to enjoy the beautiful lake, and a great top floor gathering area/restaurant where we spent many hours playing board games, eating appetizers, and enjoying local brews.

There are just a couple of rooms that have views of the lake. I highly recommend trying to reserve one of these rooms for your stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Chuck P

Reviewed 25 December 2011

I generally agree with the positive reviews that have been posted about this hotel. On the surface the place is simply breathtaking- an oasis that is perched magnificently over the lake with plenty of places to sit back and be mesmerized by the cloud formations over the lake and volcanoes every day. The food was surprisingly good and staff were cheerful and friendly right from the outset and all the way until checkout. The location was not an issue for me at since I only had a backpack with me. If you are coming from the Panajachel dock with luggage you'll be better off taking a tuk tuk. If you are coming in from the Santiago dock its only a few minutes walk to the hotel. The hotel is also just a short skip and hop from the main strip of restaurants and bars.
My only gripe with this place is that the rooms were not as well maintained as the exterior/common areas of the hotel would suggest. There were nights when I even contemplated sleeping on a hammock out on the terrace! The first night I was put into a corner room on the ground floor with a partial view of the lake. The ambiance of the room was great at first but when I returned to it after dark there were a number of large spiders crawling on the wall (don't bother killing them as they seem to always come back in numbers)! To add insult to injury, the bed sheets were not clean and on close inspection I found a small creature crawling from under the sheets. I seriously considered moving to another hotel but I wasn't convinced that any of the others in San Pedro would be cleaner so I decided to stay. I asked for a room change the hotel happily obliged. My next couple of nights were on the second floor in a room without a view but that spider and bug free thankfully. Having said that, I still felt like I was making due with a less than perfect situation because I had doubts as to whether the sheets had been washed thoroughly, if at all. To sum it up, the hotel has great potential but needs to pay at least as much attention to cleanliness as other hotels in guatemala that are in the same price range.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Schmata

We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you back again soon. We are sorry that you had a spider issue and also a sheet issue. We always change and clean the sheets. We now look closer at every room to make sure that will not happen again.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the Hotel Mikaso for 6 nights (3 nights fun, 3 nights stranded thanks to Hurricane Irwin). As you can imagine, we got to spend a lot of time at the hotel...

The view is absolutely spectacular. Make an effort, wake up early and watch the sunrise over the lake (see photos). It's worth it. The room was quite basic: ceiling fan, table, bed and bathroom, but it is spotlessly clean. The Mikaso is (relatively!) expensive compared to other San Pedro hotels, but for the price we definitely felt we were getting our money's worth.

Service was excellent. The staff handled all of our requests warmly and with consideration (help with local phone calls, booking, etc.). Also, since we were stranded there for three days in heavy rain, we appreciated the service and restaurant.

The restaurant is somewhat overpriced, but the food is good - you get a huge breakfast for the price. It has WiFi too.

Location is out of the way - at the end of a small dirt path and rather far away from the launch dock. You can hire a tuk tuk to take you there with your bags for 10Q. The tourist area of San Pedro itself is really small - 15m walk from one end to the other - so it's not really *that* far away.

Regarding hot water - IMPORTANT. The electricity-heated showers are quite mediocre and only achieve lukewarm heat, unless you keep the water trickling at very low pressure. The gas showers are *excellent*. There's no comparison. Go for a gas shower if you want hot water. And if you're not sure, check the water heat yourself when you get the room. They will tell you all the rooms have hot water.

And did I mention the view?

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Yay_Hanna

Reviewed 14 October 2011

My partner and I stayed at Mikaso for the last 6 days of our 5 weeks in San Pedro, which featured a series of not-great hostel/hotel/home stays. This was the perfect place to wrap up our time on Lago de Atitlan: beautiful, simple, and clean rooms...relatively affordable for the level of comfort that they provide. The restaurant served top notch food; one of the best out of the many we sampled in San Pedro. Also, the owner was very friendly and helpful whenever we needed suggestions, or just simply stopped by to chat. It was the best place we stayed at during our 3 months in Guatemala.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Joe S

Reviewed 16 April 2011

It was a pleasure to stay at this hotel. The staff was very helpful, breakfast was good. Everyone around the hotel seemed to enjoy their stay. The view was stunning no matter what time of day. There was even a beautiful view when you check your email or lay out at the pool, or sit in the hot tub. It was nice to see men in the old wooden boats quietly paddling in the lake, For the price, you can't beat it!!
We would definitely stay at Hotel Mikaso again.

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor with a view of the lake
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank krimbert
Marilou A, Public Relations Manager at Mikaso Hotel Resto, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Reviewed 3 January 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at Mikaso for a couple of nights. It's fine, but I felt it wasn't worth the price. There was nothing wrong with the rooms - they were clean and comfortable- but nothing great either. I thought the food in the restaurant was pretty mediocre and definitely too expensive. I also did not care for its location on a muddy footpath- it was very dark if you left at night and I felt like we were stuck eating at the hotel restaurant.

For just a few dollars more per night, I'd recommend getting one of the shared-bathroom rooms at Casa del Mundo, which is a spectacular place and a very good value.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Vlntr09

We are sorry that your stay was not as expected. We did put more lighting on the path to the hotel so it is easier for our guests at night.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Pedro La Laguna
#17 of 18 in San Pedro La Laguna
Hotel El Sol
Hotel El Sol
#1 of 18 in Panajachel

Been to Mikaso Hotel Resto? Share your experiences!