“Amazing value for the price...”
Review of Mikaso Hotel Resto

Mikaso Hotel Resto
Reviewed 25 June 2012

When I got here, I literally said this might be the coolest hotel/hostel for 6 dollars a night on the continent. The view and location are absolutely phenomenal, and the price for the dorm room was unbeatable. You also have access to a hot tub, pool table and more in this beautiful little place.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Adam S
Marilou A, Public Relations Manager at Mikaso Hotel Resto, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Reviewed 4 June 2012

Mikaso is a very clean and inviting place to enjoy the lake. The food is great, the staff friendly and the atmosphere perfect. After our other "adventures" in Guatemala, Mikaso was a much need place to relax. Best views of the lake, we will stay here again.

Room Tip: The rooms have two types of hot water, the first night we stayed in room 18 with a lake view and wha...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stanton2006

Reviewed 29 May 2012

My husband and I spent a weekend at beautiful Lake Atitlan and in peaceful San Pedro, except for Mikaso Hotel.

Pros:
• Very clean hotel and rooms, extremely basic though.
• Large rooftop terrace with one of the best views of Lake Atitlan.
• Terrace with sun lounge chairs & bar service.

Cons:
• Local women wash their clothes and bathe on the edge of the hotel in the lake very early in the morning and are very loud chatting to each other. We were woken up every morning of our stay!
• The staff forgot to turn on the hot water in our room. We were in a rush and had to take cold showers.
• Unfriendly staff and understaffed. No one was at the reception area and there never was. So you walk in looking for someone to check-in.
• Hotel is difficult to find at night.
• Hotel was empty (maybe low season) so many of the services were not available.
• Kitchen did not open as stated – staff was always late.
• There web site states Wi-Fi but our room did not have it.
• Too expensive for what is offered.

I was very disappointed with Mikaso Hotel. I was expecting a quiet environment for my husband and I to relax and read for a weekend. An American couple was staying in the room next to us and concurred. In addition, the kitchen and staff were very disappointing as well.

Eventually I felt I had to advise the Owner. He though he gave us a discount (much appreciated) I will not go again and do not advise a friend to do so as well.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Qbrit

We are very sorry that your stay was not as expected. We have now someone at the front desk from 7:00am to 9:00pm, so there is always someone there to help you. Now we also have internet on every floor.

Reviewed 16 May 2012

I've been to Mikaso Hotel in March 2012 with my husband and another couple. I have to admit I chose this hotel because the owners are from Quebec and so am I... but at the end... it was a very nice choice =)

We were welcomed by one of the owners and she did a small tour with us to explain the amenities.The staff are very friendly and helpful, the hotel amenities are great and what about the 2 jacuzzies on the terrasse and roof terrasse with an amazing view on the lake? It was incredible!

The only negative point (and it has been mentioned in other post) is the hotel entrance...well, the path to get to the hotel. We were coming from Santiago so we arrived at another dock than the main one...which is good because this one is closer to the hotel. We took the small path to the hotel but we never saw the sign so we went trough allllll San Pedro before coming back and see the small sign. Then you need to take a little tiny dirty path which DOES NOT smell roses and at the end you see a nice entrance with flowers and beautiful gardens. So to resume...negative point : to find the small path to get to the hotel and the smell on that path (ewww really!!).

We had room 10B...was small, but it was enough for 2 people. Our window was on the lake side so all night we heard the waves like if we were at the beach...so relaxing... but if you are a light sleeper I suggest that you ask for another room =)

The hotel itself is strangely designed but once you got lost 1 or 2 times, you start to get where things are.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank JoanyC

We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you back again soon. We are working on a better signalization to put around San Pedro to help people find us.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

This hotel was difficult to find at night but my group was very pleased when we arrived. The food in the restaurant was very good. The rooms are clean and some have a lake view. My lake view room made me feel like I was on the beach. The wind and water is loud and rough at times. Laurance was very helpful with setting up activities. Me and my friends took a tour of the lake with a guy named Henry. I would highly recommend this tour. Ask Laurance to set this up for you. We also took a sunrise hike to Indian Nose. The views were incredible. Would not stay anywhere else on my next visit.

Room Tip: Lake View rooms are the way to go if possible.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 April 2012

My partner and I spent 3 nights at the Mikaso Hotel in San Pedro last week. The hotel had expanded since I had last seen it 2 years ago. I remember it looking very "unfinished" back in 2010 so it was a pleasant surprise to arrive at a pretty nice place for a 2 star hotel.

The rooms are basic - no frills there. Two bath towels - that's it. No end tables or TV. However, the beds were very comfortable and the duvets must have come from North America and they were fabulous. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The facilities are much better than expected.

Breakfast at the hotel was great and the cook Sandra even came in early our first morning as we had to make an early, early appointment in a village across the lake. It is the first time my partner has had "eggs easy over" that actually were done right. Prices are really affordable - gin and tonics for $2, a wonderful breakfast for $4!

The terrace is wonderful for suntanning and relaxing. Umbrellas on the tables, 2 jacuzzis, pool table, hammock and the best view of the lake. We could hear the ducks "running" across the lake as they moved out of the way of the local fishermen. I thought it would be noisy as it appeals to a younger crowd than us but it was quiet at night and only got noisy around 8 in the morning which is very decent.

We loved the place, thought the ambience was fabulous and would go back in a heartbeat. We just hope the lake doesn't keep rising or Mikaso will find themself "in" the lake instead of right "on" the lake. Definitely convenient and worth checking out for the price.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jan J

Reviewed 31 March 2012

I would like to make a reservation but I don't find any website or phone number.
Where can I contact you?

#15 of 18 in San Pedro La Laguna
Eco Hotel Uxlabil Atitlan
Eco Hotel Uxlabil Atitlan
#1 of 3 in San Juan la Laguna

Been to Mikaso Hotel Resto? Share your experiences!