“Terrible Customer Service and Beware the 'Company Policy'”

Moenkopi Legacy Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Tuba City
midwest, america
“Terrible Customer Service and Beware the 'Company Policy'”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

I've never posted this sort of review, but believe that other travelers need to be aware of what I experienced at the Moenkopi Inn. It has the look of a newer Best Western and is one of the few options in the area. I did not actually stay at the facility and thus cannot comment on the quality of the rooms, but given the abysmal customer service that I encountered at the front desk, I would never choose to stay there. I stopped on a trip to the Grand Canyon to see about making a one-night reservation. I waited in line for nearly 15 minutes before being helped by a polite young lady at the front desk. Once we had agreed on the type of room I needed, I mistakenly handed her my credit card. As I needed to cancel another hotel reservation for the night in question, I asked what the Moenkopi's cancellation policy was because she had not told me. She looked at me with a blank stare and said "Whoops. I already ran your card. Our company policy is that we need a 48-hr notice." I told her that I needed to cancel another reservation and asked what if there was a problem. She assured me that she could handle canceling the charge at the Moenkopi. I immediately contacted the other hotel and discovered I could NOT cancel my reservation. I returned to the front desk within 5 minutes and then waited over 30 minutes to speak with someone. The young lady who had helped me spent nearly all this time with one other group of tourists, going into useless details that were not relevant. (They were young Germans and she was explaining AARP policies to them.) Finally I spoke with 'Lane,' telling him the situation and that I had not been informed of their cancellation policy before she ran my card. Once again, a blank stare and the "company policy" line. I asked to speak with a manager and was told (on a weekend) that they were all off. So I waited, and waited, ostensibly to speak with the original clerk who was still dealing with the German guests. Finally, after another guest waiting in line asked what was wrong and I told him, Lane bothered to call his manager. I noticed he did not fully explain the circumstances, particularly when/how this reservation was handled. Happily the manager did eventually authorize the charge to be voided from my account. I realize that the Moenkopi has the right to establish whatever cancellation policies they deem fit, but if their employees aren't willing to explain those before the fact to potential guests, that's unfair. I also overheard at least two other conversations with guests having similar difficulties with the front desk. This is a new hotel, so I hope that they can improve upon their customer service. I also sadly suspect that they know know they can take advantage of travelers in such a limited market. As least that's the serious impression I took away.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank ttwwy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Polish first
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

This is a pretty relatively new hotel just on the edge of the Navajo/Hopi reservations. They have a fitness room, nice pool and jacuzzi, nice staff and clean rooms with free wifi. The rooms all have refrigerators and microwaves, and breakfast is included. I use this hotel to house our visiting students to tuba city regional medical center, and staying there continued my confidence that this is the best choice for people wanting to stay in the region. Grocery store is across the street, as are several fast food places.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Phoenix
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

The Hopi have made this hotel into one of the best in the area, especially Page with all the chain places. In fact, I could not get a room in Page. The Moenkopi was much nicer than the Page chain hotels I hoped to book. Don't miss the authentic Kachina dolls they display. The bathroom was especially nice. The door to it always wanted to close, so I had to prop one of my bags against it, but that was the only (very minor) issue. I didn't use the pool but it was a popular place.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Thank R. M
Mooresville, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

Spent the night at the Moenkopi on the way to the Grand Canyon. Makes a great stopover to get to the Grand Canyon for early afternoon checkin. Front desk personal were very helpful and friendly. Not sure if they tell all the guest they will be kicked out if they have alcohol with them or not, or just bikers. That is my ONLY negative comment.

The rooms were very large and comfortable. I would definately recommend to anyone in the area. They do not have a restaurant which is very surprising. A Denny's is connected to the hotel if that is your kind of thing. Not what I was really looking for.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank HarleyJetDriver
FREMONT HILLS, MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

This was a great place to spend the night. Comfortable. Kitchen area. Living room and bed room. Great pool and hot tub. Great hot breakfast free. Only downside is no alcohol allowed or $250 penalty...run by Hopi indians. Very friendly.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Golden, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

We had wanted to stay at the Grand Canyon Village, but all the hotels were full. So we booked the nearest hotel we could find which was in Tuba City AZ, only an hour away, it was perfect. This hotel is owned and operated by the Hopi Native American Indian tribe and this is reflected in the architecture. The décor is in traditional Hopi style and just adds to the experience. The staff are very friendly and welcoming, only thing was that the hotel was full and so we had to eat breakfast in the lobby, not a problem as there was tons of room.
We had supper next door at Denny's, just good value for money.
Overall well worth staying here eh!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

The Moenkopi Legacy inn is a beautiful Native American Indian Lodge out in the middle of nowhere! It is Very clean and comfortable. We were welcomed by exceptionally friendly staff. The rooms were beautifully decorated spacious. The complimentary breakfast was very good.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank SniktawLady

Been to Moenkopi Legacy Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!