“WOW”
Review of Dinosaur Tracks

Dinosaur Tracks
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Tuba City
More attraction details
Owner description: These are dinosaur tracks on the side of the highway on the Navajo Nation.
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Words can't describe the landscape of the area and seeing the foot prints of the dinosaurs. The guide that meets you is VERY friendly and knowledgeable. There are places that you would go to once but I would go back and see this again.

1  Thank Louis V

Reviewed 12 April 2014

This place is literally in the middle of nowhere - but a great way to break up a drive from the south rim of the Grand Canyon to Glen Canyon. It's about halfway between the park exit and page, az This stop has only a few hand-painted signs to let you know it's coming.

It's on the Navajo reservation and tours are offered by Navajo "guides".

They're certainly not professionally trained guides, but there is no charge and they ask only for a donation in the amount of your choice.

Maddie was our guide. She showed us numerous dinosaur tracks and identified the species that made them. We were also shown skeletal fossils of dinosaurs and a crocodile In addition, they have rocks that melted into other rocks as they broke off a meteor that fell in the vicinity

It's a one of a kind place. We also found so,e great jewelry that was handmade by Maddie's mother and some cool toys for the kids.

This is a must.

3  Thank jacknmichaelsmom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We drove from Mesa just for a day trip and my husband was a little skeptical of the area. The drive up was gorgeous. A couple miles in off the 160 you see a sign that says dinosaur tracks. Seriously right off the road. We pull in and were guided into a parking spot and greeted by a very respectful Navajo guide. He never said anything about a donation or being paid. He took us around to look at the tracks, the eggs, and the fossilized bone while answering our questions about his customs and where he lived on the reservation. He was very knowledgeable. He showed us some rocks that they make some of their jewelry out of and gave our girls some of the rocks to take home. Once our tour was finished, he walked off to let us finish looking around while not asking for a penny. We gave him $20 for his time and he was very grateful. We bought some stuff from their stands. Not a long tour, 30 minutes tops, but definitely worth the drive to see something that happened in once was the dinosaurs natural habitat. Would definitely recommend to anyone wanting to visit.

4  Thank Tabitha B
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Tour guide was so friendly and informative! Highly recommend!!! Viewing all the tracks and fossils was such a great experience for the whole family.

1  Thank bacm
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Dinosaur Tracks is a unique place where bones, skeletons, footprints, and eggs are still in THE SPOT where they left them! No one has excavated them and shipped them to a museum to be on display. They are laying there right where they happened. You can look around at the vast, harsh, desolate, and dead landscape and imagine these creatures roaming about. What happened here? Where did they go? You start to examine your surroundings and universe.

Our guide Joe was waiting for us when we parked. I knew off the bat that he would be our guide. I planned to give him $10 to take my boyfriend and I around. It was worth it. Time is short on your vacation and your guide knows exactly where the tracks saving you time wondering around a huge rocky area. Since we were staying in Flagstaff and driving to Monument Valley it was worth the money. Besides, this is THEIR land. We are guests.

So after Joe showed us the cool footprints (see pics) he took us to table and I bought a pair of earrings for five dollars. This is a deal! I bought several necklaces and bracelets from the woman next to Joe. I shopped all over Arizona and the Navajo stands have the cheapest prices. I wish I bought more from them. My mistake. I also regret not buying this weaved bowl that was $20. It was selling in Monument Valley for $50 and it was very nice handwork.

Plan to spend 30 minutes here and bring cash to tip to your guide and to trade with the Navajo. I really enjoyed our visit here!

5  Thank Barbara S