“Stone Cottage Retreat”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Portland, Oregon
“Stone Cottage Retreat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

Villa del Faro is an oasis. From the stunning beach location, to the authentic and generous hospitality, this was an extraordinary stay. I spent three glorious nights in the stone cottage, situated right on the beach, and it fulfilled all of my desires for a rustic, simple retreat. Bountiful daily mexican breakfasts balanced my simple dinners that I cooked on the firepit/grill on the beach. The cottage was a perfect match for those of us who like proximity to nature, and solitude, but appreciate amenities of a bnb (french press coffee, comfortable bed, towels and kitchen items provided). I hope to make a trip to Villa del Faro an annual getaway!

This is an extraordinary place, run by extremely thoughtful and generous hosts. I can't speak highly enough of this property.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Bellingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

I whisked my husband here for his annual surprise birthday trip at the end of January at the advice of friends of ours who are long-time repeat customers (maybe even the first guests!). After a quick stop at the supermarket and a gorgeous drive over the hills, we arrived at the Garden of Eden. We actually didn't see much of the grounds until the next morning when we ascended from the Stone Cottage (definitely the most romantic place I have ever stayed in my life) for the delicious and very ample breakfast served in a dining area in the main area. As advertised on their website, the Stone Beach Cottage is not for everyone (thank goodness, as it was available for us!). But for anyone who wants to sleep in a stone house on the beach with whales breaching a few dozen yards away and enjoys catching fish early in the morning from 10 yards away and dining off of a blazing bonfire, it's heaven on earth. We were actually quite sad to have to leave the cottage (it was only available on our first night), but when we were shown into Casa Dos (Norte), we somehow knew we'd manage. Wow! Equally fabulous and quite elegant. And not to be overlooked: the stunning gardens, incredible service, fabulous food, fascinating owners; generous hospitality; location on an unpopulated white sand beach with snorkeling and surfing and hiking close by; and with all that said, reasonable prices. I almost hate to reveal any information about this place as it is so special and I want it to retain the feeling of remoteness that is so rare today. But, in the interest of sharing, run, don't walk to Villa del Faro.

Room Tip: The website does a good job of describing the casitas. They all seemed great. We particularly love...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Villa Del Faro is simply amazing. My wife and I visited after a 7 day small boat cruise in the Sea of Cortez and this was just what we were looking for. The location is stunning, just above a beautiful white sand beach which stretches for miles with hardly anyone around. The grounds are amazing with tiny humming birds flitting amongst the brightly coloured flowers, woodpeckers hopping from one giant Cactus and another and pelicans diving for fish just off the beach. We stayed in Casa Azul which is close to the main part of the villa but still retains a good deal of privacy and seclusion. All of the accommodation looked incredible and everywhere was spotlessly clean and well maintained. The large pool and it's surroundings are a joy and the peace is only broken by the splashes and blows of humpback whales as they breach and play just off the beach. We ate at the Villa on 4 nights. The food was varied, tasty and plentiful. Simple ingredients but expertly cooked. The Margaritas mixed by our host were superb and served in glasses the size of a small vase! If you are in the Cabo area, make the effort to drive the dirt roads to Villa Del faro - you will not be disappointed.

Madison, WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

I recently visited the wonderful Villa Del Faro with my brothers for a long weekend. We were looking for something a little off the beaten track and quiet, and it couldn't have been better.

First the hotel: Stunning gardens and grounds, well kept, private and clean rooms, excellent cook (and bartender!). I always felt like I was well taken care of but never felt like the staff was on top of me.

We stayed in Casita Dos which was lovely. If I had to do it again, the pool house is amazing, and the little house of the beach is like a fairy tale.

The beach is incredible. Clean white sand with some rocks. Go left to what our hosts Marilyn and Allie called Baby Beach, and you can walk for miles and barely see another human being.

Marilyn arranged for us to go fishing with one of the companies up at Cabo Pulmo I was surprised at how cheap it was (including tip it was $300 for six hours), and when we got back we ate the Dorado (Mahi Mahi) we caught for dinner. Another day they directed us to Los Arbolitos, a little beach in Cabo Pulmo that had the finest snorkeling I've experienced - including the Caribbean and the Red Sea. We used equipment that the hotel provided too.

Finally, and I guess they aren't always there, but the view of the dozens of humpback whales breaching and tail slapping just off the beach in the Sea of Cortez wowed all of us. I've never seen anything like it.

Room Tip: I loved my room, but the Pool House looked incredible.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

I cannot recommend villa del faro enough. my fiancee and i are getting married in a couple months and we spent 8 days of pure heaven and relaxation there. everything about it was magnificent. If you just need to relax and chill and don't want lots of people around or loud music this IS the place for you. all of the people that run Faro are so wonderful.

Room Tip: we stayed in the pool room, it was great. i don't think there is a bad room though.
Kansas City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Villa del Faro is well worth the drive to get here! It is secluded, peaceful, elegant, unique -- definitely not your usual cookie-cutter hotel experience! This area of the East Cape is pristine and almost totally undeveloped. The beaches along this stretch are gorgeous and you will likely be
able to stroll along the sand without another person in sight. The breakfasts here are great and the dinners very romantic.

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

A good friend told my wife and I of this "magical place" on the coast of the east cape of Baja NE of San Jose del Cabo. He and and his wife had been several times and wanted to share the 'experience' with us. We landed in Los Cabos and drove an hour on an unpaved road to the coast and the Villa del Faro which is blend of a small eco-hotel and a B & B. We stayed in our wonderful casita, Casa Azul, and had a gourmet brekkie and dinner there each day. Each night before dinner, I requested a "very special VDF margarita" .(the best I have had in Mexico) The main hacienda and individual casitas as well as the surrounding gardens are spectacular , as is the pool and beach. As there are only 5-6 rooms total it is a very private place. One can wander down thru the well kept trails to the beach and walk for hours without seeing anyone. I have never seen dozens of migrating whales in a single day before. This is a unique place for relaxing.....there is no swim up bar nor predetermined activities . The Villa is isolated and there is essentially nothing around it except for a few private homes...which was ideal given our desires and planning!!
We are already planning our return visit to VDF!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel El Ganzo
Hotel El Ganzo
#14 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Reso...
#9 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
#1 of 1 in Boca de la Vinorama
Cabo Pulmo Eco Palapa
Cabo Pulmo Eco Palapa
#1 of 3 in Cabo Pulmo

Been to Villa del Faro? Share your experiences!