“Pretty Dang Good!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Green Valley, AZ
“Pretty Dang Good!”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

First: Drinks. House margarita is $6.00. Order an extra shot for $.50 - makes it much better. Hubby says "delicious." Designer margaritas run up to $15.00 per.

Wine: Expensive. Least costly by the glass, two offerings each of white and red for $9.00. I had the Malbec, which was delicious ($9.00). Everything else is 10, 11, 12 and above per glass.

Food: Delicious. We have been coming to this venue since it opened. We used to go when they were located in Nogales, Sonora and LOVED it. When they came to Tubac, the prices went WAY up, but to be expected. Hubby had the Cabrilla salsa verde again tonight - he said it was to die for! He has it almost every time and said this time it was even better than he remembered. I had a bite - trés bon!

I have previously had the chicken quesadillas and they are the BEST, especially if you order guaquemole, sour cream and salsa with them. When there in March I mis-ordered and said chicken "enchiladas" instead of quesadillas, and boy, I was not disappointed - they were GREAT. Tonight I ordered the spinach salad with ahi tuna extra and a raspberry vinaigrette - delicious! Hubby has previously had the flounder and it too was wonderful. Just about everything comes with beans and rice (and, why not in a Mexican restaurant) but I prefer not to consume those calories, which is why I ordered the salad tonight. If it's on my plate, I will, unfortunately, consume it! No will power have I - I LOVE refried beans! So, a few more offerings for the diet-conscious would be appreciated.

Atmosphere: it's a beautiful restaurant, but the lighting is way too low. The glass on the ceiling is gorgeous but I struggled to read the menu, which print is too small. The "wine-by-the-glass" menu is really difficult to read - the print is VERY SMALL and not a plain font - very hard to read. The main wine menu by the bottle is much easier to read. Would suggest some sort of candlelight on the tables and bigger font on the menus.

I think the prices are a little high, which is why we only goes about 2-3 times a year. We were celebrating our birthdays tonight. We always go in March when entertaining our relatives and they always want to go here - they love the food! We also went in May when our daughter was here and she thought the food was FAB!

We would go more often if there were more menu items in the $8-14 range, perhaps a nice fish entrée without all the rice and beans would be a great option for me! I don't like to pay for food I don't want to eat.

I only had one drink tonight because of the expense - most times out in a restaurant I almost always have two glasses of wine when I can get a decent (5-6 oz pour) for $5-7 per glass. I had to fight myself to order even one glass at $9. Very happy is tasted so good :)

• Visited August 2014

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Welcome addition to Tubac”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I went to Elvira's during a trip to Tubac in June. Eating establishments in Tubac are limited, and during the summer months, even more so. A local recommended Elvira's, so my friend and I gave it a try.
From the moment you walk into Elvira's, you are transported to a wonderful dining experience.
Although labelled as a Mexican restaurant, this is a high-end Mexican-Fusion style dining establishment. The decor is unbelievable! The hand blown glass teardrops hanging from the ceiling are entrancing. The entire restaurant has a decor that is fascinating and beautiful.
Now for the food...DELICIOUS! I had a wonderful grilled fish with mango salsa. Simply scrumptious! A taste of tequilla from the restaurant, an excellent margarita, excellent service, this was a place that you want to visit again and again. I certainly will!

• Visited June 2014
Benson, Arizona, United States
“Still Great Food”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This is our second trip to Elvira's and we weren't disappointed. Elvira's has probably the best variety of Mole north of the border. My wife had the Mole Rojo Hazelnut,with chicken breast, and I again had the Beef Tongue Mole Poblano. Both came with rice & beans that were tasty, but the Mole,,,,,OMG, absolutely delicious. And huge servings! Mole is a very complex sauce to master and both of our meals were tasty with a hint of chocolate and just the right amount of heat. While the prices are higher, the serving size and amazing flavors make it worth every penny. The service was relaxed, the staff friendly as before and the place was clean. Oh and we had an appetizer of guacamole that was also huge and terrific. We left with a smile on our faces and doggy bags large enough for tomorrow's lunch. Caveat: This is on the day we went and our tastes. Your mileage may vary. I will be back and you should try them too.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Mark T
Phoenix, Arizona
“Best Sonoran Mexican Restaurant This Side of Mexico!”
Reviewed 12 August 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Elvira's was the perfect place for 5 guys out on a golf outing, to go! Handmade margaritas, mole and steaks to die for, incredible service and atmosphere! We ate at Elvira's 3 of the 4 nights we were in Tubac. The mistake we made was not eating there every night. The next time I'm in Tucson (this Friday), I'll drive an hour each way to have dinner at Elvira's - it's that good!

Visited July 2014
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Good but pricey surprise”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Food choices in Tubac are limited. We stumbled upon Elvira's when our hunger had the best of us. After being out of town for a few days, we were in need of a decent salad. This place hit the spot. Our "Lite Spinach Salad" was very good and reasonably priced. Unfortunately, for such a small out-of-the-way town, the prices on the rest of the menu almost shocked us into losing our appetite. I'm sure everything there is good, but don't expect too many options for a light, inexpensive lunch. If you have a large budget, go for it. While you are there, take the time to look up at the ceiling. I've never seen so much blown glass since the Chihuly exhibit at the Desert Botanical Gardens in Phoenix.

• Visited July 2014