“Who need snobby attitudes in Tubac?”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Italian Peasant

Italian Peasant
Ranked #7 of 19 Restaurants in Tubac
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Kids, Groups, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sahuarita, Arizona, United States
“Who need snobby attitudes in Tubac?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

My family and I were having a weekend getaway in Tubac. So excited to go to this restaurant, as we have heard good things. Upon arriving (August early evening, ready to rain out), we were asked by two hostesses if we had a reservation. The restaurant was 2/3 EMPTY and one table was getting ready to leave. After waiting a few minutes, one hostess arrived to let us know that we didn't have a reservation and it would be about 15-20 minutes before they would seat us. When I remarked it was August in Tubac, and she was kidding, she got very snotty with me, "All those tables, every one, has a reservation. I can't seat you." So I let her know that we probably wouldn't return if we were not seated. She promptly stated she couldn't seat us now -- with a very snotty attitude. So we left. Probably never to return.

I understand staffing and reservations, as a former restaurant worker myself. But the snotty attitude, the lack of apology and general unfriendliness made me not want to spend my $$$ there. We went on to Shelby's (an old favorite of ours) and had a fabulous dinner.

Rename the restaurant "the Italian Snobs" and it will be more accurate. Very disappointing.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Linda F

“What a gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

Four of us had an early dinner at the Italian Peasant after a visit to the Tubac Art Center. We had reservations and were seated exactly where we’d requested. The décor makes one feel as if you are really in Italy, with the red and white-checkered tablecloths and cozy décor, and a touch of old Tucson with the Western bar.

The service was prompt, attentive, and very courteous. With such a varied menu (see http://theitalianpeasanttub.wix.com/tubac#!menu but the current menu is expanded), there is something there for everyone. One member in our party wanted the 10” pizza but asked if they could make it without cheese. No problem, and he got to select five toppings from a long list. Their pizza ovens insure a nicely browned, thin crispy crust. He also wanted a dinner salad. My husband questioned ordering a large salad and was promptly offered a half salad, which was more than adequate for him.

For his main course, my husband had the Veal Parmesan which arrived bubbling hot on a wooden server. It was enveloped in cheese and a delicious homemade marinara sauce. The veal was tender and cooked to perfection. He also had a side of yummy homemade spaghetti, part of which he took home in a box.

My friend and I both ordered the Ahi Tuna salad, which was beautifully presented and came with a very nice wasabi sauce on the side. The tuna was done to perfection as we’d ordered it (rare). It was a sizable serving, and we were both glad that we’d bypassed the tempting appetizers.

Their house wines are reasonably priced and can be ordered by the glass, or by the half or whole carafe.

We all raved about our dinners! This place is a real gem, and we’ll be back!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank WinstonAZ
“Lousy ambiance-wonderful food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

We recently had dinner at the Italian Peasant. The ambiance is not real good. Bot the food is terrific. Very large portions and very home made. They make all their own pasta. The linguini with clams was superb. My wife had the chicken parm, which also was excellent. The garlic knots are a real treat. We had a carafe of chianti and it was very good. You won't go wrong eating here. Very friendly staff and very good prices.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Parlouie
Sierra Vista, Arizona
“We would come back!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

After reading the reviews we decided to try it for ourselves. So glad we did. First, June, our waitress, was great. Very friendly and on top of things. The food was delicious. I had the pastrami on marble rye. It was big enough for two. My husband had the crab cake burger and he enjoyed it along with the coleslaw. We'll definitely be back :)

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank DandRWolfe
Tucson, Arizona
“Excellent food, friendly waitstaff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

I have been here several times and have never been disappointed. Having sampled many different items from the menu, I can honestly say the food is delicious and abundant. The garlic knots are heavenly and the pizza is superb. I look forward to going back soon

• Visited May 2013