“Excellent homestyle food”

Cuisines: Southwestern
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I must say that I am critical reviewer with restaurants as I know how to cook myself. I've trusted other reviewers and wasn't disappointed. We were 6 people on a Sunday for lunch and in no rush. That might be important to say as I felt it really laid back and relaxing. This means that we waited quite some time before our food was served, and we waited quite some time to get our bills. If you don't bring time with you or it bothers you, you might want to say it right before you get seated. But because I appreciate to "go out for dinner" and not be rushed out of the restaurant as it is usual in the USA, I appreciated the atmosphere, sitting outside and enjoy the October sun of Arizona. The waitress was very friendly and helpful with the menu. She actually asked if we wanted to have separate checks - I appreciate that!!! For me that's a question that ALWAYS should be asked and in 90% it's not the case. Most of us had raspberry tea. It tasted pretty good and we got refills. My husband and I ordered the Chopped Chicken Salad and Chicken Pot Pie. We tried the Strawberry dressing for the salads and it was surprisingly very good, wow! Never had that before. The also homemade Ranch dressing was tasty as well. Portions were plenty. Others had their Burgers which they said they were really good and big. They also ordered 3 Tacos (if you are very hungry, order something else) and Verde (midsize portion). All of them said it was very tasty. We also got taco chips and dips while we were waiting for the food. So it didn't bother us at all to wait for great, homemade food, and for the quality and taste and refills of sodas I thought that it was a fair price. It could have been Maria herself who checked on us once, too, which was nice. If we go back to Tubac, I would go there again, and for sure recommend it to friends.

1  Thank Rafi1968

Reviewed 23 August 2013

An unexpected find when most places in Tubac were closed for the August holiday. The owner used to run Los Brisas in Denver where she offered the same combination of great food, best Margaritas in town, and at an affordable price.

Beware, the margaritas are strong so if you have to drive, exercise caution!

Reviewed 28 July 2013

We moved to Tubac last December and have had a chance to eat at many of the local restaurants from Green Valley down to Nogales and in between. Maria's is one of our very favorites. Maria Jo's food is really good-good-good. Made with LOVE. The burgers are 1/2 pound and not expensive. Her chicken salad sandwich? SO GOOD! Also, when you order the chopped chicken salad or any dish with chicken breast it's moist and perfectly cooked. Not dry. So, this morning we went for breakfast for the very first time and it was excellent! Breakfast was a "Summer Special" ONLY $5.95! This was for 2 slices french toast, 2 slices good bacon, 2 eggs, small portion of homemade homefries. Plus, mixed fruit garnish. We left VERY happy!! Now it's not just our go-to lunch place, but also our new go-to weekend breakfast place. They are only open for brkfst on weekends.... This place is terrific!!

Reviewed 13 July 2013

My husband and I came here to eat as our choices seemed very limited for breakfast in Tubac. We were greeted and told to sit wherever we liked. We ordered our drinks and decided on what to eat. When our food arrived, there was no silverware on the table. The waitress left and soon came back to refill my husband's water without asking if there was anything else we needed. So we took silverware from the next table over. My "Banana Bomb" (French toast with PB and bananas) was good. However, my husband's "Just a Sandwich" had burnt bacon that did not smell very good. The eggs on the sandwich were over hard with a brown crust showing it had been significantly over cooked. Needless to say, I ended up splitting my plate with my husband after he pushed the sandwich away to the edge of the table. The waitress did not notice this, nor did she return for approximately 15 minutes, while visibly gabbing with another waitress at the greeting station near the door. At this point, we were the only guests in the restaurant, and still the service was severely lacking. No compensation was offered, but at least they did not charge us for the sandwich. When we left our table, the waitresses were chatting again, sitting near the door and neither rose to assist us with the door. Our arms were full, my husband's with our child and mine with the stroller and diaper bag. While obviously not required, it would have been nice for someone to offer to hold the door for us. As a side note, the floors were visibly dirty. We would definitely not recommend this restaurant to anyone.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

Had a late lunch. Restaurant was pretty empty yet the service was slow. Waitress not thrilled we wanted a table that had not been cleared yet. The food however was good so we would definately try this place again