“The Good, The Meh, but No Ugly...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tubac Golf Resort & Spa

Tubac Golf Resort & Spa
AZ
“The Good, The Meh, but No Ugly...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

We booked 4 days/3 nights on the Family Package in July 2014. The advertisement allowed for 2 free Margarita's per night and games to play as a family such as, bocce ball, volley ball, badminton, croquet, as well as free bike rentals.

We booked room the Queen Hacienda (remodeled) and were assigned room 108. This was a living room (not a sunken living room), separate bedroom with two queens, a standard bathroom (no jetted tub here) and some sort of "spare" room that looked like it should have been a bathroom but with another sink and closet but no toilet or shower.

THE GOOD:

Stables Restaurant: We enjoyed lunch and dinner there. Our fav's: Wedge Salad, Free Range Chicken Corn Chowder; Otero Burger, Chili Relleno; Margarita's are EXCELLENT on the rocks. Service was good, but getting the check takes awhile.

The grounds - simply beautiful. Like an oasis in the deserts; lots of grass and everything laid out nicely. Signage is great so Spa, restaurant, etc are easy to find.

The Bike Rentals - Beach explorer type bikes that can be taken to "The Village" (Tubac town center) and locked up while you shop to your heart's content or just ride around the resort. My kids enjoyed that the most.

THE MEH.

The Room.
This room was just okay. Yeah, it was spacious, but felt a bit tired even though it was remodeled. Perhaps it was trying to pull off "rustic", but some of the furniture was old and dinged; the couch had some yogurt or mayo type food smudges on it when we arrived, so I put a spare sheet over it so I didn't feel grossed out. The weird "spare room with a sink" was pretty useless. I asked upon arrival if we had a kitchenette and was told yes, but I never found it. By definition a kitchenette is a small cooking area. There was no small stove or microwave to define anything in the room as a kitchenette. The fridge was under the tv in the living room cabinet. There were two shelves to put dry goods and snacks which was adequate. The a/c vent had a rattle in it when it engaged. The room had nice heavy doors (some of the nearby rooms had Arcadia doors in front AND back) and a screen door on the back with a nice little place to sit and see the golf course. To the front was the pool view, but not so close as to be noisy from other vacationers.

My take: CALL, don't book online like I did so you really understand what you are getting in your room (like a kitchenette). A jetted tub would have been nice as well as a newer room. I figured (to my detriment) that a remodeled room would be upscale and I suppose it was compared to the older unremodeled rooms). The pictures and descriptions are somewhat vague. So make SURE you know what you are getting.

THE ADVERTISED FAMILY SPORTING GAMES: One of the reasons we booked here was because of the advertised games that were available. We did not allow our children to bring their electronics so we could show them active, fun outdoor games. We asked for the croquet set one late afternoon and received a set in a bag only to find there were 8 mallets, one ball, and no wickets (the hoops). So we took it back. The person on duty checked the other set; again only mallets, no balls or wickets. I asked for the bocce ball set; no bocce ball set. There were a few badminton racquets and two birdies but no net. And no volleyball net set up anywhere on the grounds. We were told to ask the morning reservation crew or check with the Pro Shop. Next morning, we checked with the morning crew - we were told the Pro Shop never has that stuff and that the bocce ball set was never returned nor were the croquet sets complete. They did have maintenance set up the volley ball net that morning, but by later that day it was108 degrees out and I wasn't up to a vigorous game of volleyball, though, I appreciated the effort.

The pool: an older okay standard pool. Not crystal clear or really clean looking. The water the 4 days were were there was a bit cloudy with some bugs and leaves in it. Perhaps it looks better in the morning. A few of the lounge chairs were broken or ripped. You will need to take the GREEN towel from your room as that is your pool towel. Take it back and hang it out to dry. There is no towel drop off at the pool, nor are they any towels available at the pool. Jacuzzi was nice and hot but a standard concrete, box shape with bench seat all the way around. Don't forget your pool key to get in AND out of the pool area. The rules in their book say no one under 18 without an adult; the signage says no one under 14 without an adult, but there were about 6-8 kids there that hopped the fence and had no adult.

Lastly, on our second night someone was booked next to us that woke us up at 11:20 and continued to laugh, squeal and talk loudly (alright, yell) until midnight. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt; I doubt they realized how loudly they were coming through the brick wall. On two occasions they threw something up against the wall and it slid down, whatever it was. It would be nice if people realized they are not the only people in the place however, and keep it down a bit. I checked with the front desk the next morning and they checked out first thing so I did not have to ask for a room change.

All in all, there was some good and meh, but no ugly. I don't think I'd rate my experience at 4 stars; 3.5 would be perfect; 3 is too low. It is truly a lovely area with great views; great, friendly staff, but my room (and neighbors) ruined the better rating. Additionally, the family games were non-existent and certainly not as advertised. Will I return? Not sure.

Room Tip: Call so you know if you are getting the jetted tub, newer room, and a kitchenette. The online descr...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank azonies

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

This is one of the nicest places in which I've ever stayed. I booked two rooms - a casita queen (room 116) and a hacienda king (room 17). Both rooms were gorgeous. The casita was very large, which was perfect for my parents and nephew, who were staying in it. My parents spent the morning outside on their patio, which happened to face the patio of my room.

The hacienda king was fantastic. I loved the sunken living room. I spent time in the jetted tub with a glass of champagne and a movie running on my iPad. Incidentally, the internet connection is great at the resort, unlike the unreliable wifi I'm used to at hotels. I was easily able to stream a TV show on Hulu as I chilled out in the tub.

Outside of the room, the grounds are immaculate. I wasn't expecting there to be a lake, so when we saw that, I was blown away. The bar is also really cool, albeit a bit small.

We were at the resort for a wedding. If you have a chance to have an event there, do it. The bride raved at how easy their staff was to work with, which was good because she lives on the East Coast and had to do most of the planning from afar. From what I saw, the staff was attentive, friendly, and responsive. I am looking forward to a longer stay at the resort.

Here's a tip: there's a convenience store just around the corner from the resort. Stock up on your snacks there as they are (of course) way overpriced at the resort. The rooms have a fridge but not a microwave, so it's easy to keep drinks and snacks on hand, as long as they don't require heating.

Room Tip: If you're a couple or a single, opt for the Hacienda King.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tara B
Anthem, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

We return here again and again for the serenity, tranquility and incomparable Santa Rita mountain views from the Stable Ranch and Grill patio. Summer or winter, we eat outside if at all possible just to feed our souls with the great views as well as our bodies with the great food. We have always had gracious servers; some from Tubac and surrounds, some from Mexico Sonora. Their culture is "mi casa es su casa" and that is how we are treated; not just as paying guests, but as personal, welcomed friends. Incidentally, the restaurant fare is generous, quality, and satisfying. Not to be missed is the 'saddles' in the bar. "Ride'em Cowboy...yeee haaa!"

There are several choices of rooms; 52 Hacienda King Suites, 16 Casitas, and 29 Posada. As well, there is the original Otero House. If memory serves, the Otero Family Ranch was the first and largest cattle ranch in the southwest United States. The cattle remain, complementing the lyric pastoral views, juxtaposed with golf carts being driven by.

The Spa is a treat, satisfying in massages and spa treatments. My facial was excellent and our massages more than made up for the long drive to the Resort.

While time spent a the resort is restorative, one should not miss the town of Tubac, an artist colony of all forms. We never leave without an amazing, one of a kind find or three. Be sure to allow enough time to visit every shop and get to know the artists and/or proprietors. Well worth your time. Then, 'ride on' south to Wisdom’s Cafe is located at 1931 E. Frontage Rd., Tumacacori, Az 85640 (2 miles south of Tubac & 1500 feet north of the Tumacacori Mission which also is an area must see. You will fill up on and truly enjoy the Café and its history (be sure to see the 'bottle wall' just outside the door to the right). Then, just less than a mile south, on the west side of the road is the Santa Cruz Chili & Spice, Inc store, still in Tumacacori (pronounced Tuma 'CAH Corrie...emphasis on the CAH!) If you run out of space or weight, they ship!

You are now very close to the Nogales, AZ/Sonora, Mexico border. If you want to cross the border, remember you Passport, and keep both eyes open to safety!

Now that you are 'retail-therapied 'out, return to the Tubac Resort for that R&R that gets extra stars for its tranquil, pastoral, soul restoring views, especially of those Santa Rita's; they will draw you back again and again.

Vaya con Dios, Amigo

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tana B
Springboro, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

I traveled here with a golf buddy in early Feb to get away from the bitter Midwest cold. We used a deal on Living Social for 2 nights & unlimited golf. We played 27 holes of golf and enjoyed the scenery and weather. The Stables Ranch Grille had amazing food and service. We ventured into the quaint little town of Tubac for some authentic Mexican cuisine and Don Julio margaritas. The Hacienda suites were perfect for kicking back and relaxing. My buddy got a massage at the spa, which was a bit pricey but good.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Tucson
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

I've stayed at the Tubac Golf Resort many times and love the property -- great food, beautiful spa, lovely landscaping, nice staff --and have always stayed in the Hacienda King rooms. This time, used a Groupon and didn't book quickly enough to get a Hacienda King at the special rate and ended up in a Posada queen room. The room was large, with two sinks and nice furniture. There is a chair outside of the front door -- no covered porch with ample seating like in the other rooms for that luxury indoor/outdoor resort feel that you should have at a place like this. The "view" from my first room (I asked to move) was a parking lot. No covered patio, which is included with the other types of rooms. There was a CD for sale in the room but no CD player, an old TV and not even a clock radio, which is pretty standard. Upkeep in the area of these rooms is not up to the standard of the rest of the resort, with some damaged walls, chipping paint, etc. I will always stay in the Casitas or Hacienda King style rooms in the future - lesson learned.

Room Tip: See review - pick the Haciendas or Casitas, not the Posada style rooms if you want a true resort sty...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

We needed to stay somewhere since our granddaughter was having a slumber party & we were not in the mood for 8 crazy 11 yr olds. We picked here since we were sent a Groupon cutting the rate by $40. Our room was very big and nice. The place does need a bit remodeling. The TV's are very old and not clear. The AC seems to have a mind of it's own and wouldn't stay on longer than 5 minutes. Some of the buildings need paint. It's beautiful and quiet but that also limits your dining choices. The breakfast was reasonable but for dinner we went 20 miles down to the casino. Overall ok, a bit expensive especially when they add on a resort fee! Had we not had a deal we'd have stayed elsewhere.

Room Tip: We picked the standard 2 queens room and it was huge. Most of the rooms are very close to everythin...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed at the Tubac Golf Resort and Spa for 2 nights in late May 2014.
Our room was fine, actually quite nice but just not too large. But the grounds
needed work. They are huge and that may be the problem. But outside our
door was an empty area and a wall that had not been painted for years. And
no plants at all and the grass was not in good condition.
We had stayed here 18 years ago and the resort was in much better
condition.
The manager did take off our mandatory resort fee when I requested it.
Great trip but resort not in the best shape.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Barbara T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tubac
BEST WESTERN Green Valley Inn
Comfort Inn Green Valley
#5 of 5 in Green Valley
BEST WESTERN Sonora Inn & Suites
Wyndham Green Valley Canoa Ranch Resort

Been to Tubac Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!