“BEST PLACE I'VE EVER STAYED!”

Canyon Plaza Resort
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Tusayan
Denver, Colorado
“BEST PLACE I'VE EVER STAYED!”
Reviewed 19 January 2012

My boyfriend and I were doing a cross country trip and of course Grand Canyon was one of our stops. Since we were there in Jan, during the off season, we were surprised to find that the Grand Canyon Hotel charged us over $150 so we drove back to Tusayan and drove to Grand Canyon Resort and were pleasantly surprised. They charged us $62 for the night, placed us right next to the indoor spa and the room was SO COMFORTABLE!!! The room was extremely clean and parking was set up so that you could park right outside the room.

The lobby had a beautiful roaring fireplace and the gentlemen was nice and helpful!

Would absolutely stay again!

Room Tip: Near the indoor pool and spa!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Alison O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Right before the entrance to the park, you are getting real value for what you paid. Very comfortable bed, room was not too big but also not too small, very clean. Staff was friendly and helpful. Free wifi, free parking. Complaints: Incredibly slow internet, cleaning staff didn't know that we were checking out so the knocked like 5 times at the door waking us up and checking if we already left to clean up the room (usually the cleaning staff skips all the check-out rooms and makes them after the guest check out at the reception). Also, the hot tub was too hot, it was burning.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank IroMac
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Had just driven 7 straight hours from San Diego with family visiting from the UK, I was rather skepic about this place due to siome of the previous reviews. However, it was better than we thought it would be. Most of the alternative accommodation was sold out or triple in price. My double queen bedroom was $102 per night with buffet breakfast (you need to get a promo code for that)
First thing we did was get to the room and pull the sheets back on the bed and check for bed bugs, as this seemed to be the problem we read in some of the reviews.
The sheets were spotless and clean. The room was fine and had a balcony that overlooked the spa area, which was also nice.
The bathroom was small, but clean and the shower worked fine.
The staff were ok, I wouldn't say anyone really stood out, except probably the housekeepers who kept our room clean for the two nights we were there.
The location couldn't be any closer to the park, about 1 mile. Overall I would totally recommend this Motel/Hotel. I say motel as I think it was at one point and there's no room service. Oh the breakfast buffet is just ok.
Don't bother with the Mexican restaurant accross the street it sucked. Sizzling chicken fajitas came out stone cold I swear. We never got our margaritas until half way through our meal. Probably would have enjoyed I Hop better than that place.

Room Tip: If you don't want to bother with an elevator then get a ground floor.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank nigelmayer
New Zealand
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Cripes! Why did I pay to feel like I was such an inconvenience to reception staff? How could they make a room (and NOT a cheap room but one of the cheapest rooms in the area, apparently) feel so second rate?

Here's how: curtness and no smiles is always wonderfully alienating. Blood stains on the mattress protector beneath the sheets that can be seen through the sheets - a nice touch. Ripped out smoke detector on ceiling, ripped out fridge space, and a 50 metre walk (including outdoors) to any facilities - spa, restaurant, reception, etc.

Restaurant for dinner was average. Dinner was padded out with a LOT of lettuce but it was okay. The service was very friendly. The service charge hidden in the bill was a bit of nasty - beware.

The spa was lovely. Pool was closed (winter) - not a surprise. We stayed in the double-double rooms in 2nd building. Maybe the rooms that have been upgraded (I thought all had been upgraded but that's not so) are better. We endured 3 nights only because we couldn't be hassled to move everything. Would not stay there again. Pay more and be more comfortable elsewhere

Room Tip: Go for a renovated room. Avoid not being in the main building where reception is.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Kinuck

Travellers are raving about these Tusayan hotels

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We booked this hotel, as that was the only thing available to us. However, we were pleasantly surprised by the hotel and the services.

We reached the hotel at 2.30 am, and there was a staff member at the registration desk - not sleeping, not away from desk - but waiting for us (it seemed) & welcoming us. I just had to say we have 4 rooms reserved, and she immediately took out all the 4 room keys (she was prepared already) and i just had to sign 4 sheets, and we were done. What i really liked was that she was helpful, even at that time. She gave us a few quick tips about when we should start our day the next day in order to see the canyon. The lobby was also decorated real nice and had warm fireplace. It was a great first impression.

The best part about the 4 rooms we booked - they were together! Believe me, i've requested this at every hotel i've booked more than 2 rooms at, but i've rarely got the rooms together. And here we got it - it is SO much fun when the rooms are together, whether you are with friends or family.

The rooms themselves were very clean, pleasant and nicely made. We had requested for King beds, but they could manage only 2 rooms with that, which we were ok with. The best part about the rooms was they had plenty of towels (hand, face & body) already in the room. They had extra sets of soaps & shampoos in a drawer, in case we needed them, and the rooms we got had 2 washbasins each. That's a great help when you want to shave in the morning, and the Mrs wants to do her makeup :)

The only negative - the water pressure in the showers was at best a trickle. It took me 10 minutes to just wash off the soap from my hands!

But on the positive side - the hotel was just 2 miles from the Grand Canyon park entrance. Also, they had breakfast included with every room, so we had a good hearty breakfast before we went exploring the canyon.

Overall, a very good hotel, and a pleasant surprise - I would really like to give the staff 2 thumbs up for their friendliness and courtesy.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the inner restaurant have a nice view.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank xs2xa
Mountain View, California
Reviewed 2 January 2012

This hotel is pet friendly which is great cos I wanted to bring my corgi to see the Grand Canyon!

The location is excellent for the price as it is about 1 mile away from the South Entrance and made it easy for us to see most of the Grand Canyon then come back to the hotel to rest and nap so that we could wake up in time to spend the New Year celebration up on the Grand Canyon itself in pitch black darkness! (Just realise that the entrance to hotel is right next to the IMAX theater.)

The room is was pretty ok. Better than I expected. Here's the best plan...book DIRECT from their website and ask for the bed and breakfast manager's special. Instead of paying $98 for booking through Priceline or Expedia, we paid $78 for the same room WITH free breakfast. And managed to get a free upgrade to a room with a King sized bed too. =) The free breakfast is ok...i wouldn't pay for the meal, but since it was free, I can't really complain. ;)

I would stay here again...everything in the room worked fine and the toilet was clean and amenties in the room were good too. Oh and the bed was very comfy.

Room Tip: Buy direct from their website. There are manager specials available!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Zoegan
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 31 December 2011

A little tricky to find as it doesn't front on to the mainstreet otherwise a good quality hotel. My room was a good size and the restaurant had choice of buffet or ala carte. Staff were friendly and I was able to park near my room. The concierge was patient and helpful at recommending helicopter flights and places to see and enjoy short walks.

Room Tip: Be wary of a room over the pool, if you don't want to watch and worry about other people's c...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tusayan
Best Western Premier Grand Canyon Squire Inn
El Tovar Hotel
El Tovar Hotel
#1 of 3 in Grand Canyon National Park
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,861 reviews

Been to Canyon Plaza Resort? Share your experiences!