I stayed here on a recent trip to Grand Canyon and was very pleasantly surprised. Holiday Inn Express doesn't immediately come to mind when I think of luxury accommodations, plus the hotel's close proximity to Grand Canyon with a constant turnover of hoardes of tourists didn't bolster my expectations.
It wasn't that way at all..
This is a very large hotel and consists of two buildings, the main hotel and a separate annex across the parking lot. I don't know how old the hotel is, but everything seemed fresh and new...the room, the lobby, the common areas, the breakfast room, all of it. I think this was previously operated as a different hotel and my guess is that it was refurbuished when Holiday Inn took over. Access to all rooms is through the interior of the hotel with a magnetic key card.
My two queen-bed room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The furniture, carpeting and window coverings were all in good shape The beds were very comfortable and each came with four pillows two labelled "soft" and two "firm". The towels in the bathroom were generous and the room was equipped with the usual amenities, like toiletries, an ironing board, flat screen TV and remote with a decent selection of popular channels. No movies, but one channel with information about GCNP. The heating/cooling unit was a typical under-window hotel/motel unit and seemed to work quietly and efficiently, but I did not use the AC during my stay. Some rooms had microwaves and small refrigerators. Mine did not.
The breakfast selection was extensive and each building had it's own breakfast area. Besides the usual fare like muffins, cereal, juice and coffee, there were mini cheese omlettes, bacon, waffles, a rather fascinating pancake maker, fruit, bagels, and pastries. It was not gourmet food, but was much heartier fare than most freebie breakfasts, quite satisfying and kept well stocked. Don't delay in getting down to breakfast. The doors close promptly at 9:30 (maybe even 9:28) and they immediately start putting things away.
There is an indoor pool and spa, but I did not take advantage of these facilities. Several other guests did, and the pool area was rather busy on an evening in late March. It could be chaos during the peak tourist season with more families traveling on vacation. I don't know if the second building has it's own pool/spa.
The staff was courteous and efficient and check-in/check-out was quick and hassle free. I paid $117/night plus tax with a AAA discount. My son and his family paid even less for a mini-suite in the other building booked through Priceline. He was as happy with his stay as I was with mine.
The location of the hotel is as close as you can get to Grand Canyon without actually staying inside the park itself. There are several other hotels, restaurants and tourist facilities clustered in the immediate area. The entrance to the park is just 5-6 miles down the road.
The only possible negative is a parking lot that is packed with cars. Disclaimer: I can't imagine any hotel of this size, in this area being problem free during the height of the tourist season, but my stay in late March was quite pleasant and a great value.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Canyon Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites features 164 guest rooms and a 32 suite room annex. Free in-room high speed Internet access is available. We are entirely a non-smoking hotel. The Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites is located one mile from the Grand Canyon National Park South Rim entrance. Dining and entertainment within walking distance. 1/2 mile from the Grand Canyon Airport and Helibase. Air tours, jeep rides, raft trips, can be arranged from the hotel. Free continental breakfast from 6:30 am to 9:30 am. KidSuites Available for 2 adults and three children - Queen rooms have 4 person max, and King Rooms have 2 person max. Visit Grand Canyon, AZ and Stay Smart at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ebookers, Ctrip TA, Priceline, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Grand Canyon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Grand Canyon Hotel Tusayan
- Holiday Inn Grand Canyon National Park
- Grand Canyon National Park Holiday Inn