My wife and I love Holiday Inn Expresses. They are always clean, comfortable and affordable. Since most are identical, we trust the brand.
Not so with this property. Although we were greeted, and checked in by a very nice lady, going into the room changed our mind about this Holiday Inn Express.
The hallway was our first clue. Normally, Holiday Inn Expresses are clean throughout. Not so with this one. More like an older Super 8. The hallway smelled and was littered with trash/dirt/misc stuff. (although there was a man going around with a "fogging device" making a sweet scent.)
As we always check the beds and floors for bed bugs, we see how well the places are kept. This one had several issues never seen in a Holiday Inn Express.
One: The mattress was old, badly worn and had a nasty red stain on the side. The date, written on the mattress, with making pen, was Nov. 2011. I feel the mattress was much older.
Two: There was no mattress pad. and no protection from the dirty mattress.
Three: The bottom sheet was place on inside out, giving us the impression it has been "turned" rather than replaced. It did not smell fresh.
Four: Moving the bed found all sorts of dirt, lint and other things on the floor. Again, something we have never seen in a Holiday inn Express.
We contacted the staff. A young man came to check the problems. He said he would get back to us. We were in the room for about an hour, including checking the first room, before our room was changed.
The new room was better, but the floor was still not as good as expected in a IHG property. My wife had insisted on a mattress pad, which the new room had.
No one apologized for the first room and we were treated as if we were a problem.
And, no workout room?
This kind of facility makes us believe it is not locally owned and operated. This kind of setting makes us believe it is foreign owned by people who don't care about the patrons.
We will continue to use Holiday Inn Expresses because this is a very isolated case. In fact, we have never seen this kind of situation in a Holiday Inn Express or any IHG property.
There are several other motels in the area. I would never use this one again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Canyon Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites features 164 guest rooms and a 32 suite room annex. Free in-room high speed Internet access is available. We are entirely a non-smoking hotel. The Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites is located one mile from the Grand Canyon National Park South Rim entrance. Dining and entertainment within walking distance. 1/2 mile from the Grand Canyon Airport and Helibase. Air tours, jeep rides, raft trips, can be arranged from the hotel. Free continental breakfast from 6:30 am to 9:30 am. KidSuites Available for 2 adults and three children - Queen rooms have 4 person max, and King Rooms have 2 person max. Visit Grand Canyon, AZ and Stay Smart at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Agoda, Ebookers, Hotel.de and HRS so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Grand Canyon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Grand Canyon Hotel Tusayan
- Holiday Inn Grand Canyon National Park
- Grand Canyon National Park Holiday Inn