“I got what I expected”

Holiday Inn Express Grand Canyon
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Tusayan
Reviewed 27 April 2014

It was expensive as 2 queen beds room and dinning space was super busy for breakfast both of my days at 7am and 9am. I needed to wait 10 minutes to check in as 3 or 4 parties arrived prioir to me. I admit it is reasonable by consideing the fact we stayed in a litte busy season (spring break time) at very popular destination. It was just what I expected and nothing was wrong. If you do not mind driving 30 to 60 minutes before reaching the park, I would definintely recommend to stay out of this area.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Grand Canyon, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2014

Dear Hiroshi O,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the check in experience. We will look into this concern. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We booked a last-minute trip to the GC and were unable to secure lodging inside the national park. Hotwire hooked us up with this hotel, and I was disappointed before I realized that there are incredibly limited options in Tusayan. The hotel was clean, beds super comfortable, and staff friendly and courteous. Tusayan is small and all the restaurants- event takeout pizza- is within walking distance. The pool is disappointing, the spa more-so- very small and packed full of folks trying to get the energy out of their children, but probably to be expected in such a touristy area. I have read several reviews complaining about the breakfast and I don't understand the complaints. It was microwaved and a "heavy continental," but I had no problem getting in and getting out to eat the food and drink my coffee back in my room before getting ready to head out to the canyon, a short drive away. Judging from the outside of other hotels in the area, I'm not sure you can do much better.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

No military rates....paid more for one night than I did for three in SF Bay Area! Rooms were nice, hotel clean, great location near the Canyon. Convenient to stores, food, and gas. The town is about a mile long, so nothing is too far away. Breakfast was a free-for-all, a nightmare. Staff didn't clean the tables...at all. Breakfast area too small had bus load of others come in for breakfast, and take all the tables! I love the town, and this area of the Canyon, but will stay somewhere else next time. This was my 3rd time to this area.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Grand Canyon, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Dear Robert S,

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We are delighted our location suited your travel well. Your satisfaction is important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. Please accept our sincere apology for the overall dissatisfaction you experienced. We have taken note of your comments regarding our breakfast area and this will be shared with our Management team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed.

Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and hope that you will consider us again on your next travel.

Joel B

Reviewed 25 April 2014

As older English travellers we usually preferred to stay in pretty unusual and quirky hotels on our travels around the south west, and this was our first, large, corporate type hotel, and I have to say we really enjoyed it. It was the hotel version of 'mass transit', but it was really well done. Perfectly nice rooms, all the facilities, all beautifully done. Feeding the masses at breakfast time was on an industrial scale, but again, really well done, with long hours, FANTASTIC choice, and for us, a chance to meet with some really nice fellow diners. Well positioned for the national park. My only complaint would be something the hotel had no control over, the damned helicopters coming over at dawn from Vegas and waking us up. Other than that we were very pleasantly surprised by the whole experience.

Room Tip: All good as far as we could tell.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We booked a fairly last minute vacation to the Grand Canyon and resorted to looking at Tusayan for rooms since the Grand Village lodges were full. In retrospect, I'm really glad we did stay in Tusayan. It seemed more low key, you didn't have tourists wandering a few feet outside your room, and you had plentiful options for dinner options and snacks at a few different general stores. We enjoyed the two long days we spent at the Canyon, but when we were done and looking for a break, it was nice to escape the chaos of the Grand Canyon Village area.

We stayed at a suite, which I definitely wouldn't recommend to anyone staying just a few nights. The suite area was a small loveseat and desk on one side, and the bed area on the other. We had a small balcony, but there was no seating so that was pretty pointless. We would've been totally fine with a standard size room. I can't speak for someone staying for 3+ days, but we definitely felt the suite was not worth the extra money. I saw a lot of reviews about chaotic check in and breakfasts, but we had a breeze checking in at 4pm, the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, and breakfasts were well-stocked. If you've been to a HIE before, you know what to expect for food, but at least it's free and very convenient so that was definitely a plus.

I can't say whether or not one of the other hotels in Tusayan would've been better or worse, but with a great location and friendly staff, I'd definitely recommend staying there again (in a standard room though!).

1  Thank Anntastica
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Grand Canyon, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Anntastica,

Thank you for your comprehensive review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your overall stay with us. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge the staff concerned. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer for to our guests.

Jaime W

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Hotel is very close to Grand Canyon national park . there are a few good restaurants close to hotel its good. And National Geographic visitor center is only walking distance. I recommend this hotel. Easy and safe parking area, good breakfeast and wifi are other benefits .. Thank you.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We stayed here one night, early April, 2014. Found best price right on hotel site (and I scrounged around, don't waste your time), price included an amazing breakfast (very busy, but what do you expect, they refilled constantly). Room was very clean, king bed, nice flat screen tv. We had handicap room on first floor. Bathroom was beautiful. They recommended mexican resto next door, it was okay, large portions, very mexican furniture. If we were coming to GC again, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. Staff very helpful and friendly. This is a multicultural experience, you will meet people/families travelling from every corner of the earth here to see the GC!! Oh, and extremely close to GC entrance. Tusayan is a neat little place. This was a "bucket list" vacay for us. Hubby has Lou Gehrig's. They treated us right!

Room Tip: We needed handicap room, so were put on 1st floor, it was quiet, but busy. Bathroom is very nice!!
2  Thank luckytimer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tusayan
Best Western Premier Grand Canyon Squire Inn
#4 of 6 in Tusayan
El Tovar Hotel
El Tovar Hotel
#1 of 3 in Grand Canyon National Park

Been to Holiday Inn Express Grand Canyon? Share your experiences!