“Mixed impressions...”

Holiday Inn Express Grand Canyon
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Tusayan
Reviewed 5 June 2014

What we liked:
- We had a great suite, very comfortable, also comfortable bed
- Shuttle bus stop across the street which takes you to the park in no time
- Very nice and helpful staff

What we disliked:
- Poor Wifi performance
- No effective sunshade in the bedroom, there will be bright sunlight at 6 am
- You can hear your neighbours clearly
- No gym
- Poor atmosphere in the breakfast room
- Bathroom much to small

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Grand Canyon, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear Carlos C,

Thank you for writing us a candid review. We are very happy to read that you liked your suite, the comfortable bed, and shuttle service. Thank you very much for your kind words of praise for our staff. On the other hand, it seems that some issues with WiFi connectivity, window shades and the size of the bathroom were a let down. Please accept our apologies for the challenges with the noise you have experienced during your stay. I will discuss your comments with our managers and will take action to rectify this. I do hope we can welcome you back here with a completely satisfying hotel stay.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Positives- The room was very clean, huge breakfast served every morning, close proximity to Grand Canyon National Park, friendly staff, good price considering the area (all the hotels there are CRAZY expensive, so just expect that)

Negatives- The breakfast was largely inedible, we basically survived off of their cinnamon rolls and bacon.

Overall, we were very happy with our stay!

Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed here for two nights as we visited the Grand Canyon and were very pleased with our choice. Clean and fresh room, Ethernet hookup for our laptop computer, very nice free breakfast in the mornings, convenient location. Tusayan is pretty much just a wide spot in the road with about 6 hotels, some restaurants, and a National Geographic IMAX. It's all walking distance and you can also catch a free shuttle bus (free once you've bought the $25.00 entrance fee -- equivalent to one private vehicle, that is) up to the Grand Canyon visitor's center, about 5 miles away. From there, you can switch to other free shuttles to various locations in the Park. We came and went several times from the hotel, either up to the Canyon or walking to dining, souvenir shops, or the NatGeo center. If we make it back to the Canyon, we'll try to stay here again. The price is about double what I'd usually pay (around $200 a night), but everything is expensive at the Grand Canyon, so I was prepared for it. As it turned out, with my AAA discount, it wasn't as bad as I expected on the final bill.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I booked two nights for Monday May 19th-Wednesday May 21nd for my parents anniversary (they were traveling cross country and seeing the national momuments)

Monday checked-in was fine.
Tuesday the key did not work and the front desk reprogrammed the key.
Tuesday night at 10:15 pm there is a banging on the door and the staff member said What are you doing in this room. "You are not supposed to be here" and kicked my parents out of their room. Eventually after showing them printout of their reservation confirmations they were told "fine you can stay in their paid for room for the night" and did not offer any apologizes.
Now Wednesday morning at check out my parents told the front desk what happened and was told to contact the manager Yastacia and tell her what happen.
Now multiple attempts have been made to contact this manager and I am constantly being ignored.
I routinely told she is either out of the office and to call back later.
I also have left multiple messages and never once received a response back.
I also called IHG and the person that I was talking to said she will open up a case and I should hear back from the manager but also said said it was just a computer glitch and that started creating excuses for the hotel.

Thanks for ruining my parents vacation IGH.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Sean S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Grand Canyon, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Sean S,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding the stay.

Again, thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

John O

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed two nights at this hotel. It's very convenient to restaurants and the entrance to the park. It was very clean and well maintained. I was originally disappointed in being assigned a room in the annex across the street from the main hotel building but found my stay quite satisfactory. Hiking and shopping are very convenient to the hotel and it's quite close to the National Geographic Visitors Center and IMAX theater. The steak house across the street is a tourist rip off... Avoid it. Buses are free with park pass and convenient, although they tend to be *fragrant*!

The breakfast at the hotel was adequate and while we did encounter other guests, it never had the feel of being overcrowded or ill maintained. I would stay here again

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank remuda1
Reviewed 29 May 2014

After spending the entire day at the Grand Canyon, we had reservations here at the Holiday Inn Express. It is a very busy Inn and in the middle of April, we were surprised to see that they were SOLD OUT so reservations are highly recommended year round! It is definitely a "no frills" place to stay. Someone told us that it had recently been remodeld but we were surprised to hear that. Most Holiday Inns offer a very nice breakfast in the morning as this one did. If you're trying to keep your hotel and food expenses manageable, this is the place to stay besides the fact that your options are limited in this small town.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Grand Canyon, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Dear Phyllis D,

Thank you for sharing your experience. Please know it is always a pleasure to assist you and that we will do our best to ensure you are highly satisfied with your stay. We are so delighted to read you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast. We appreciate all the feedback we receive from our valued guests like you, as this enables us to improve and continually provide the best experience possible. Thank you for staying and we look forward to your next future visit.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights end of April and,after reading reviews,had low expectations. Room was large and well decorated and very clean.Nice toiletries and basics such as combs,toothbrushes,etc free at reception.We were already feeling happy with our choice when I had the misfortune on the 1st night to slip off the sidewalk and take a bad tumble.I hoped I had just bruised it but by early morning it was obvious it was broken.We were getting directions for Flagstaff hospital when the receptionist,I think Leeta,made me a brilliant temporary splint.Back by lunchtime after hospital and asked at the restaurant if it was possible for anything to eat as we had missed breakfast.Even though they had closed up she brought yoghurt,fruit,rolls,juice,coffee and served us in reception lounge.It was so kind of them,even more so when they wouldn't even take a tip.I'm sorry this is long-windedly but I was so impressed with them at what was a difficult time for us,
Breakfast next day was great and Sophie's Mexican restaurant very good.

Stayed: April 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tusayan
Best Western Premier Grand Canyon Squire Inn
#4 of 6 in Tusayan
El Tovar Hotel
El Tovar Hotel
#1 of 3 in Grand Canyon National Park

Been to Holiday Inn Express Grand Canyon? Share your experiences!