We were an extended family with 3 children, ages varying from 6 to 15, and one family member who is allergic to horses. Everyone had a great time as there is lots to do besides the horses; tennis, swimming, hiking, Jeep tour (which was an amazing and informative adventure through the desert that gave us all a new respect for the terrain), Skeet shooting (fun even for first timers), cook outs that are amazing (a lunch time cook out at Vulture's Peek and an evening cook out within walking distance of the Ranch), historic Wickenburg with cute shops, a wonderful museum, and loads of history (the staff can zip you into town if you do not have a car) and the golf course and spa.
The resort staff are second to none; from the wranglers, to bartenders, to maids, to wait staff, to manager, they are friendly, professional and fun. Many of the staff knew our 6 year old son by name and would take the time to chat with him and answer his never ending questions. The ranch owner hosts a Meet and Greet on Monday nights.
The food is outstanding and you never go hungry. The menu varies and there is lots of choice. There is always a plate of wonderful cookies at the bar to snack on throughout the day, but be careful, as one leads to more! Water, ice tea and lemonade are free at the bar throughout your stay.
The horses are beautiful and very well taken care of. Make sure you take the time to watch them run from the ranch to their night time paddock (around 1620) and the reverse in the morning (around 0725). The trail rides through the dessert are an experience and rides are grouped on your riding experience so make sure the head wrangler knows your abilities. We were able to 'lope' and canter on our rides. There are no helmets so if you want one you need to bring one.......the sun was very hot and we all wore brimmed hats. No adults wore helmets but a few kids wore them on the kids morning ride.
Riding for kids under 8 was a small issue as it turned out to be a few laps around a small ring every morning. The ranch advertised riding in a ring with instruction so I asked and our son was given a different horse with a wrangler instructing him, we were all thrilled and our son's smile was huge.
There is a photographer on site who takes amazing pictures of you throughout your stay, she does a really great job of capturing the moments and expressions. You can buy a CD of all your pictures at the end of your stay.
The ranch also has lots of nature walks which we did not have time to take in. One evening a week, the ranch hosts an evening of star gazing with professionals to show and educate you about the night sky. It was incredible.
This resort definitely has something for everyone. We will be returning with even more family!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Come ride our rugged trails, tee off at one of Golf Digest's Top 100 U.S. courses or luxuriate in a spa treatment featuring local desert ingredients. Savor cookout feasts with old friends and old wines, or make new friends over fresh local fare in the nostalgic main lodge. Bring the kids and celebrate our holiday traditions like Christmas boots by the fireplace and Easter egg hunts. Or make it a memorable couples-affair with peaceful rides and moonlit nature walks. At Rancho de los Caballeros there's always something to do, including doing nothing - preferably by the pool. Come retreat for a weekend or more and see what makes us so special. With 20,000 acres of lush open range, 100 saddle horses and seasoned wranglers to reassure greenhorns, the ranch offers an uncommon Western vacation you'll never forget. Full American Plan rates include three inspired meals each day... just listen for the dinner bell and savor a half-century tradition of Western hospitality and personalized service. At Rancho de los Caballeros, you'll feel right at home on the range. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Agoda, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Traveltool, S.L.U., Odigeo and HotelQuickly so you can book your Rancho de los Caballeros reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rancho De Los Caballeros Hotel Wickenburg
- Rancho De Los Caballeros Wickenburg, Arizona