“Family Wrangler Vacation”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Wickenburg
Ottawa, Canada
“Family Wrangler Vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

We were an extended family with 3 children, ages varying from 6 to 15, and one family member who is allergic to horses. Everyone had a great time as there is lots to do besides the horses; tennis, swimming, hiking, Jeep tour (which was an amazing and informative adventure through the desert that gave us all a new respect for the terrain), Skeet shooting (fun even for first timers), cook outs that are amazing (a lunch time cook out at Vulture's Peek and an evening cook out within walking distance of the Ranch), historic Wickenburg with cute shops, a wonderful museum, and loads of history (the staff can zip you into town if you do not have a car) and the golf course and spa.

The resort staff are second to none; from the wranglers, to bartenders, to maids, to wait staff, to manager, they are friendly, professional and fun. Many of the staff knew our 6 year old son by name and would take the time to chat with him and answer his never ending questions. The ranch owner hosts a Meet and Greet on Monday nights.

The food is outstanding and you never go hungry. The menu varies and there is lots of choice. There is always a plate of wonderful cookies at the bar to snack on throughout the day, but be careful, as one leads to more! Water, ice tea and lemonade are free at the bar throughout your stay.

The horses are beautiful and very well taken care of. Make sure you take the time to watch them run from the ranch to their night time paddock (around 1620) and the reverse in the morning (around 0725). The trail rides through the dessert are an experience and rides are grouped on your riding experience so make sure the head wrangler knows your abilities. We were able to 'lope' and canter on our rides. There are no helmets so if you want one you need to bring one.......the sun was very hot and we all wore brimmed hats. No adults wore helmets but a few kids wore them on the kids morning ride.

Riding for kids under 8 was a small issue as it turned out to be a few laps around a small ring every morning. The ranch advertised riding in a ring with instruction so I asked and our son was given a different horse with a wrangler instructing him, we were all thrilled and our son's smile was huge.

There is a photographer on site who takes amazing pictures of you throughout your stay, she does a really great job of capturing the moments and expressions. You can buy a CD of all your pictures at the end of your stay.

The ranch also has lots of nature walks which we did not have time to take in. One evening a week, the ranch hosts an evening of star gazing with professionals to show and educate you about the night sky. It was incredible.

This resort definitely has something for everyone. We will be returning with even more family!

Room Tip: All the rooms are divided bungalows, cute and quaint. Let the staff know your needs and they will d...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Treena S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Seattle, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

Three hardworking professional women seeking a relaxing getaway...We are fairly seasoned travelers who have been to many of the usual luxurious destinations. This time we were looking for something different. OK, to be honest, it was my nutty idea and I talked my friends into it. But by the end, we all agreed it was one of our favorite girls trips. The staff were genuine and friendly without exception. The horseback rides on the desert trails were gentle or exciting, depending on our comfort level. The wranglers gave calm and concise instructions. The food was delicious, and it felt liberating to not have to choose restaurants or worry about reservations. We drank wine by the pool in the afternoons, and became too lazy to try out the golf course, but it looked nice. I can't wait to bring my children to the ranch when they are old enough to experience this lovely, traditional, all-American way of life.

Room Tip: Book your spa appointments in advance.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Michelle E
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

First time to Arizona and sadly arrived too late at night to enjoy the scenery or eat in the restaurant, disappointed to see that no arrangements had been made for catering for our notified late arrival so despite all meals being included in the rate we missed out. Horse riding great but ensure you are honest when being asked how well you ride, as we ended up with a 3 hour walk in the desert as 3 of the group it turned out were novices in with 4 experienced riders so nothing faster than a walk was permitted. Golf course well established but greens very fast, overall course not too challenging. 2 tennis courts very good condition, well maintained gardens with the option of a daily guided nature walk. Off site ATV 3 hour excursions or open top jeep tours available, skeet shooting and an entertaining evening cook out in the desert was fun. Cuisine good and well organised, staff attentive and happy to please. Jackets being needed at dinner which could then be removed once seated seemed a bit of a strange requirement. Rooms still need further modernising and en suite bathrooms definitely needed bringing into the 21st century, also need roomsafes but a wonderful place for a 3 day break.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank Ricard Y
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

This was our first time at the ranch. Everything exceeded our expectations. Riding a good horse in beautiful terrain with a great guide really heals the spirit. Food is really good also.
We will definitely try for next year!

Room Tip: We had 212 on the end and loved the privacy, quiet and bird watching.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jim B
Overland Park, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

For me going back to "the ranch", as many of the returning guests call it, is a yearly escape from school, drama, and stress. I have a group of friends I hang out with every year while I'm there, I basically consider the returning wranglers family, and I talk with them on Facebook regularly. This will my tenth year out there and I wouldn't want to go anywhere else for spring break.

The food is FABULOUS, the riding is a perfect escape for me since I compete on the show jumping circuit all year round, and while I don't golf my step-dad has told me it's very nice. I ride twice a day and love each one of them. Even if the rides are nose-to-tail and you don't get a true "ranch experience" it is still very pleasant, and you get to know the wranglers quite well.

I enjoy the food there quite a bit: breakfast and lunch are all you can eat buffets, and dinner is a sit meal where everyone must dress up slightly if they are eating in the main dining area. Chef Lupe's specials are delicious every night, for an appetizer I almost always have the tortilla chicken soup; however, their chicken caesar salad is great as well.

The ranch is a second home for me, the returning wranglers all are amazing: Willum, Larry, Jesse, Caroline, 'Lol, and CW. Each one of them is a character and quite entertaining, CW is practically a 2nd dad to me, Caroline is one best friends and basically a 2nd mom, and Jesse and Larry are some of my best friends. I really do consider it a second home and an escape, the scenery is amazing, it's relaxing and secluded, the perfect way to get away from reality.

Room Tip: I have stayed in the smaller rooms my whole time there; however, I think all the rooms are great for...
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank midwestcowgirl
lb,il
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

We immensely enjoyed our all too brief stay at the Rancho. From the fire in the fireplace in our room, to watching the dessert under a starry sky evenings were special. Every employee was helpful and gracious which isn't always the case when resort fees include tips. Effie, the wrangler who led our ride, deserves special mention. The food was remarkable both for its quality and the many choices available at every meal. Everything is home cooked from scratch! We were sad to leave

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank chr_8
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

Hard to sound unbiasaed when we have been back so many times since 1981. Then again I guess that says it all. Great western hospitality, horseback riding and and ammenities.

• Stayed December 2011