“In need of a serious make-over - from facilities to staff”

Rancho de los Caballeros
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Wickenburg
Vienna, Virginia
“In need of a serious make-over - from facilities to staff”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

OVERALL

We had a 3 day/2 night stay at the resort during the week prior to Easter. While some aspects of the resort were wonderful, others were woefully lacking. My kids and I like to be active and explore our surroundings, enjoying nature along the way. The only way we could really do this here was to sit and enjoy the view. So – we were bored and disappointed. My husband likes a relaxing place where he can sit around, read a book, take a nap and be fed well. So for him this was perfect. It would have been perfect for all of us if the resort had lived up to its own hype and provided what they state on their website. Alas – they don’t. So, I am guessing it depends on your expectations for the price whether you’ll be happy or not. We did make friends with a few other families here and they all said the same thing. There are many people here (and a surprising amount from the United Kingdom) that stay here year after year and have been doing so for 20 + years. But if the resort wants to attract new families to do the same, they have got to provide better facilities and services. I am posting a copy of their weekly activity info as jpegs.

FOOD

The stay was part of a greater 9 day road trip through Arizona and it was by far (really, really by far) – the best food we had during our vacation. The breakfast and lunch buffets are gourmet in every way. Lunch offered an incredible salad bar and dessert bar – but also soups, hot entrees, a cold cut/sandwich station, chips and salsa, homemade potato chips, a fresh roasted, hand carved meat (one day ham and the next pork loin), vegetables and other side dishes. Breakfast offered just about anything you can think of, including and omelet station, made to order pancakes (with your choice of fillings), made to order Belgian waffles, hot cereal, cold cereal, pastries, breads, bagels, lox, cold cuts, hard boiled eggs, hot eggs, bacon, sausage, - you name it. The staff and chef are friendly, helpful and attentive. Dinner is a sit down service that offers your choice of several salads, soups or appetizers, entrees and also desserts. Entrees include a meat special, a Sonoran desert special (local cuisine and flavors), and fish special nightly + a choice of probably 6-8 other entrees. Portions are large, flavors intense and bold, ingredients fresh. They are very attentive to special dietary needs. After they served a strawberry as a garnish one day on my son’s plate and we told them he was allergic, they made the next night to take it off his plate (without us having to remind them). I always find it a bit weird that an all inclusive price does not include soda or iced tea, so expect a bill for $2.30 for each one you order.

HORSES

Everyone involved in riding in any way was superb. This includes the admin staff, wranglers, cowboys and professional photographer. Just very down to earth, easy-going, out to make sure you have a good time people. The stable area is open just about always for you to go visit the horses, pet them and admire their beauty. Day one we went on a family trail ride. The next day, my daughter went out with a kids trail ride. All trail rides are 2 hours long. The kids ride is grouped into ages. No cowboy takes more than maybe 6-8 riders out at any one time. Horses are gentle and almost go on autopilot (good for us occasional riders). Scenery is spectacular. Feel free to bring a water bottle, a camera and a cowboy hat. Don’t have a cowboy hat? They’ll let you borrow one. Need a small saddle bag for the water bottles, small camera or (in our case Kleenex due to allergies) – just ask. They have cute bags made from the tops of recycled cowboy boots that go right on the saddle horn. Wear long pants, long sleeves, a hat with a brim (but which ties around your neck – so no baseball caps) and some sturdy shoes. Price of rides is not included in rates, although we found the price of $65 to be reasonable.

POOL

Crowded and needs to be warmer than 78 degrees. With the temp getting low at night in the desert, the pool doesn’t really hold its heat very well.

RECEPTION/SERVICES

I am sad to report that these are the most unknowledgeable and unfriendly folks at the resort. Of course, the general manager apparently quit the week before, so perhaps management issues really are a problem here. Not helpful or knowledgeable about area attractions. Not engaging or friendly. No brochures or info available. Not even knowledgeable about their own offerings. Twice in two days we asked different people questions about the resort and they didn’t have proper information. Then someone who claimed to be the manager yelled at one of the employees in front of us and said that everything we were told was wrong and demanded to know who we spoke to and when so that she could take notes and yell at them. And she already had a pad and pen in hand. Highly unprofessional. She never bothered to apologize or try to fix any problems we had. She seemed to be intent only on chastising her employees.

ROOMS

We are a family of four with a 10 year old and 13 year old. We stayed in a Maricopa Suite which had a separate queen bedroom, large bathroom, kitchenette and large living space with a Murphy bed. My kids rarely complain about beds, but they said the Murphy bed was so uncomfortable that they didn’t sleep well at all. Queen bed was comfy though. The living area is very bright with windows all around. Not very private, as people can see in while they are walking around the resort, but that was expected. But if you’re craving real privacy, you might want to opt for different accommodations. The furnishings, bathroom, floor etc are very, very dated and really could use an update. The bathroom, while huge, is particularly showing its age. The lighting is awful. It is so dim in the bedroom, hallway and bathroom that we needed a flashlight. Actually – you might even opt for a flashlight while walking around the resort at night. Couldn’t read by the light at all. Hard to put on make-up too.

MAID SERVICE

Downright awful. The maid service was so bad that all they did was make a bed and change out towels. Didn’t sweep, empty trash or wipe down a mirror. I questioned if things were clean at all once I lifted towels off the tub and found rubbish under the neatly folded towels. And one day the toilet would not flush properly. We reported this on our way out for a trail ride and lunch. When we came back, we assumed it was fixed, only to find out that it wasn’t when my son tried to flush and it nearly overflowed. Called again and we were told it was fine. Apparently it “looked fine” to them, so they never even tried it to find the issue and fix it. Next thing I know I am getting out of a shower and the maid comes running in unannounced. She never knocked on our front door or announced herself. I asked for a few minutes to get descent and turned the corner to enter my bedroom and the maintenance man was already standing there with plumbing tools in hand. Neither apologized at all. Worst thing – they didn’t bother to mop the bathroom and clean it after they fixed the toilet. If we weren’t checking out the next day anyway, we would have demanded a refund and left anyway.

AMENITIES

Oh my goodness. More than $800 a night with tax and they didn’t have “enough people signed up” so they cancelled the cowboy dinner. Now – we’re at a supposed dude ranch, booked specific days so that we could enjoy the cowboy dinner, entertainment and bonfire and you just cancel it??? Also found out that there are almost NO activities on a Sunday at all “because of the cowboys union.” Team penning is one day only per week. So some activities are extremely limited or just plain non-existent. When we asked about the nature center, we were told it is rarely open because it can only be open when their naturalist is there and he is rarely here. When he is – he is either doing something with the kids program or leading a ride. Kids play area (as indicated on map) is rather non-existent. They do have a small swing set/play area near tennis courts. They do lend tennis rackets and balls. We wanted to walk or hike some trails and asked for a map. They don’t have a trail map. Then I was informed that they prefer guests stay off the trails so that horses can use them exclusively (even though they only do rides twice per day). My son wanted to play basketball on the court outside of our building. Well – that’s staff quarters and only for staff to use and so they didn’t have a basketball. Everything we thought we’d enjoy based on the website turned out to be unavailable. And remember – we were there during the busy season – when activities should be plentiful.

SPA

My husband had a hot stone massage and thoroughly enjoyed it. He thought the spa facilities were the nicest facilities at the resort. Rooms are in separate little buildings, so they are very quiet and private. Be ready for a mandatory gratuity though – you can’t tip based on service alone. It’s already added in.

GROUNDS

Gorgeous and well kept. Fabulous views, wonderful landscaping and gardens.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
13 Thank Christie R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I have been going to the ranch since I was 6 months old. My grandparents have a house on the ranch so I have never have actually been a guest. The staff treats you like family or like you have know them forever. The food is amazing and the golf course has beautiful views while you eat! I would recommend renting your own car. You can go out and explorer the town of Wickenburg. The cowboys at the ranch are friendly and understanding to everyone. They want you to have a fun, safe, and beautiful ride. The ride from Phoenix airport is an hour and 30 minutes, which isn't bad because of the views of the valley. I go for Christmas/New Years and very other spring. For Christmas they have a giant tree with Santa riding in on a wagon with gifts. The party for New Years is a blast. Spring is the most colorful time in Arizona. The ranch is full if activities. I wouldn't image spending every Christmas/New Years and spring anywhere else!!! Highly recommended

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Erinbeesley
Spokane, WA USA
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We are from the northern part of the USA where it is cold in March. We wanted to go somewhere warm to get an early start on the golf game. This was the perfect place. The accommodations were lovely and the golf course was very well maintained. When we arrived we were quickly checked in. The resort campus is big and spread out. The bell staff had a golf cart to drive to our room in, they had us follow them in our car so we didn't get lost. They opened up the room and made sure we were situated before leaving us to settle in. The food was over the top good and plenteous. Breakfast an lunch are buffets and dinner is a sit down. The food is all included so it is all you can eat. Too many choices!! The wait staff is pleasant and helpful. And if that wasn't enough the horseback riding is above average for sure. The wranglers are attentive and happy folks. They have several different type of horse activities. You can sign up for different level of rides and then they also have team penning. It was so much fun. The Sonora desert leans a beauty to all these activities that you won't find elsewhere. I would go back again in a heartbeat!! The only drawback was that the neighbors had small children and I could hear them more than I wished. The grounds are exceptionally well kept and are like a museum of desert beauty.

Room Tip: All the rooms are duplex units. The neighbors will make a difference. Private but I could hear the...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Brooke_56_12
Voorhees, New Jersey
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Recently returned from a week at the ranch. We love to ride and were not disappointed. The ranch has everything you need to have a fulfilling, wonderful vacation. This is not a sleep in the bunk house type of place. If you want comfort, great food and staff that does everything they can to make your stay memorable this is the place. - Evidenced by the fact that we met numerous people who come back every year. Some for many years. The buffets for breakfast and lunch are endless and the dinners are the type you would be served at fine restaurants anywhere. Numerous activities besides horseback riding are available. One of the best golf courses in the country. We usually do not return to the same place twice since we like to go different locations but this is one we have marked for a future trip.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Joseph P
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 2 March 2014

This was our first visit to Rancho de los Caballeros. This is a sprawling compound with pools, golf, tennis and horseback riding. The rooms are very clean and QUITE spacious. Overall, the hotel is a bit dated and the rooms (bathrooms) could use some updating. However, you feel a bit like you're stepping back in time and that is part of its character / charm. This hotel is big with groups. Be advised that Wickenburg doesn't have a lot to offer and so the ranch truly is your destination. The riding was EXCELLENT. They pair you with a horse that's right for you and this isn't nose to tail riding. We were ini a very small group - just my husband and me and our wrangler (Garrett, who was very professional and friendly). The views are stunning. This ranch sits on 20,000 acres!
The only thing I would advise other travelers to consider is that the average age of the clientele is definitely 60 and over. The manager said that they were needing to draw a younger crowd and that really is simply a marketing thing because the ranch has a lot to offer. Live entertainment at night, a bar, outdoor seating area.....The food was average, nothing to complain about.....but nothing amazing either. Overall, a very good, solid experience.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SafariSnob
Bowling Green, Kentucky
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Beautiful place everything you need is here. The sky was not clouded by city lights; I had forgotten how nice the stars are in the country. Was there for a week. They offered horse back riding and skeet shooting. The cowboy night cook out was great.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Vaelki
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 14 February 2014

It was my first visit but I will definitely go back. The place is beautiful and has the friendliest people working there, from the restaurant servers to the wranglers. They make you feel as if they have known you for a long time. At every meal, we had excellent food and lots to choose from. It was the most relaxing and fun vacation I have taken in a while.

Room Tip: a room with a patio and desert views was perfect, but there probably isn't a bad room in the pla...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family