Our family of 4, including a 13 year old girl and 10 year old boy enjoyed a fabulous 3 day/2night stay at Rancho de Los Caballeros, during a trip to the Phoenix area. We are not experienced riders and it was our first dude ranch experience.
Service: Booking by phone was easy, quick and pleasant. Front desk staff was informative and friendly and the young servers were extremely nice. Overall, it was a bit more upscale than we would have expected from a dude ranch, but it was a good introduction to this type of vacation; the atmosphere was low key and relaxed and many guests were repeat visitors. Our children had an opportunity to meet new friends at the kids camp or hanging around the pool table.
Rooms: We were upgraded to a newly renovated Maricopa Suite, which included a separate bedroom with a king bed, a pull-down Murphy bed for the kids, a kitchen, fireplace and large bathroom with jacuzzi tub and separate shower. The suite was very close to the amenities. Some guest rooms appear to be a good walk away, but the grounds and scenery are lovely, and some have the benefit of being able to see the horse run mornings and evenings.
Activities: There were numerous activities in addition to riding ( tennis, skeet/trap shooting, golf, a swimming pool, natures rides etc.) listed in a weekly flyer and daily near the front desk. Some at an additional cost. The number of things to do was a bit overwhelming. During our short stay our family enjoyed the 2 hour morning trail ride and 1-1/2 hour afternoon family ride. One can chose walk, walk/trot or a loping (canter) ride, and the actual trail rides differed based on the wrangler- lots of climbing on the desert hills or a flatter ride in the valley. The horses are tacked up for you, you just show up and hop on. The horses were well trained, gentle and obedient and the wranglers were focused both on fun and on safety. I felt very comfortable letting my 10 year son who has never ridden, ride off with the kids wrangler. Also, we arranged with the hotel to be driven (complementary ride) to a nearby trail head for a 2 hour hike up Vulture Peak.
Food/Bar: The meals were great: a buffet at breakfast and lunch eaten on the pool patio or in a sunny room overlooking the pool, and a sit down dinner (jackets required for men.) Good variety of dishes at all meals, some unique, certainly something for everyone, even a children's menu. The bar had a gorgeous view of the mountains in the distance, a nice fireplace and live pre-dinner music nightly during our short stay. No kids in the bar though, understandably, but families could sit nearby to hear the music.
The convenient location, just over one hour from Phoenix, and a few hours from Sedona was a bonus for us. We hope to go back one day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Come ride our rugged trails, tee off at one of Golf Digest's Top 100 U.S. courses or luxuriate in a spa treatment featuring local desert ingredients. Savor cookout feasts with old friends and old wines, or make new friends over fresh local fare in the nostalgic main lodge. Bring the kids and celebrate our holiday traditions like Christmas boots by the fireplace and Easter egg hunts. Or make it a memorable couples-affair with peaceful rides and moonlit nature walks. At Rancho de los Caballeros there's always something to do, including doing nothing - preferably by the pool. Come retreat for a weekend or more and see what makes us so special. With 20,000 acres of lush open range, 100 saddle horses and seasoned wranglers to reassure greenhorns, the ranch offers an uncommon Western vacation you'll never forget. Full American Plan rates include three inspired meals each day... just listen for the dinner bell and savor a half-century tradition of Western hospitality and personalized service. At Rancho de los Caballeros, you'll feel right at home on the range. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Rancho de los Caballeros reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rancho De Los Caballeros Hotel Wickenburg
- Rancho De Los Caballeros Wickenburg, Arizona