“Wonderful place to go back in time!”
Review of Flying E Ranch

Flying E Ranch
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Wickenburg
Reviewed 15 February 2014

My family just spent a weekend at the Flying E Ranch in Wickenburg, AZ.  The 12 of us ranged in age from 27 to 66.
Everyone had a wonderful time at the dude ranch. The service was impeccable. All the employees and volunteers were friendly, helpful and worked to be sure a great time was had by all. The accommodations were beautiful, wood-paneled rooms with many western touches. We shared a kitchenette with another room. But we never used the kitchenette because there was so much excellent food included. Besides 3 full meals, cookies, coffee and tea were always available. The was also a BYOB happy hour daily.
We took a two hour horseback ride ($45 extra) each day. Though most of us had little or no riding experience, we all loved it. There was a square dance where we laughed so hard we cried, even those who had vowed not to dance! We played horseshoes, shuffleboard, swam in the heated pool, and soaked in the spa. There was a sauna and small gym. Four of the guys went off-road bike riding on great trails, while others took hikes. Wifi is available in spots, and rooms have tvs if you can't disconnect.
The Flying E Dude Ranch is great for bonding or a reunion. Lasting memories were made. We will be back, next time with the grandkids!

Room Tip: All rooms are great. A few have bath tubs if you require that.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
flyingeranch, General Manager at Flying E Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Thanks for your review. It is always helpful for future guests to read reviews like you have written, as it is hard to promote all that we do here at the ranch. You explained many activities we offer, and everyone loves the cookie jar! We look forward to meeting your Grandchildren.

There are newer reviews for Flying E Ranch

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Having just spend 3 days at the Flying E Ranch, I feel absolutely compelled to write this great review. The Flying E Ranch and staff just blew my expectations out of the water. I have never been to a dude ranch before, as it was never really at the top of my list of vacations. But when my family decided to get a group together, I decided "what the heck." As soon as we got there I could tell that this place really had it's act together. Firstly, I have a difficult diet to accommodate (gluten free and vegetarian). They said as long as we know in advance, we can accommodate... boy did they ever. They went completely out of their way to make sure I had custom-made meals, and I'm telling you... this is not a place that will let you go hungry. The ranch kept us well fed the entire time. The food was excellent, and the staff was exceptionally friendly. Meal time was also a fun time to get to know other guests.

The horseback riding was beautiful and well organized. They make sure to put you on a horse that fits your level. If that is not your thing, there's lots of other things to do. Andi organized a square dance for us, which kept us all laughing and having fun. There are BYOB happy hours every night before dinner, where you can watch the desert sunset. The scenery and landscape is gorgeous - somewhat remote and very peaceful. There's also a pool/jacuzzi, life-sized chess board, shuffle board, basketball and tennis courts, and lots of hiking. You can basically just walk around and explore the ranch to your hearts' content. My dad and uncles brought mountain bikes and found plenty to explore on the bikes as well.

I was nervous about going in February thinking it would be cold, but the weather was PERFECT! Not too hot in the day, and jacket-worthy at night but not extreme on either end.

The rooms are nice and very clean. The TV only has basic channels, but if you are there to watch TV I don't know if this is the right place for you. There is WIFI in the main common rooms but not the bedrooms. I guess this isn't a trip for the "indoorsy" type even though the common areas are very nice and have wonderful views out the windows.

I want to thank the Flying E for an extraordinary experience. I hope to get back there someday and relive these memories and create some more.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank nikkidashrae

It is always wonderful when we can exceed expectations. Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a great review about your visit to the Flying E Ranch. Hope to see you back on our trails soon.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Gathered 12 of my cousins, friends, and their wonderful spouses, my daughter and her boyfriend and we spent our first weekend at a dude ranch. All of the wonderful reviews are true - it's a slice of heaven, it's a bit of the past. The Flying E team has style, class, personality - they are truly working together to give their guests a wonderful experience. We didn't want golf - we didn't want a spa - we wanted a down home experience. We laughed, sang, painted, played horseshoes, rode horses, square danced, swam and jacuzzed. In other words..... enjoyed! The food was wonderful, the other guests were friendly and fun. It can be whatever you want it to be. Arizona has beautiful weather and sunsets. My husband and I laughed all the way home. Thank you again, Flying E for our wonderful weekend.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

What a fun family gathering we had with you all. Bob and Pat enjoyed calling the square dance as much as you enjoyed dancing. Looking forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I can't say enough good things about this ranch. My sister and I wanted to reconnect and had been to two dude ranches as children. We searched for a small family-run ranch and we found exactly what we wanted to inspire memories of the past.

The Flying E Ranch feels exactly like the ranches from the 1960's (except for the hot tub and the ranch store). The place is charmingly decorated and there are many antiques and special touches such as photo albums featuring every guest.

Most guests that we met had been there for multiple visits so that is a good recommendation in itself.

The staff was charming and service was great. Everyone we met there was nice. There was a happy hour for adults every night which was fun. We are on a vegan diet right now and they accommodated us with perfect entrees at every meal.

The desert is beautiful, good bird-watching, hiking, you can see the stars!, the horses were well-behaved, the wranglers took safety very seriously, even the elderly could ride there, you don't have to ride. There are rides twice a day, we did once a day. There are museums, mine tours, lots of day trips, and golf courses in the area. There were other activities such as square dancing!! which I couldn't believe we did but it was a blast. Team penning, lunch rides, etc.

I think this is an excellent place for a reunion of family and friends. You can see your loved ones interacting with other people as everyone eats together. There is plenty for kids to do. I played ping pong with some kids. I would also perfectly fine going here by myself as there are so many people to talk to. We also had a private kitchen with a fridge (shared with another room). I agree with all the other excellent reviews here.

They fill up well in advance so make your plans early.

Really.

Room Tip: We were near the office so there were people walking by occasionally but we were so tired it didn...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
flyingeranch, General Manager at Flying E Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

It was a joy to see two sisters from different sides of the United States reunite at the Flying E. So glad you enjoyed your visit and were able to return to a Dude Ranch. It certainly is a vacation like no other. I hope you can come back soon. Thank you for your review and for expressing that we are proud to hold on to our past ranch heritage while providing a new type of vacation experience.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

Have just returned from yet another wonderful trip to "The Ranch" as we call it. It was all we had hoped for and more. I think it was my 15th time there and my wife's 8th. The rooms as usual were spotless and the food was better than ever and that's hard to beat. Andrea and Steve have done a wonderful job carrying on the traditions set by Vi, the original owner who passed away in 2004. Vi had always set the bar quite high and it's nice to see that it was like "going home" on our past visit. We had a great time on New Years Eve at the annual costume/casino night. A lot of work went into the evening and all of the staff worked hard to make sure the guests had a wonderful time. The horses and rides were excellent but only because the wranglers (Aaron and Norm in particular) were the absolute best. They were informative and a real joy to be with. Rides can be tailored to your ability..anywhere from novice to expert. The lunch cookout is a lot of work for the staff but they all do an exceptional job of making sure that the cookout is perfectly done. I'm surprised there are not more reviews of "The Ranch", but note that all of them are 5 star. That says a lot about this wonderful slice of heaven.

Room Tip: All rooms are spotless...great view from many. We stayed in Bar 0 this time and loved it.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank joe c

"Carrying on the Traditions". Thank you for this comment and your review. It has been my desired to keep the ranch the way Vi would have wanted it. I really appreciate that you felt like your trip to the ranch was like "going home". It is what makes us one big ranch family. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

This was our second visit to the Flying E and once again we had a truly fabulous time. I have just reread my first review and could repeat it word for word here. The food was wonderfully executed and abundant with cookies to die for. Ande and all the team made us so welcome. As we were there for Christmas we weren't quite sure what to expect but with a morning ride followed by breakfast in the desert and a visit from Santa the night before we were not disappointed. The ranch was full this time which made for some great conversations and card games and some bonding amongst the kids, not to mention a barn dance and team penning. All in all an awesome week and we can't wait to go back. If you ever find yourself out Wickenburg way you have to stay here.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
flyingeranch, Manager at Flying E Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

What a fun Christmas holiday with your family! Games, Christmas cookies, smiles, laugher and lots of riding. Even Santa enjoyed his time at the ranch visiting with the guests. I know it was a long journey for you and we are pleased that you could come back to the Flying E ranch for your stateside vacation. Wishing all good things and hope you can return one day soon.

Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have been to Wickenburg several times on business but this was our first stay at Flying E. The rooms are immaculate, the food excellent home cooking, and the staff and managers, Steve and Andrea, wonderfully relational and welcoming. We rode every day with a group of wranglers whom we respected for their skill and charm. I could not imagine a better locale for a Western vacation if that's what you are seeking.

• Stayed: November 2013
flyingeranch, General Manager at Flying E Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

Thank you for writing your review. You became part of our Flying E family the first day of your visit. Your sincere appreciation for what we do and your wonderful conversation with fellow guests and staff made the week go by too quickly. We have already processed your next reservation and look forward to seeing you "back at the ranch" later this season.