“Hard to say goodbye!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Vunaniu
Matanivusi Surf Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vunaniu
Reviewed 11 June 2011

This is the perfect resort to kick back and just relax. The minute we arrived we felt welcomed and well taken care of by Brian, Donna and the entire Matanivusi Staff. The accommodations were tastefully decorated and peaceful. Although we are not surfers we found many other activities to keep us busy. The snorkeling is by the far the best that we have encountered. The blue star fish are AMAZING! The food was divine and the service outstanding! We enjoyed learning about the Fijian culture and participating in a Kava ceremony. The pictures on the website really do not do this resort justice. We encourage you to visit this resort so that you can experience the true beauty of all it has to offer. When leaving the resort it was bitter sweet we all felt like we were leaving good friends. We hope to return in the near future!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 8 June 2011

This was our second visit to this resort which says something in it self. See first review.The oweners and staff are awesome and make us feel like part of the family. I can only say that we will be back in the years to come. Brian and Donna, YOU ROCK!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2011

This would have to go down as the best tropical holiday I have ever had, and I've had quite a few! There were 8 of us holidaying to celebrate my husbands 40th birthday, and every one of us are in agreement about this resort. Amazing accomodation, friendly and welcoming service, delicious food and plenty to do.
While the boys were out surfing the numerous and plentiful waves, us ladies were either kayaking, snorkelling, SUP, shopping or just lazing by the pool with a cocktail and a good book. We met an amazing American couple at the resort, and now consider them as friends. We even had a fun theme night (planned in advance!).The kava and lovo night was a great way to end our holiday. Thankyou again so much to Donna, Brian, Lisa and all the staff. It looks like its going to be a yearly trip!

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 May 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at this resort during our first trip to Fiji. We couldn't have asked for more from our stay and I can't say enough about the personal service. Brian and Donna and the whole staff made us feel so welcome from the first minute to the very last. The room was beautiful and private, and the food was great at every meal. Everyone else staying at the resort was so friendly and it really felt like one big family during the week. One night we dined on our room's back porch and they made it such a special night. My husband surfs and took advantage of the boats out to the breaks twice a day. It was so nice to be able to stay behind at the resort and feel safe and comfortable and taken care of just while reading alone by the pool. Yes, you are a little isolated out in this part of the island, but we ended up liking this most about the location; its a nice break to be without phones/computers/internet and shopping for a little while. True relaxation.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2011

All we have to say is 8 days was not enough! From the moment my wife and I got there we felt like we've been there forever. Donna, Brian and staff were so hospitable and accommodating, we felt like part of the family. They had a bottle of Champagne on ice for us on our arrival. Surf breaks were empty and the waves were plentiful. They managed many boats so they would take you out to the breaks whenever you wanted. If you missed the early boat out (depending on tide) whenever you got up, they would take you out whenever you wanted. Rights and lefts. Definitely bring your rounded pin and a bigger board than you normally ride. The extra activities are cool too. The waterfall tour is epic, full with a rickety bamboo bridge and waterfall jump - plus lunch right in front. Really cool. Some of the local staff even took us to Church on Palm Sunday and we sat in front as the honored guests! We met the whole village and the kids were awesome. One night, they set up a candle lit dinner for us on our porch complete with flowers and an amazing dinner. The food was awesome too. Everything is fresh. Dinner every night outdid the previous day. A lot of great memories with the staff (Lesi, Tony, Sevita, Kevu, Wise, Miti, Murray, Brian, Donna, Bobby) and the other guests. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pbruccoleri
Reviewed 22 April 2011

We stayed 10 nights at Matanivusi resort and when it was time to go - we didn't want to leave. It's not just the idealic location, great food and relaxing atmosphere that made us want to stay....it was the friendly staff and owners, that - by the end of the 10 days, felt like you were saying good bye to great friends!!

My husband, son who is 2.5 years and daughter who was only 5 months all really enjoyed our stay here. The kitchen staff were very flexible with the kids meals and all infant requirements that initially concerned me were all taken care of - car seat, portacot, baby bath etc

I loved the fact that we could all sit down for dinner at one big table and talk to other guests about their activities for the day, the surf and other funny travel stories....or you could also have a romantic/private dinner on your room's patio if you wanted as well. Best of both worlds.....no noisy buffet dining halls here!!

Surf was uncrowded, clean 4 - 6 foot each day and because the owner is as keen a surfer as the guest surfers, you are out at the breaks at the exact right time. My husband enjoyed the extra activity of going to Frigates to surf as well. The resort has a number of well maintained boats that can bring surfers back at different intervals, so no waiting around on the boat for the last surfer to come in.

But if your not a surfer (like myself) - there is plenty more to do at Matanivusi - stand up paddle boarding was great for viewing the coral and fish, there is kayaks, snorkelling, fishing, rainforest walk or just totally chlling out by the pool.

Rooms are really nice and serviced by the staff each morning whilst your at breakfast - very clean and tidy service. The rainforest as the backdrop to the resort is amazing!! Such a beautiful environment - I can't imagine many other resorts in Fiji having rainforest, then a room and then beach all in a matter of 15 metres!

All in all.... you ticked all the boxes for a great family surfing holiday.....See ya same time next year!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Becca081
Reviewed 18 April 2011

Nice Place, Nice staff, but what poor value for Value for money.. In fact almost no value for money.
You pay a huge amount of money for an "Exclusive" eco resort with direct access to excellent surf breaks.. Well, don't believe it. I'm terribly disappointed i spent my holiday there, when i could have spent the same money for 5 star accomodation anywhere else in Fiji.
Airport Transfers - Don't be fooled when the nice Air conditioned bus picks you up on your way to the "resort" because when you leave, they'll shaft you by organising a local driver in a beat up old van with No Air Con & which broke down leaving us stranded.

Forget the fishing there, the locals net all the local reefs to within destruction and the boat drivers won't troll fast enough anyway cause it wastes too much fuel.

The Surf, well, it's amazing what happens when you name a break. Although there was potential, i wouldn't get too excited as boats from several nearby resorts all stop at the same reef you're surfing soon crowding it out. You may aswell stay at hideaways for half the price and twice the service. You're going to be surfing the same spots anyway.

You're also trapped into the resort and have to buy all drinks ( except water) from the bar at $5 a soft drink it doesn't take long to add up

I think this place would only suit the rich retired couples who can't get rid of their money fast enough, but the surf is too shallow and crowded for them to get real enjoyment out of that anyway, so i don't even see the point for them.

I've Got to admit, it was an inviting website and with no reviews from any real guests, (most of the people staying there are for free as the owners try and promote the rip off prices) i'm afraid that many other people might go there and waste there money too. You've been warned

Room Tip: Go anywhere else in Fiji,
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
14  Thank Nick_Aus_11
dnbfj, Owner at Matanivusi Surf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2011

Thank you for the feedback regarding your holiday. I’m sorry we didn’t meet your expectations. I would like to respond to some of your statements.
Soft drinks are priced at FJ$3.50 each, which is equivalent to AU$1.95, not $5. When trolling, the boat needs to go slowly, otherwise the tackle will break the surface and not ‘entice’ the fish to follow and take the ‘bait’. 3 knots is the recommended speed for trolling.
Unfortunately, fishing can be a ‘frustrating’ sport. We had a guest recently who fished for a couple of hours a day for 4 days and got nothing. He then went out and caught 6 nice trevally in one afternoon....you just never know. He did experiment with various lures.
Crowded surf – yes other people can access the surf breaks after the 2010 Surf Decree. Perhaps 6 people in the water could be classified as a crowd by some standards.
I spoke with the driver of the van you mentioned (sometimes when we have multiple check/outs/ins in a day we need more than one van) and he assured me his van did not break down and leave you ‘stranded’ anywhere. Thank you for mentioning the air conditioning in this van – I will have this checked and make sure it is working properly in future.
I’m sure my friends would love to hear that we give away free holidays to fill the resort, however our occupancy rate is, thankfully, often too high to accommodate them.
I hope you are able to find hotels and resorts which can cater better to your needs in the future and again – thanks for your feedback. It was our pleasure having you here and hosting your sister-in-law’s wedding. I’m very pleased they enjoyed their day so much, including the complimentary champagne, floral decorations for their private dinner on their deck and use of the Resort camera to remember their special day by.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vunaniu
Fiji Marriott Resort Momi Bay
Waidroka Bay Resort
Waidroka Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Korovisilou
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort

Been to Matanivusi Surf Resort? Share your experiences!