“Waidroka Bay Resort”

Waidroka Bay Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Korovisilou
Reviewed 22 May 2013

I have been to this resort a couple of times and is by far one of my favorites in Fiji. Only 2.5 hours away from the airport in Nadi, it is the perfect place to start your Fiji experience. The resort is beautiful and with all the changes that Boris has made over the years really makes this a great resort. They have a very nice pool, great boats for diving and the staff there know where all the great dive spots are located! My only down side to report is that there is no shore diving, but if you get the Ultimate Dive Adventure you will not need to worry about shore diving, you will be doing a lot of diving, believe me! The food at Waidroka is also stellar. You will love this place and you will want to return. This is also a great resort to do a combo with another resort.

Room Tip: spend the extra bucks and upgrade to one of the bures, you will not be sorry, although the Panoramic...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 20 April 2013

I had an awesome time at the Waidroka Bay Resort and in the end I was more then sorry to leave.
Arriving in the resort I found myself directly at the bay surrounded of the rainforest.
We were more than happy about the clean and comfortable bungalow we stayed in with a beautiful view out of the ocean. The food was really tasty and for me as vegetarian they always cooked a great alternative to the meat. Once we had a special Fijian night where the staff introduced us to their culture with the national drink 'Kava' and food out of a 'Lovo Pit' - a Fijian oven.
Besides of all that the atmosphere has been the decisive factor which made my holidays here so special. The staff was really friendly and helpful and knowing my name after the first day they really made me feel like being a big family.
Even I'm not surfing I went out with the surfers on my second day. On the boat on the way to the waves Gil - the always good humoured surfguide - prepared everyone for surfing and made them feel excited about the waves - not without good reason. The waves have been pumping. Even it was good fun watching the guys surfing I was happy that there was a reef next to the waves. I went out for snorkeling on this beautiful reef. Besides lots of colourful fish I have seen turtles and small and harmless reef sharks. Impressed by that I decided to get the Open Water Diver Course. After I passed my theory part I spend some hours diving in the pool. Alison - my likable and qualificated diving instructor - taught me all the diving skills I needed and made me finally feeling ready to explore the deep underwater. After four absolute amazing dives I had my certification within only three days.
Thank you for this awesome time and a special memory which I will keep in my heart.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Ingmar-K
Reviewed 14 April 2013

And indeed it did. Surf guide Gil's favourite description about the myriad of great local breaks was 100% accurate as we surfed 420's, Pipes, Shifty's and the magnificent Frigates. Gil and his crew were real experts at matching the waves to our groups expectations. We surfed every one of our 10 days in pristine conditions ranging from 3-7ft. This is the best surf set up i have seen in 6 trips around the Pacific with Gil, his boat captains and the resorts proximity to genuine surf locations a major highlight.

The Resort was comfortable and relaxed and the food tasty, varied and plentiful. Our group also took time for a resort dive which was an unexpected and exciting experience with the Resort dive instructors Rick and Alison. After the usual pool prep and intro course it was off to the reef for two incredible dives. Everyone at the resort deserves a big wrap for promoting such a happy and relaxed atmosphere. We had a truly memorable adventure and the waves really did "blow our mind!"

Room Tip: Bunk in the multi room burres
1  Thank Mike R
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Our experiences at the Waidroka Bay Surf and Dive Resort was based around the amazing surfing spots in the area. Only a short boat drive to some world-class reef breaks, the surf was be enjoyed by all. I was an inexperienced surfer heading into this holiday, and wasn't sure what to expect. Surf guide Gil was the perfect mentor, providing some great advice to have the confidence to paddle on to bigger waves and have a ball in the water. Gil very quickly assessed our ability and tailored each of our sessions accordingly, helping us and paddling out to surf with us throughout. Along with Gil's great influence, the other staff (Paul and Kirsti, kitchen staff, dive staff, Ponte and Jaroh) were also phenomenal. Thank you to all the Waidroka team for an amazing holiday.

1  Thank George D
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Just back from first trip to Fiji staying at Waidroka. Excellent location for Frigates (40 minutes) and around 6 local breaks (15 minute boat rides). Laid back resort, good food and accomm. Absolute highlight for our group (4 dads with our 4 sixteen year old boys) was Gil's surf guiding. Gil turned our trip into an adventure that will be very hard to improve on. Surfed every day, usually two sessions dependent on the tide in the best waves of our lives. Totally agree with Darren's comments below (who was charging when we were there), very well said Darren! Fantastic Fijians working at the resort - Ponte, Jaro and the wonderful ladies all made it very special. Paul and Kirsti accommodated all our needs. a great experience, but special credit to Gil. thanks!

1  Thank phil d
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Beautiful resort with a welcoming and relaxed vibe. Friendly and helpfull staff willing to please. Delicious fresh food. Short boat trip from out the front to some awesome uncrowded waves. Max crowd was 12. Fiji Pipe goes off big time!!! Love the day out at Frigates, (great long wallee lefts) where I saw a Manta Ray leap out of the water!
Got to get my open water dive ticket and go back to do the shark dive, where they hand feed bull/tiger/nurse and reef sharks. The footage I saw of it was mindblowing

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Jason K
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I had a preconceived view of what to expect from Waidroka, & was expecting a no thrills basic holiday. Instead, I received an amazing 7 days with 7 near perfect surfs at various breaks with an exceptional surf guide called Gil. Gil found us the best surf breaks & led by example how to ride the waves & how to conduct ourselves while surfing - legend! Back at Waidroka, the resort served us well. Clean & tidy. The other managers were a delight to be with for dinner, drinks or for any occasion. They are all such hard workers & genuinely lovely people to be around. Therefore, I am very happy with Waidroka Bay Resort, & would recommend it to any surfer or diver!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank darren-sup-surfer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Korovisilou
The Warwick Fiji
#1 of 5 in Pacific Harbour
Uprising Beach Resort
Uprising Beach Resort
#2 of 5 in Pacific Harbour

Been to Waidroka Bay Resort? Share your experiences!