“Epic Dive Vacation”

Waidroka Bay Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Korovisilou
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I am an Advanced Open Water Diver who was looking for some beautiful waters in which to grow my Scuba skills and have a relaxing and memorable experience. I totally found it!! The Island of Viti Levu in Fiji and the Waidroka Bay Resort was a superb location for so many reasons. The dive sites are incredible and we saw tons of soft coral, gorgonian fans, sharks, dolphins, turtles, puffer fish, just unbelievable colors. The Divemasters, Rick and Alison were very experienced and so familiar with the local dive sites that they added so much to the dives. We felt really informed, safe and like we were getting the very best. At the resort we stayed in some really cool Bures that made it feel a bit like a private island on the edge of our very own rain forest. The resort has lots to do in the downtime like kayaking and even a fabulous massage under a hut in the rain. Wow! The Fijian staff was so kind and interactive and like others have said, they knew my name the first day and used it often. It felt like I was staying with family. Finally, the Waidroka Bay is run by two really cool general managers, Kirsti and Paul and they go out of their way to make sure you are taken care of-top notch, excellent hospitality! I highly recommend this resort!

Room Tip: Get a Bure- unobstructed view of the ocean and like a little private house.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 24 May 2013

I am a scuba instructor working out of Deep Blue Scuba & Swim Center in Long Beach. We organized a trip to Fiji through our shop and stayed at Waidroka in May of 2013. I cannot say enough about how amazing the trip was and have to thank Waidroka for most of it. As the leader of a group trip you always hope that things are going to go well and a lot of that depends on your accommodations. From the moment we arrived, any worries that I had were put at ease by the friendly and helpful staff. The bures and rooms were simple, comfortable, and clean. The grounds of the resort are stunningly beautiful, extremely well kept, and remote. The food was to die for, probably the best I have EVER had on a dive trip. By far the best thing about our stay at Waidroka was the sense of belonging you got from the the staff. All the staff from the general managers, to the dive & surf staff, the cooks, the cleaning staff, and the grounds keepers, go out of their way to make you feel at home. Everybody will know you on a first name basis only a few hours after your arrival. You just don't encounter this kind of service very often anymore, it was very refreshing, especially when you are in a foreign place. To say the least, it made my job as the trip leader very easy. Oh ya, and the diving was phenomenal, definitely go on the shark dive, kayak up the river, drink some Fiji Bitter, and try the cava. Thanks Waidroka, we will definetely be back!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 May 2013

I have been to this resort a couple of times and is by far one of my favorites in Fiji. Only 2.5 hours away from the airport in Nadi, it is the perfect place to start your Fiji experience. The resort is beautiful and with all the changes that Boris has made over the years really makes this a great resort. They have a very nice pool, great boats for diving and the staff there know where all the great dive spots are located! My only down side to report is that there is no shore diving, but if you get the Ultimate Dive Adventure you will not need to worry about shore diving, you will be doing a lot of diving, believe me! The food at Waidroka is also stellar. You will love this place and you will want to return. This is also a great resort to do a combo with another resort.

Room Tip: spend the extra bucks and upgrade to one of the bures, you will not be sorry, although the Panoramic...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 April 2013

I had an awesome time at the Waidroka Bay Resort and in the end I was more then sorry to leave.
Arriving in the resort I found myself directly at the bay surrounded of the rainforest.
We were more than happy about the clean and comfortable bungalow we stayed in with a beautiful view out of the ocean. The food was really tasty and for me as vegetarian they always cooked a great alternative to the meat. Once we had a special Fijian night where the staff introduced us to their culture with the national drink 'Kava' and food out of a 'Lovo Pit' - a Fijian oven.
Besides of all that the atmosphere has been the decisive factor which made my holidays here so special. The staff was really friendly and helpful and knowing my name after the first day they really made me feel like being a big family.
Even I'm not surfing I went out with the surfers on my second day. On the boat on the way to the waves Gil - the always good humoured surfguide - prepared everyone for surfing and made them feel excited about the waves - not without good reason. The waves have been pumping. Even it was good fun watching the guys surfing I was happy that there was a reef next to the waves. I went out for snorkeling on this beautiful reef. Besides lots of colourful fish I have seen turtles and small and harmless reef sharks. Impressed by that I decided to get the Open Water Diver Course. After I passed my theory part I spend some hours diving in the pool. Alison - my likable and qualificated diving instructor - taught me all the diving skills I needed and made me finally feeling ready to explore the deep underwater. After four absolute amazing dives I had my certification within only three days.
Thank you for this awesome time and a special memory which I will keep in my heart.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Ingmar-K
Reviewed 14 April 2013

And indeed it did. Surf guide Gil's favourite description about the myriad of great local breaks was 100% accurate as we surfed 420's, Pipes, Shifty's and the magnificent Frigates. Gil and his crew were real experts at matching the waves to our groups expectations. We surfed every one of our 10 days in pristine conditions ranging from 3-7ft. This is the best surf set up i have seen in 6 trips around the Pacific with Gil, his boat captains and the resorts proximity to genuine surf locations a major highlight.

The Resort was comfortable and relaxed and the food tasty, varied and plentiful. Our group also took time for a resort dive which was an unexpected and exciting experience with the Resort dive instructors Rick and Alison. After the usual pool prep and intro course it was off to the reef for two incredible dives. Everyone at the resort deserves a big wrap for promoting such a happy and relaxed atmosphere. We had a truly memorable adventure and the waves really did "blow our mind!"

Room Tip: Bunk in the multi room burres
1  Thank Mike R
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Our experiences at the Waidroka Bay Surf and Dive Resort was based around the amazing surfing spots in the area. Only a short boat drive to some world-class reef breaks, the surf was be enjoyed by all. I was an inexperienced surfer heading into this holiday, and wasn't sure what to expect. Surf guide Gil was the perfect mentor, providing some great advice to have the confidence to paddle on to bigger waves and have a ball in the water. Gil very quickly assessed our ability and tailored each of our sessions accordingly, helping us and paddling out to surf with us throughout. Along with Gil's great influence, the other staff (Paul and Kirsti, kitchen staff, dive staff, Ponte and Jaroh) were also phenomenal. Thank you to all the Waidroka team for an amazing holiday.

1  Thank George D
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Just back from first trip to Fiji staying at Waidroka. Excellent location for Frigates (40 minutes) and around 6 local breaks (15 minute boat rides). Laid back resort, good food and accomm. Absolute highlight for our group (4 dads with our 4 sixteen year old boys) was Gil's surf guiding. Gil turned our trip into an adventure that will be very hard to improve on. Surfed every day, usually two sessions dependent on the tide in the best waves of our lives. Totally agree with Darren's comments below (who was charging when we were there), very well said Darren! Fantastic Fijians working at the resort - Ponte, Jaro and the wonderful ladies all made it very special. Paul and Kirsti accommodated all our needs. a great experience, but special credit to Gil. thanks!

1  Thank phil d
Also consider these accommodations in or near Korovisilou
The Warwick Fiji
#1 of 5 in Pacific Harbour
Uprising Beach Resort
Uprising Beach Resort
#2 of 5 in Pacific Harbour

Been to Waidroka Bay Resort? Share your experiences!