I loved the Waidroka and every second of our stay! The grounds of the resort looked like something out of a book to me. Surrounded by rain forest, cute little Bure's to stay in, each with it's own porch and hammock facing the ocean. I loved how it was away from everything and was just its own secluded little slice of paradise. The accommodations were simple, clean, and I felt right at home. I liked the fact there were no TV's in the room. I like the break from technology. But they do have wifi in the main lobby you can pay for which was great when I did have to do a few things for work on one day. They also have wifi plugins you can take your room if you can't deal with the technology cutoff. The grounds are obviously well cared for. It's just beautiful. We were briefed about not drinking the tap water, which isn't anything new, as that's generally been the case for every country I've been in. But they had readily available free specially filtered water which is a really nice perk, and not one I've had before. And of course they had bottled water for sale if you really wanted that too. :)
The staff was incredible. Friendly, informative, and I loved how they would scatter themselves at different tables with us for dinner and tell us awesome stories and answer any questions we had from the dives that day. That was such a cool personal touch. The main lobby area had plenty of seating for all of to hang out and lounge at after diving that day, and they had a great collection of books spread out on the coffee table about Fiji, Fish ID, etc. All the staff was readily available and more than happy to answer questions, book a tour, or arrange a taxi for us.
Food. Best food I've had at a dive resort. Bill is amazing. Delicious and artistic dishes at dinner. And I was addicted to the french toast in the mornings.... :D
Diving. Before I say anything else. BOOK THE SHARK DIVE!! It was the most incredible experience, and I highly recommend it. I even went a second day, I was so obsessed with it! Diving in general here was just awesome. The COLORS, the soft coral, the sea fans, and the marine life...just gorgeous. Not something you see everywhere. We were here in the beginning of September which is winter time for them. So while the air temps were cooler than I expected, the visibility and marine life we saw MORE than made up for it. I just wish I had brought a boat coat like a few others did in our group for the surface intervals for the days the sun decided to stay hidden behind the clouds. But I'd MUCH rather have cooler weather and epic visibility then vice versa. Also the winter months, make for slightly choppier seas, and some currents. Not a big deal at all as long as you pop a Dramamine, and listen and follow the directions of your DM's. It is, after all, an adventure!
Our boat had Kirsti and Gus for DM's. They were GREAT! Super fun and interactive on the boat. Kirsti lead the dives and Gus stayed in the back to round up the stragglers.... like me. :D I'm a slow diver because I like to take photos and it was nice to know someone was looking out for me. And you want to talk dedication? How about Gus putting on a rain poncho and standing feet spread and arms up to try and block rain on a bunch of us on the boat ride in? :D Oh and Kirsti has some pretty smooth cabbage patch dance moves underwater.... just wait and watch. :D I loved that they took us to a remote island for lunch on the days we were in the Beqa Lagoon. White sand beaches, palm trees, and aqua waters. One heck of a view!
The Waidroka also booked for us the Jewel of Fiji tour (canoe trip to a village, kava ceremony and lunch at the village, boat down to a waterfall) and a river rafting trip through Rivers Fiji. It was gorgeous scenery. Loved both of them!
I can't say enough nice things about the people. The staff and the locals. No matter where you go there is a smile and a BULA! It's just awesome. If you want to get away from it all and have an awesome dive vacation, stay at the Waidroka!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Where tropical rainforest meets the Pacific Ocean nestles a tranquil Boutique Resort, offering an absolute adventure into Fiji's culture combined with worldclass SURFING - DIVING - FISHING and everything else the ocean has to offer. The perfect combination of pure relaxation and exhilarating action, Waidroka Bay Resort offers mind-blowing Surfing at Frigates Passage and many other breaks like famous Pipe or Serua Rights, world class Diving at the famous Bega Lagoon & Reef, as well as shark diving, Game- & Sport Fishing, Snorkeling, Kayaking, Rainforest-Trekking and all that is expected of a Fijian oceanfront adventurer paradise. Famous Fijian hospitality and smiles, a variety of beautiful accommodation, great food, stunning views, exhilarating activities on the highest level and a dream location conveniently located on the main island, Viti Levu, only 2 hours distance from the airport and 20 minutes away from the 'Adventure Capital' of Pacific Harbour - yet totally secluded in the midst of the rainforest on our own private Lagoon. Waidroka Bay Resort is a true haven for those seeking a home away from home combined with an intimate and private boutique experience and atmosphere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Waidroka Bay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Waidroka Bay Hotel Korovisilou
- Waidroka Bay Surf Dive Hotel
- Waidroka Bay Surf Dive Resort