“Paradise Found”

Waidroka Bay Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Korovisilou
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I loved the Waidroka and every second of our stay! The grounds of the resort looked like something out of a book to me. Surrounded by rain forest, cute little Bure's to stay in, each with it's own porch and hammock facing the ocean. I loved how it was away from everything and was just its own secluded little slice of paradise. The accommodations were simple, clean, and I felt right at home. I liked the fact there were no TV's in the room. I like the break from technology. But they do have wifi in the main lobby you can pay for which was great when I did have to do a few things for work on one day. They also have wifi plugins you can take your room if you can't deal with the technology cutoff. The grounds are obviously well cared for. It's just beautiful. We were briefed about not drinking the tap water, which isn't anything new, as that's generally been the case for every country I've been in. But they had readily available free specially filtered water which is a really nice perk, and not one I've had before. And of course they had bottled water for sale if you really wanted that too. :)

The staff was incredible. Friendly, informative, and I loved how they would scatter themselves at different tables with us for dinner and tell us awesome stories and answer any questions we had from the dives that day. That was such a cool personal touch. The main lobby area had plenty of seating for all of to hang out and lounge at after diving that day, and they had a great collection of books spread out on the coffee table about Fiji, Fish ID, etc. All the staff was readily available and more than happy to answer questions, book a tour, or arrange a taxi for us.

Food. Best food I've had at a dive resort. Bill is amazing. Delicious and artistic dishes at dinner. And I was addicted to the french toast in the mornings.... :D

Diving. Before I say anything else. BOOK THE SHARK DIVE!! It was the most incredible experience, and I highly recommend it. I even went a second day, I was so obsessed with it! Diving in general here was just awesome. The COLORS, the soft coral, the sea fans, and the marine life...just gorgeous. Not something you see everywhere. We were here in the beginning of September which is winter time for them. So while the air temps were cooler than I expected, the visibility and marine life we saw MORE than made up for it. I just wish I had brought a boat coat like a few others did in our group for the surface intervals for the days the sun decided to stay hidden behind the clouds. But I'd MUCH rather have cooler weather and epic visibility then vice versa. Also the winter months, make for slightly choppier seas, and some currents. Not a big deal at all as long as you pop a Dramamine, and listen and follow the directions of your DM's. It is, after all, an adventure!

Our boat had Kirsti and Gus for DM's. They were GREAT! Super fun and interactive on the boat. Kirsti lead the dives and Gus stayed in the back to round up the stragglers.... like me. :D I'm a slow diver because I like to take photos and it was nice to know someone was looking out for me. And you want to talk dedication? How about Gus putting on a rain poncho and standing feet spread and arms up to try and block rain on a bunch of us on the boat ride in? :D Oh and Kirsti has some pretty smooth cabbage patch dance moves underwater.... just wait and watch. :D I loved that they took us to a remote island for lunch on the days we were in the Beqa Lagoon. White sand beaches, palm trees, and aqua waters. One heck of a view!

The Waidroka also booked for us the Jewel of Fiji tour (canoe trip to a village, kava ceremony and lunch at the village, boat down to a waterfall) and a river rafting trip through Rivers Fiji. It was gorgeous scenery. Loved both of them!

I can't say enough nice things about the people. The staff and the locals. No matter where you go there is a smile and a BULA! It's just awesome. If you want to get away from it all and have an awesome dive vacation, stay at the Waidroka!

Room Tip: Splurge for a Bure! While all the accommodations were nice and clean, I loved waking up to the atmos...
1  Thank Jami92117
WAIDROKA, General Manager at Waidroka Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2013

Hi Jamie,

We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay here at Waidroka Bay resort - we certainly enjoyed hosting you here and the diving was pretty exceptional whilst you were here. Thanks for your comprehensive review - I am sure it will be a great help to others thinking about coming to our beautiful piece of Fijian Paradise...

We will pass on your lovely comments about Bill's food - he'll be stoked!
Kind regards - and hope to see you again sometime.
Paul & Kirsti
PS - GREAT shot of that Bull shark btw :)

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Stayed about 14 days at the resort and had plenty of incredible diving. They said this would be the best place in the world to see hard and soft coral and they were not kidding. I have been diving since 1991 and have never seen so much coral. In addition we took a shark dive that blew my mind. That was the single handed most thrilling dive I have been on in my life. Lots to see and experience - my trip was incredible. Be sure to do some land activities as well. We visited a village and did the river rafting - both definately worth the money. The staff at Waidroka were very friendly and helpful. Food was great - BULU BILL!!! He was the chef. Rooms are nice and no bugs :) I will absolutely come back to Waidroka.

1  Thank Jason B
WAIDROKA, General Manager at Waidroka Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Hi Jason,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on your return. We are so glad that you enjoyed your time here both above and below the water. Thanks for mentioning the coral - the fish get all the good press normally.
Kind regards from all of the staff at Waidroka :)
Paul & Kirsti

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Although I'm friends with the person who left the not so nice review, and I respect him as he's always been polite and friendly to me, I don't feel that his review alone is fair to the Waidroka Bay Resort and staff. I was on the same trip as him and on the exact same boat and dives, and have a completely different opinion of the accommodations and staff. I think it was a simple misunderstanding of expectations of both the remoteness of the resort and the level of diving (which is anywhere from beginner to advanced at this time of year - Sept). Waidroka Bay Resort is a cozy get away off the beat and path - ideally located for prime diving and surfing. I'll address his safety concerns in a bit, but first wanted to comment on how exceptional Kirsti, the general manager, was/is. She was extremely friendly, informative, and always willing to stop what she was doing to talk with us or help us in any way. In all of my traveling and diving over the years, Kirsti is one of the most enjoyable and professional people I've had the pleasure of diving with. Her organization and friendliness around the resort was simply comfortable and enjoyable! We would also look forward to dinner, for both the exceptional food prepared by their chef Bill, and for the added hospitality that the dive masters, surf guides, managers, etc would share with us – we’d sit down to eat and they were always eager to ask if they could sit next to us so we could share stories about diving, travel, etc. – they would always ask first, as not to intrude or assume… simply enjoyable. I could go on for days about the overall great experience, but I still want to follow up on the “concerns” from the other review:

As mentioned, this is a more secluded resort away from all the hustle and bustle, so don’t expect caviar and a presidential suite with Jacuzzi, etc. Although it isn’t a Hyatt presidential suite, the accommodations are very comfortable and clean!

When diving, you are always responsible for your own actions. EVERY single dive had a clear concise briefing AND dive plan. We always knew to let the DM know we were at 1500 psi (because they told us before every dive). The briefings were always accurate and with safety paramount. The DM’s would always check the waters to let us know what kind of current to expect, if any. As mentioned before, some of the dives were advanced due to strong current or surge. Every dive was clearly briefed to inform us of what to expect and what to avoid (if something needed to be avoided).

The diver surfacing with <200 psi was that divers fault for not telling his buddy or the DM about his remaining psi. On one of the dives a diver surfaced and didn’t catch the boat line in time (this was a dive with strong current – and this is not uncommon in these conditions). When she realized she was not going to be able to grab the line, she just relaxed. The boat crew was completely aware of her surfacing and missing the line, they were just giving her some time to see if she’d get to the line because she was swimming for it, but was in no way panicking. (she is an experienced diver and knew that they would either have a dm jump in without their bcd/tank/reg to get her or would pull anchor to go and get her) Since there were still more divers in the water, they sent a dm in to get her and she was easily towed to the line where they were able to get into the boat. The diver was safe the entire time and wasn’t even fatigued because she knew she was safe.

During one of our dive days we had a smaller boat transfer out some full tanks so that they wouldn’t have to pack all the extra weight onto the primary dive boat. The dive site was near the reef so the swells picked up on this site. The captains thought they could tie the two boats together (side by side) to get the tanks transferred, but because of the seas it was more challenging. The boats rubbed up against each other, as they do when you tie them together, but in no way would I call it a collision in my opinion. The captains did decide to move the boats to calmer water to make the transfer, but that was because it would be easier and safer for the person to move the tanks from the smaller boat to the larger one.

The last three all relate to the same incident which I noticed first hand. To preface this event, in my opinion, all safe diving is great diving, no matter your bottom time, how advanced you are, etc. As long as you are safe and having a good time without endangering yourself or anyone else, it is good diving. On this particular dive, all of the divers, except for T, have very good bottom time. During this dive, the DM checked on T’s air because they were aware that his air consumption rate was faster than the rest of the group. Once he got down to 1000 psi he wanted to surface, so one of the dive masters was paired up with him. T surfaced faster than the DM because the DM wanted to do his safety stop. So, T surfaced by himself after about 25 minutes. This was a 50-60 minute dive plan. When he surfaced, he swam to the boat he came out on, which was tied up to the 2nd boat in our group. The 2nd boat had an engine problem so the crew was on the 2nd boat working on the engine – they did not expect anyone to surface after only 25 minutes. The DM surfaced 3 minutes after T to assist him.

As mentioned, I think the unhappiness from the other review was due to a different set of expectations from what Waidroka Bay Resort advertises and offers, and from the level of diving (at times it was advanced due to surge and or strong current).

I personally had a great experience with Waidroka and all of their staff. I felt welcomed, comfortable, and had a great trip! I would definitely recommend Waidroka Bay Resort to all of my friends and family.

Thank you Waidroka Bay Resort for making my stay in Fiji a great and memorable experience!

Room Tip: If you want a little more seclusion, get a Bure. If you are just going for the prime diving, surfing...
3  Thank Mike F
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Get away from the 5 star resort and go to waidroka and have a real Holliday. Relax, surf, dive, fish, snorkel, eat great food, great service. Go with your mates or your mrs it has everything you need to escape reality

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Gregrodham
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We have just finished a very enjoyable week on a surfing trip to Waidroka. From start to finish, the staff were friendly and welcoming, the food was great and you definitely won't go home hungry. If you are looking for a 5star resort then the Hyatt or Warwick might be more your style. This is a very comfortable laidback spot, comfortable rooms, where you eat with the staff around a big table most nights and meet the other guests from around the world. Kirsty and Paul and their staff couldn't have been more helpful, Joel the surf guide was super patient and knowledgable. Would thoroughly recommend the resort, great week!

1  Thank Marty M
Reviewed 13 September 2013

we arrived at the resort after a two hour ride from the airport. After a peremptory introduction we were informed the water in the rooms was "questionable" and to fill water bottles at the central facility or buy bottled water. There are no real amenities available. This was not objectionable - I've "roughed" it before. The real issues are with the attitude of the British and Australian staff. One is under the constant impression that you are there for THIER benefit. You are "tolerated" as long as you do as told. The managing staff are rude and incompetent offering little in the way of conversation and often uttering insulting remarks. As to the diving, I personally witnessed: divers surfacing with <200 lbs of air, currents taking divers out beyond the reach of a boat line, collisions in four foot seas while attempting to transfer tanks, unresponsive dive masters when advised that "this dive is over" by their charges, no man in the boat upon surfacing and attempting to board - no assistance. These are but a sampling of what I experienced. My partner and I left after the fifth day to stay at another resort where we finally were able to enjoy both the staff, the diving and the atmosphere of congeniality.

Room Tip: there are no "good" rooms, some have slightly better views than others but not exceptional...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Theodore T
WAIDROKA, Owner at Waidroka Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2013

Bula and Hello from Waidroka - we are always concerned when customers are not pleased with their vacation and are extremely sorry for your disappointment and experience and would like to apologize on behalf of Waidroka and all of our staff – we are of course very upset by your comments and apologize sincerely!

As a concerned owner one of the main issues I read from your review is your disappointment about various expectations you clearly had about our resort. This was immediately felt by our managing staff when within the first hour of arrival you expected TV’S or PLASMA’S in the rooms or BATHTUBS, which we clearly do not have or advertise anywhere (it is a conscious decision not to have TV’s in the rooms and we do not see any reasons for bathtubs in our resort).

As to managing expectations I would like to highlight, that we NEVER in any of our communications state anywhere anything false about the resort. All of our amenities are clearly and in detail described and all of our images and marketing or promotional materials are true and recent as we’ll as relevant. For you to have ‘WRONG EXPECTATIONS’’ is not our fault nor should we be held accountable or be slammed for it! I apologize for not having had more input to you individually as part of your whole group booking to ensure your expectations are accurate and reflecting reality as there would not have been such disappointment. A great source for managing expectation about the resort is our more than detailed website or reservations department.

By the way we advertise everywhere that the ride from the airport to Waidroka is 2 hours. We also highlight to all of our guests, that we do not recommend for guests to drink tap water (which by the way we as local staff all drink…), but rather the triple filtered water (including newly installed UV filters) in our main building facilities which is FREE – this is a service which ALL guests applaud and appreciate, however you seem to have found fault even here !

Most importantly as one of your concerns you make statements about DIVE SAFETY issues, which for a dive resort are our biggest ongoing concern and as a resort with an absolutely 100% clean safety record with not ever any issues in terms of safety standards, these comments are critical to reply to, however will require some detail. At the resort we have 4 expatriate Dive Instructors with a combined experience of over 45 years of diving. We have some of Fiji’s best boat skippers and have never ever had any issues to any of the nature you describe.

I would like to highlight for yourself and everybody else reading this response, which is not to defend, but rather possibly helping others to understand our resort and dive operation better, that we are diving the Pacific Ocean, in Fiji on the outer reefs and the diving is definitely of advanced nature. Having read my own teams response to your specific comments about safety it is my conclusion that again your expectations and also lack of experience as to diving in the Pacific Ocean with more challenging but exceptional diving, are the main reason for the issues you raise, to which I would like to respond with the following detail:

• All of the staff at Waidroka take safety extremely seriously. Diving in Fiji can be challenging at times – it is not Cozumel and we do have currents and can have choppy seas, which everybody is briefed on at all times. At the beginning of EVERY dive we brief to 50bar, 650psi or 50 minutes – whichever comes first. That is when divers need to be doing their safety stops. We ask all divers to let us know when they are getting low on air – if, as you describe, divers came up with <200lbs they were asked not to on the first day, they were reminded at the beginning of every dive and they are all certified divers capable of reading an air gauge. We are not sure what else we can do to make sure that people follow these rules unless we become even more peremptory.
• Fiji has currents and one diver did float off beyond the current line on the surface – it happens, she was making her own way back to the line and one of the Dive Masters immediately swam out to her and helped her back onto the line. Again, the current was no surprise, we briefed for that before entering the water. We are ALWAYS aware of the possible situations and when they arise. That is our job and in this instance handled properly and absolutely safe!
• As for boat collisions in 4ft seas, the conditions were choppy, not 4ft! When transferring tanks, the boats have to be next to each other – we tried once outside the reef and then decided to move inside the reef where it was easily achieved and never with any danger to anyone!
• Finally - the boatman was on the second boat that was tied to the first 2 meters behind and jumped straight back on board the first boat when he saw you surface. Our local boat crew are some of the best in Fiji and did not and would never leave you to struggle by yourself. In fact the Dive Master offered to hold your equipment whilst you boarded. The dressing down you gave the dive master when back on board was unfair and a reflection of your lack of experience and general attitude, as well as disrespectful to our local Fijian staff who was extremely hurt by your response and actions.

As a final note to the comment about the staff at Waidroka, which I find insulting and discriminatory as to pointing out their various nationalities, it clearly seems to me that through our inability to deliver on wrong expectations, combined with your lack of experience of Fiji Diving, that you may have taken out of context any of the behavior of our staff who are there only to do one thing – ensure YOU have a good time and work to ensure you are pleased. None of my management team walks around uttering remarks and comments which are meant to insult anyone of our guests nor do we behave disrespectfully to anyone – especially our GUESTS! We do however take very seriously your comments and remarks as well as feelings and feel upset and also extremely disappointed about what you state and are sorry for you feeling this way – we clearly have failed you and are sorry.

As we are taking any guest comments extremely serious, we appreciate your comments and will continue to learn, evolve and improve - so thank you for your comments on behalf of ALL of our staff - British, Australian & Fijian and apologize again for not meeting your expectations and your disappointment!

The Owner

Reviewed 8 August 2013

Decide to try this hotel to relax. Everything was perfect. Really enjoyed the location, great staff. The best service, most spotless hotel I have ever been in. Beyond fabulous and well worth the distance to get there! I spent a real dream holiday there.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Korovisilou
The Warwick Fiji
Nanuku Auberge Resort
#1 of 5 in Pacific Harbour
33 mi away
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa

Been to Waidroka Bay Resort? Share your experiences!