What a change this fun little resort has seen, with the advent of two wonderful new managers. Waidroka is a true rainforest retreat, tucked into the lush jungles, at the water's edge. Julie and Darryl have taken this retreat and turned it into such a fun place with their big hearts, great personalities and capacity for entertainment. When we were there, there were other couples who had meant to only stay for 5 nights, and ended up cancelling their other plans and staying for 2 weeks. It's just that wonderful.
They have initiated a chef training program, and our meals were delightful. The fish was cooked to perfection, and Daryl's Mother's dessert receipes were a big hit with all the guests - homemade eclairs, cakes, flaky pastries. If you don't gain 10 pounds after a week, you're doing something wrong!
When previously this resort was looking tired and dour, it now springs to life with lush tropical flowers, herb and vegetable gardens, and a staff that is loving life. Julie and Darryl often accompany guests on adventure excursions, and do their best to provide experiences to write home about.
One day when it was raining, they gave all the guests umbrellas and into the pool we went, umbrellas in one hand, wine spritzers in another. It was almost surreal sitting in a pool, looking at the rain over the ocean. Everything is greeted with such a positive attitude and enthusiasm, that it's no wonder they have guests staying over their intended holiday.
Granted, Waidroka isn't a luxury resort, but the cute wooden bures that kind of resemble mountain cabins, colorfully painted and set in and amongst the tropical foliage, are great getaways and far from the tourist crowds. They are avid surfers and divers, and the dive sites are great. Our son enjoyed surfing, skurfing and wakeboarding, and we loved Julie's careful attention to all the divers.
All in all, it feels like coming home. A fun, friendly, warm and welcoming place. For those not wanting to spend the big dollars at a flash resort, this is a little hidden treasure. But be careful - Julie is apt to rope you into singing karoke with her - and she really gets going on "Sk8R Boi"!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Where tropical rainforest meets the Pacific Ocean nestles a tranquil Boutique Resort, offering an absolute adventure into Fiji's culture combined with worldclass SURFING - DIVING - FISHING and everything else the ocean has to offer. The perfect combination of pure relaxation and exhilarating action, Waidroka Bay Resort offers mind-blowing Surfing at Frigates Passage and many other breaks like famous Pipe or Serua Rights, world class Diving at the famous Bega Lagoon & Reef, as well as shark diving, Game- & Sport Fishing, Snorkeling, Kayaking, Rainforest-Trekking and all that is expected of a Fijian oceanfront adventurer paradise. Famous Fijian hospitality and smiles, a variety of beautiful accommodation, great food, stunning views, exhilarating activities on the highest level and a dream location conveniently located on the main island, Viti Levu, only 2 hours distance from the airport and 20 minutes away from the 'Adventure Capital' of Pacific Harbour - yet totally secluded in the midst of the rainforest on our own private Lagoon. Waidroka Bay Resort is a true haven for those seeking a home away from home combined with an intimate and private boutique experience and atmosphere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Waidroka Bay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Waidroka Bay Hotel Korovisilou
- Waidroka Bay Surf Dive Hotel
- Waidroka Bay Surf Dive Resort