“Beautiful resort, fabulous diving!”

Waidroka Bay Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Korovisilou
Santa Barbara, California
“Beautiful resort, fabulous diving!”
Reviewed 13 July 2009

My husband and I spent our 25th wedding anniversary at this resort. It was a very memorable week. The resort is beautiful, located right on the water's edge, idyllically surrounded by lush tropical rainforest. We did the five day dive package. The diving was really exciting, I had never seen so many different tropical fish before. There were also lots of different types of corals and other underwater animals, sharks, turtle, rays. I took about 800 underwater photos! The dive boats and equipment were in great shape and the dive staff were very knowledgeable and helpful. They also took us on the Beqa Lagoon shark dive, which was pretty amazing. The food was quite good, served in the lodge dining room family style. The managers were very helpful in arranging transportation and tours for us. Since we couldn't dive the day before we flew home, they arranged for us to go on a whitewater rafting trip through the "Grand Canyon" of Fiji, which was a lot of fun. Some of the native Fijian staff held a kava ceremony for us, with authentic Fijian music and singing. We had a wonderful time, and were sorry to leave. The staff really were people we enjoyed meeting. I recommend the Waidroka Bay Resort very highly.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Polish first
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 11 March 2009

The resort is set by the water evolved in the rainforest so you can either relax or enjoy all the activities they offer.
The new managers went out of their way to ensure our stay was an enjoyable experience. They were extremely friendly & really tried to help us with our needs, whether it was surfing or snorkeling. Waidroka surpassed all expectations.
The breakfast and lunch is requested from the menu. Dinner is by the pool, with the all guests together and is the management choice.
They have a monthly chef training program with the local people at the resort, and our meals very good – specially the chicken breast filled with banana. Daryl fished this enormous yellow fin tuna on our last day, too bad we had no meals left!
Julie and Darryl accompany us on a great snorkel tour on the day it went flat and took careful attention to all of us.
The bure are spacious are equipped, with a very comfortable bed and the bathroom has a shower with warm water. Every bure has a balcony with a small hammock, chairs and table. Julie takes care of all the details, even the front garden of the Bure! Ask for Beach front Bure number 5 - It has the best view.
There is a billiard table, a volley ball court, a karaoke system, there is also a tv with dvd player.
Make no mistake; this is a surf and dive destination spot – not a luxury resort. There are is no night life, no white sandy beach to lounge on, but a lovely pool where the temperature is so good that we’ll not want to live it! There are relaxing hammocks on the lawn and there is also really nice massage table available.
Waidroka is fun, friendly, warm and welcoming place – special for those who surf, snokel and dive not wanting to spend the big dollars.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rita_Picarra
Seaforth Australia
Reviewed 16 January 2009

We had previously visited Waidroka Bay Surf & Dive Resort & although we had previously enjoyed our stay, this time was even more enjoyable because of the friendly staff now at the resort. The new managers went out of their way to ensure our stay was an enjoyable experience. They were extremely friendly & went out of ther way to help us with our needs, whether it was surfing, snorkling or diving. Thank you Darryl & Julie you really made us feel very welcome.

Annie, Glen, Ben & Sam

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank AnnieW52
Fiji Islands
Reviewed 16 January 2009

What a change this fun little resort has seen, with the advent of two wonderful new managers. Waidroka is a true rainforest retreat, tucked into the lush jungles, at the water's edge. Julie and Darryl have taken this retreat and turned it into such a fun place with their big hearts, great personalities and capacity for entertainment. When we were there, there were other couples who had meant to only stay for 5 nights, and ended up cancelling their other plans and staying for 2 weeks. It's just that wonderful.

They have initiated a chef training program, and our meals were delightful. The fish was cooked to perfection, and Daryl's Mother's dessert receipes were a big hit with all the guests - homemade eclairs, cakes, flaky pastries. If you don't gain 10 pounds after a week, you're doing something wrong!

When previously this resort was looking tired and dour, it now springs to life with lush tropical flowers, herb and vegetable gardens, and a staff that is loving life. Julie and Darryl often accompany guests on adventure excursions, and do their best to provide experiences to write home about.

One day when it was raining, they gave all the guests umbrellas and into the pool we went, umbrellas in one hand, wine spritzers in another. It was almost surreal sitting in a pool, looking at the rain over the ocean. Everything is greeted with such a positive attitude and enthusiasm, that it's no wonder they have guests staying over their intended holiday.

Granted, Waidroka isn't a luxury resort, but the cute wooden bures that kind of resemble mountain cabins, colorfully painted and set in and amongst the tropical foliage, are great getaways and far from the tourist crowds. They are avid surfers and divers, and the dive sites are great. Our son enjoyed surfing, skurfing and wakeboarding, and we loved Julie's careful attention to all the divers.

All in all, it feels like coming home. A fun, friendly, warm and welcoming place. For those not wanting to spend the big dollars at a flash resort, this is a little hidden treasure. But be careful - Julie is apt to rope you into singing karoke with her - and she really gets going on "Sk8R Boi"!

• Liked — Upbeat managers, great pool area, fantastic diving and surfing - all of it!
  • Disliked — Lack of beach - but that was OK the pool area was great.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Fiji-Suz
Italy
Reviewed 31 October 2008

Stayed at Waidroka for 10 days at the end of September 2008. At first I was supposed to stay only 4 nights but decided to extend my stay by a further week. I absolutely loved it. The management is wonderful and they really do their best to satisfy all interests and tastes customers might have. I particularly went there for the diving and I wasn't disappointed. I was travelling on my own and Julie and Derrell really made feel at home. The accommodation and food are wonderful and the resort really caters for all tastes. It is set amidst a beautiful rainforest so you can either relax or enjoy all the activities on offer. I would suggest the place to all kinds of travellers, from the backpacker like me to a family.

• Liked — The diving and the management
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank Vally_Italy
Olympia WA
Reviewed 29 October 2008

Waidroka Bay was recommended to me when I was in the planning stages of my Fiji trip. My first research turned up some really negative posts, which made me nervous. But these were all older and under different management.

I am SO glad I chose Waidroka Bay for my stay!

My trip was primarily for a mission, but I couldn't travel all that way and not dive, so as a solo female traveler, I was looking for a few days of awesome diving before meeting up with the mission team. Julie and Darryl took me in like family and showed me the most fabulous underwater life I've ever seen. They clearly know their business. Safety was first rate - I always felt well taken care of - even when coming upon a school of barracuda or hangin' out 15 ft from big bull sharks! (You CANNOT miss the shark dive if you go here!) As awesome as the diving was, it was only slightly better than the stories Darryl would tell. Gotta love the Kiwis!

Make no mistake, this is a dive and surf destination spot. There are no swim-up bars and no night life. No sandy beach to lounge on, but a lovely pool a and hammocks on the lawn provide sufficient relaxation. There is also a wonderful yoga pagoda if that's your thing, and massage available with some coordination. (I didn't take the time out of the water to try that out.)

The food was great, though more like staying with family than dining in a four star restaurant. The staff were all lovely. I highly recommend!

• Liked — The divers running the place, the diving, the aquatic life, the dive stories and the divers.
  • Disliked — Absence of a sandy beach (can't win 'em all)
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 22 October 2008

Me and my husband came driving down to this place, wantet to see what it was like before we booked. And it was breathtaking. We booked for two nights, but ended up staying for three weeks. This place has so much to offer. You can just stay here enjoying one of the good books, go hiking, diving, snorkeling, surfing, fishing, and they even have kayaks for free. All of the rooms has a great seawiew. The rooms are big with everything you need for a holiday.

The people who runs this place are new, Julie and Darrel, and they are great. They are the most helpful people I have met, and I travel a lot. If we had a problem, they did everything to help us. The food is great, and the rest of the staff is realy nice.

We went sharkfeeding while we were here, and that was a big experience. We felt so safe, because the divers here are very experienced. So we were well taken care of.

When you are here, you realy dont need to leave this place. You might not want leave eighter.

• Liked — it was a lot to choose from if you want to do something, and the sea is only a couple of meters from the rrom.
  • Stayed October 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Korovisilou
The Warwick Fiji
#1 of 9 in Sigatoka
Nanuku Auberge Resort
Nanuku Auberge Resort
#1 of 5 in Pacific Harbour

Been to Waidroka Bay Resort? Share your experiences!