2,552 results
All reviewspackage dealmaswik lodgetrain tripdinner buffetnight packagedome carpasta barpasta stationgrand canyon railwaydepot cafetrain robberyincluded mealsdeluxe roomtaking the trainbuffet stylewild west showsouth rim
Reviewed 29 March 2011

Rather bland for the price that we paid but our room was relatively clean( needed to be dusted better) No refrigerator, microwave or free WIFI and the bathroom, especially the tub and shower, needed to be updated. We did sleep well though. The redeeming feature of this hotel was the close proximity to the Grand Canyon Railway.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 1happyinthesun
Reviewed 28 March 2011

wow, me and my 2 kids )10 and 11) had such a great time. I was not expecting an indoor pool , great fitness room, a game room, and a great buffet. The convenience of the train and the wonderful show for the kids.Not to mention the rooms were spacious and clean and the hotel close to the whole cute little town. I would love to take the kids back and just hang out.* this is such a family friendly/kid friendly hotel, i would recommend to anyone for the overall experience.

Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank xraybabe70
Reviewed 7 March 2011

We arrived after 11:00 pm by amtrak. There is no station at Williams Junction where the train stops to let you off but, there is a shuttle to the hotel. The drop-off point is nothing but a concrete slab since the small station burned down several years back but, the shuttle was waiting, and the driver really chipper and entertaining for that time of night. Got to the hotel, the desk clerk explained everything to a tee and since we had missed the dinner buffet we were entitled to, and since we were leaving, again by amtrak, at 5:00 am and would miss the breakfast buffet that morning she suggested telling the hostess at the restaurant that we'd like to substitute one of the meals for a boxed breakfast and they would deliver it to the front desk for our early morning departure. We did ask the hostess at dinner the evening before we were to leave and sure enough, when we got to the lobby at 4:45 am, there were two boxed breakfasts. They were very well selected also I might add, a carton of OJ, yogurt, a granola bar, a round of cheese, and a rather large package of trail mix. I had read reviews about how bad the buffet meals were before our trip but let me tell you, we found plenty of very well prepared food, a nice salad bar, a carving station, a choice of 2 soups, veggies, a build your own pasta station (you pick your ingredients and they prepare it for you while you wait) heck, the would even cook you a ny strip steak if you wanted it, and last but not least, a build your own ice cream sundae bar. We also had breakfast there the 1st morning and had a killer custom made omelete, breakfast meats, fresh fruits, oatmeal, grits....and all wait staff was very professional and courteous. I don't understand the negative comments, my wife and I were totally satisfied. The lobby always had a warm and welcoming fire in the fireplace (as did the restaurant), the room (we had a deluxe) was very spacious, quiet, all amenities one could need, and triple sheeted beds with fresh linens. We did take the Grand Canyon RR train to the Canyon and before departure was entertained by a wild west shoot-out and a train robbery on the return trip. The scenery en-route was fabulous and the staff very informative. I would highly recommend this excursion to anyone, singles, couples, and families with children, including the trip from East Texas to Williams and back on Amtrak, which also had gotten some bad reviews....we loved it....get a full bedroom which gets you free meals (and damn good cooking if I may say so), kick back, watch the country roll by and let the guy up front do the driving. One of the bad raps we heard and read about was the delays by train....we were on 5 different trains, 3 in bedrooms, one in business class (very nice for a short 4 hour trip) and one coach (also very acceptable for our 5 hour trip) which means 5 arrivals to board and 5 departures. Out of 10, the train was early 7 times, on time 2, and late (20 minutes) 1 time. One additional trip segment, we opted to fly in order to get back home on Sunday morning rather than Monday morning to recoup before returning to the grind and the airline was 10 minutes late arriving and got us to our destination 30 minutes late plus had to sit on the tarmac after arriving for 10 minuets waiting for a gate. Add that to the pain of boarding a plane vs Amtrak and in the future, if a train station is anywhere near where I have to go, you can bet I'll take the train. We are now even planning our next trips based on where the trains go

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cheapseats678
Xanterra, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Canyon Railway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2011

GCRH management and staff thank you for sharing your review and for choosing to vacation with us. We especially appreciate your comments on our helpful and professional staff, and we are pleased you found the accommodations comfortable and the wide selection of food well-prepared. Happy train travels!

-Dianne R.
Guest Relations Manager / Grand Canyon Railway Hotel

Reviewed 21 February 2011

The service at this hotel was top notch. Very friendly and helpful staff. The lobby is really nice with a huge fireplace with a lot of seating; a great place to warm up, relax, and meet people. While the rooms were very clean, we were very, very disappointed in the quality of the linens. The sheets felt like 180 count percale - rough and scratchy. The pillows were flat, although you get plenty of them. The bathroom is of decent size, but no hair conditioner was provided (shampoo & shower gel only) and the shower curtain was of the quality you would expect at a Motel 6. The lighting fixtures are also very cheap and tacky. Not what I expected for the price, but it's such a small town I'm not sure there's a better alternative. Next time we'll stay at one of the resorts at the South Rim of the Canyon.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GambiaTraveler
Reviewed 11 February 2011

I decided to return to the Grand Canyon 30 years after visiting it with my parents. At the time the Grand Canyon Railroad had not yet been resurrected from the dead, so I wanted to experience going to the Grand Canyon by train, something I wanted to do as a child but could not.

I originally looked into just buying the train tickets and staying elsewhere, but I suspect because it was February, they were offering package deals that included hotel and train fare for only slightly more than the hotel alone. So I booked the package deal.

I was impressed with the design of the hotel. The lobby gave you the feeling you were in some hunting lodge in Montana, and the service I got at the desk was friendly and quick. I was given room 2100 which is right above the staircase and overlooks the entry lobby. Despite that, I didn't hear any noise at all.

The room was especially clean. The bathroom could use a bit of updating (I'm guessing the building was built in the 80's) but was spotless. Because it was a corner room it was oddly shaped, but spacious. Except for the closet though, as those same odd angles made for an oddly shaped closet that didn't fit a lot of stuff.

The room had a nice flat screen TV and 2 comfortable beds. I'm glad they don't use bedspreads anymore, they are often dirty and exacerbate my allergies. The wall HVAC unit put out a nice steady stream of warm air even though it dipped to 18 degrees outside overnight.

Now for the bad. First of all, why do more expensive hotels charge for WiFi ($9.95/day in the case of this hotel) when the cheap ones tend to give it away? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Second, the lighting is terrible. You have to make do with a light above the door, the lights in the bathroom, 2 wall sconces between the beds, and one floor lamp. That may sound like a lot, but trust me when the sun goes down you will be in a dark room even with all the lights on. Part of the problem is they appear to use the lowest wattage CFL's available. It also needs at least two floor lamps; I had to pull the single one from another part of the room and put it by the table so I could at least see what I was eating.

Third, STAY AWAY from any packages that include meals at their restaurant next to the depot. I opted to not add meals to my hotel room, and I am glad. Breakfast at $10.95 was overpriced and had poor selection; I've seen better at most Vegas buffets, and for that matter I've seen better at Hometown Buffet and even at the "free" breakfast buffets that other hotels have. I didn't have the $19.95 dinner, and after having breakfast I'm glad I didn't spend the money.

The hotel is convenient for those going on the train, but Williams is so small and the hotel offers its parking lot for all train users that it's not a problem to stay elsewhere in town. But I would still recommend this hotel, just beware of a few things.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo