2,608 results
All reviews package deal maswik lodge train trip dinner buffet night package dome car pasta bar pasta station grand canyon railway depot cafe train robbery included meals deluxe room taking the train buffet style wild west show south rim
Reviewed 8 May 2011

After reading mixed reviews, I was trying to be open minded about this experience.
We arrived in Williams for 1 night stay at the GC Railway Hotel from our previous nights in Phoenix with our 2 kids ages 5 and 8. The town of Williams has NOTHING in it. It's very boring and very barren. be forewarned.
The hotel itself was nice and was certainly adequate for 1 night. They had an indoor pool that was nice for the kids but we had to actually walk outside to get to it and since it was COLD, it wasn't appealing. (keep in mind, we were there May 1)
The train to the GC was not fun. The Wild West show was terrible. Even my kids were not amused. I would recommend to skip that all together.

The train ride TO the GC was slow moving and the "scenery" was nothing to write home about- lots of fields to see. The "entertainment" was pathetic and torturous to deal with. Every train car has a "narrator" of sorts and ours was just not interesting. We could hardly hear him speak thru the "microphone" and he talked about boring stories that neither the kids or my husband or I found amusing.

Once we arrived at the GC, it was fine. Except...DO NOT pay for the bus tour! Waste of money and the park has FREE buses. Repeat: do not pay for the overpriced bus tour.

The train ride back to the hotel seemed longer than before. The "entertainment" was worse than before and the "stories told" were far more boring. The mock train robbery was so cheesy and even my kids weren't that amused. We couldn't wait to get off the train! The train could speed up so it gets to the destinations faster.

So....proceed with caution......I would NOT do the train again. It is nice to say we experienced it (I think) but I certainly would not do it again....even if it was free.

The hotel was fine and I would stay there again however.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Boston0312
Reviewed 24 April 2011

We wanted to visit the Grand Canyon and I researched all the options and found that going to the national park was the best way to see the Canyon then I came accross the train. My 3yr old loves trains so I was impressed by the ease with which I could book the accommodation and train on the internet so Ibooked. I was expecting a small hotel associated with the railway. Small is not what it was. The hotel was obviously recently been refurbished and some parts still being finished. Our room was everything we needed for the 1 night stay.
I found all of the staff to be friendly from check in to the buffet to the gift shop. The gift shop staff were still helpful and friendly eventhough we were shopping after closing time (I noticed the closing time when I was leaving the store).
The Buffet was good and convenient. There was something for everyone in my family which is good since the kids are a little fussy.
I was impressed with Xanterras eco friendly policies and practices.
We had an excellent time at Williams and the Grand Canyon. I only wish we could come for their Polar Express train at Christmas time but it is too far from Australia to come.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Xanterra, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Canyon Railway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2011

Thanks for sharing your trip review and for visiting us all the way from Australia! Staying at the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel makes it convenient to hop on the train and visit the Grand Canyon for a day trip. We're pleased you enjoyed your accommodations and that you found our staff to be helpful and friendly.

-Dianne R.
Guest Relations Manager / Grand Canyon Railway Hotel

Reviewed 18 April 2011

Stay at the hotel and take the railway to the south rim of the Grand Canyon. Surprisingly good hotel- rooms have recently been re-done. The buffet dinner is ok- nothing special, but is convenient. The railway is a great experience and provides some excellent sightseeing along the way.

Room Tip: Ask at the desk. Staff is very helpful
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 April 2011

We only stayed one night before taking the train to/from the south rim of the Grand Canyon - nice place and buffet dinner and breakfast adequate too.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 April 2011

These people had it together, we booked this as part of a rails to rim tour through AAA. When we checked in the line went super fast. They had a packet ready for us and explained where and how to pick up the vouchers for the rest of our trip. When we picked up the vouchers, AGAIN they were ready and waiting. The ticket lady explained every voucher and told us where to go and when to have our bags in the lobby for transfer to the train. (we spent one night in the canyon) They had even filled out the luggage tag, we didn't have to do anything but attach it to our bag. The buffet was nice but no frills, I did enjoy the salad and pasta bars and the meat station had VERY tasty cuts of turkey and prime rib. The servers were very good and super nice. We had a deluxe room, which was very tasteful and comfortable. I really liked the commitment to recycling. They had an in room recycle bucket and they also used wall mounted shampoo/conditioner/body wash despensers so as not to use and waste all those tiny bottles. The bottles of lotion they did have were cornstartch based biodegrable types, very nice! The train trip was GREAT! The staff was very friendly and accomodating. They talked to everyone and told jokes. It was very relaxed and enjoyable. We did have first class seats which included free sodas/coffee and pastries in the morning and cheese/veggies and crackers along with sodas, lemonade and coffee in the evening. The train "robbery" was hokey enough to be really fun!! They took their time with the kids that were in our car, very nice! On the return trip they had our bags put back into our room so there was no muss or fuss carrying them back to the room. The whole experience left me feeling rested and very well taken care of.

Room Tip: deluxe room & first class train seats
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple