“Grand Canyon Trip”

Grand Canyon Railway Hotel
Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Williams
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

The Grand Canyon Railway Hotel was clean and very lovely! Lots of food and drink and desert! Two really fun gift shops. And walking distance to the downtown of Williams. The train ride to the Grand Canyon was a blast!! Very relaxing and again, lots of food and drink!! Our attendant was Sasha. She was very funny and took good care of us!! It was a trip my granddaughter and I will always remember!!

Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Onehappynanana
Xanterra, Public Relations Manager at Grand Canyon Railway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us, we hope to have you as our guests again sometime soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,185)

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Hotel Check in was crazy between 3-4 pm. They handled the crowd very well. The hotel rooms are nothing spectacular ( basically a plae to lay down). But it is close to the depot and buffett for those with kids doing the polar express. Staff was nice and helpful. The lobby is nice and quite after 10 pm and there is a big fireplace to relax and unwind.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank lvchick79
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

This hotel is super clean and cute. What makes this place great is their staff. They have all been so friendly. Everyone from front desk to the people cooking omelets have been cheerful and helpful. The rooms are spacious and clean. They really get into the Polar Express theme.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Squirrel75
Xanterra, Public Relations Manager at Grand Canyon Railway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, we hope to have you as our guests again sometime soon!

Reviewed 23 November 2013

I recently stayed here with my family and did the train ride to the Grand Canyon. Experienced poor customer service for overpriced rooms. Pay for your room with cash. This place will charge your credit card more times then they are supposed to then give you a hard time refunding what they overcharged your card. They even hung up on the credit card representative that called to straighten out the issue. Thankfully credit card company refunded card without the hotels authorization after that experience. Train ride was ok. Stay somewhere else for your money.

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank Tizler

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us. As with all large hotels, there are times when our guests find us at less than our best, and issues such as billing are best handled on site where our staff can correct the issue.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

My family had the best time ever here. From the complimentary breakfast, to the train ride. The pool is wonderful and the hot tub is even better. My kids stayed busy for hours. My son worked out every night. The service was friendly , especially at the gift store. I can only hope we will be back.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 22 November 2013

We are so glad that we made this one of our vacation destinations. The Grand Canyon Railway Hotel is THE WAY to go to see the Grand Canyon. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The overnight train excursion package that took us to the Canyon is worth the money. We were surprised and impressed with the food and the friendly efficient service at the Grand Canyon Hotel!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nancy L

Reviewed 18 November 2013

The hotel is nice - clearly geared at families (buffet style restaurant) but it was the staff that really made it for me.

I got in very early - the Amtrak train dropped me at the "station" - really just a stop - no building, no platform, nothing - in the middle of nowhere at 5am. I was very pleased to see the hotel's shuttle waiting for me & the 2 other people that got off the train, in the cold & dark. The driver was very cheerful.

The lady at reception was very friendly & let me check in straight away - I really wasn't expecting that - I was expecting to sit in the (huge) lobby (next to the roaring fire) until my Canyon tour at 9am.

The Canyon tour cancelled due to lack of numbers at the last minute, so it was great to get into the room & have a hot shower. Plus, the staff gave me details of a shuttle to take me up to the Canyon and back, which was great & saved me $$.

The Amtrak train I was scheduled to take back to Los Angeles at 10:30pm a few days later was delayed because a freight train derailed - in the end I decided to cancel it because Amtrak had no idea when there would be any kind of transport (the busses were having trouble, too) & flew back from Flagstaff. The night manager at the hotel was incredibly helpful - she gave me a great rate for a room for the night (at 11:30pm) and helped me sort out a cab to Flagstaff the next morning. She also helped out an older lady, who was in a similar situation to me but in a much more worried state, in a very kind way.

I'd booked the package up to the Canyon on the train & I loved it. The train is great & the staff are very helpful & friendly. On the way back from the Canyon, the train died, and they had to send another engine up to rescue us. I was in The Chief carriage, where the champagne was flowing - we were all happy to sit & chat with the cowboys & the staff and watch the sun go down, while the new engine made its way to us. The delay was handled really well.

I stayed in the Maswick Lodge for one night at the Canyon - the transfer of luggage worked well & staff at the Maswick were nice. The main benefit of staying up there was the fact that this allowed me to get out & see the sun rise & set over the Canyon. Beautiful.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank rebshep

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us. Those of us in the hospitality industry know that everything doesn't always go according to plan, and we place a lot of importance in being flexible for our guests. We hope to have you as our guest again sometime soon!