“Awful. Overpriced. Desk staff uninformed.”

Grand Canyon Railway Hotel
Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Williams
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I stayed here in January. It was awful.

First, the staff tried to tell me it was a historic hotel. Sorry, but I'm originally from the area. The old hotel is now the depot. The current hotel was built in the 90s. Get your facts straight.

Second. I paid $200 a night for what was just about Motel 6 quality. And what's with the awful colors in the rooms and outside? Who painted the place, the local pre-school?

I chose to stay in town for a few more nights. I checked into another hotel on Route 66. It was just as good, but only cost $40 a night. The rooms were much better, especially considering the price.

Also, for the money you'd expect free wifi, actual cable TV, a clean pool and room service. Instead you get nothing more than Motel 6 quality, a lousy "pub" that serves pasta? (What pub serves pasta?!?) and staff that can't make a decision or seems to know anything.

Do yourself a favor, avoid this place at all costs.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Eric P
Write a ReviewReviews (2,222)

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Arrived to hotel after a ride from tombstone. Very nice environment. Weather was cold, but after the morning frost melts; it was a very nice day. Our room was very roomy and clean. They should change the TV to a flat screen.
Don't know the history around the hotel area, but I experience something that was proberly a fluke. But my 1st nite, I felt something like a small kid or something roll over my right hip as I slept. Then the next nite I was watching tv and noticed a reflection or a picture of sort on the secretary table. The photo showed up on the ice bag. Not sure if I can post here, but if you want to see what i catured; check you tube. Will post there under Grand Canyon Railway Hotel. Other than that had a great time .
The train ride and tour to grand canyon was excellent.I would do it all again.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank risha206
Xanterra, Public Relations Manager at Grand Canyon Railway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, we hope to have you as our guests again sometime soon!

Reviewed 28 March 2014

This place is set up like a maze. Finding your room will make you feel like a mouse. Our room faced the inner courtyard on the second floor. It was an average room. No microwave or fridge. You could upgrade to a deluxe room which would include these options. The people here make up for the lack of comfort in the room. They get it. They know that the money from the tourists is what makes this town tick. The gym had all the equipment that I needed to workout. The pool was cold and not inviting. It looked murky and dirty. This was the same for the hot tub. The games room upstairs was not much more than an arcade. They closed off parts of the building because of some renovations, but most people did not spend much time here. The purpose to this place was to get ready for the train trip to the Grand Canyon. We enjoyed the Grand Canyon and the side shows that was part of the entertainment. The SharpShooter people who take your photos and then ask for $35 buck for some photo and cheap magnet, come on. This type of reverse marketing bugs me. They were not high pressure sale, but really $35. I didn't like this. The train ride was enjoyable and informative. Watch for the longest tunnel in all of Arizona, it is fascinating. Keep an eye out the window as we saw a fox, wild pigs, rabbits, horses, deers, and train robbers. This was the best part of our trip. We probably would not come back to stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Route 66 diner had some good BBQ. Find a coupon in the resort magazines. The pizza joint was bette...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank KenKiK

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, we recently remodeled over 100 rooms at the GCR Hotel and we hope to have you as our guests again sometime soon!

Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

I have nothing but great things to say about our 2 night/2day stay at the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel. We booked our weekend getaway approximately one month in advance through their website and from our arrival to our departure we received 5-star service and hospitality from all hotel and train staff. This was truly a memorable family adventure and location that I will recommend to all of my traveling friends.

We checked in at the beautifully appointed lobby and were greeted warmly by the front desk staff. They were able to accommodate my wife's request for a second floor room and took the time to map out all the hotel amenities and itinerary for the weekend. They even cheerfully shared recommendations on favorite local dining spots.

Our room was clean and appeared to be recently renovated and was adequate in size for our family of 3. The bathroom was clean and well stocked with linens and bath needs and the Keurig coffee maker and in room refrigerator were unexpected bonuses. It was clear on our all day outing that the housekeeping service was conscientious and efficient as we returned to a new looking room.

My son and I enjoyed one meal at the on site buffet and for a $12 breakfast it was a fair value with adequate choices and an omelette station. The on site pub served up great breakfast pastries and we were able to enjoy local craft brews one evening in a nice setting. The original artwork throughout the hotel is not to be missed and the lobby, though small in square footage, is large on visual impact and is quite welcoming with an amazing fireplace (burning real wood) and large comfortable couches.

The location of the hotel is perfect. Of course it is located at the GCRR Williams train depot for easy access for our Grand Canyon excursion but it is also just a 5-minute walk from central Williams and Route 66 and all the touristy glitz, shops and restaurants.

My wife enjoyed a dip in the indoor jacuzzi while my son dropped a few quarters in the small game room.

In closing I would just say that this location is superb and it is definitely enhanced by the quality and friendliness of staff working in all aspects of the property.

PS - not that it is specific to this property but travelers should be prepared to pay the 11% local tax on EVERYTHING in the town of Williams. That caught us off guard but is just a fact to be aware of.

Stayed: March 2014
4  Thank Mark P

Reviewed 23 March 2014

We stayed here in March 2014 to visit the Grand Canyon via the Grand Canyon train. This hotel sits right next to the train depot and loading/unloading area so the most convenient location you'll find if riding the train. I reserved online and check in was as easy as it gets. The lobby is very updated, clean and staff is friendly and helpful. Our room was on the second floor (there is only 2 levels). We got the 2 queen room. All rooms include a mini-fridge, TV, free Wi-Fi, etc. We often pack our own food on trips so the fridge was very convenient for milk, creamer, etc. There is also a kuerig machine with Green Mountain k-cups. No need to head to the lobby restaurant for coffee. But there is Spencer's in the lobby which is open early for coffee and pastries. An indoor swimming pool was great for the kids during down times and love that weather isn't a factor as it was quite chilly during our stay. My husband and I enjoyed the spa as well. I also used the gym each morning which has 2 treadmills, elliptical, stationary bikes, weights a physio-ball and some circuit machine. All very clean and ready to use. I was always the only one in there :-)
There are lots of nice outdoor areas to relax with soft music played from speakers in the landscaping. The train ride is a lot of fun and begins with an old west style gun show about 15 minutes before departure. It was cute but I feel unnecessary. However, it does lead into the mock train robbery that will happen on the way back from the canyon. Our seats were in the "Pullman" car which was the very first after the engine. Nothing fancy but very comfortable and the seat backs can move so 4 people can be facing each other which was perfect for our family. I was glad to learn we'd have the same seats both ways so we really felt they were reserved. Nice train ride but a little long for little ones, 2 hours 15 minutes, and not much to look at scenery wise although it is very pretty. The train car "hostess" was very good at keeping people entertained and there were a couple acts, a fiddler and an accordion player that also provided entertainment. They all work for tips and expect them so be prepared!
Your time at Grand Canyon is about 4 hours, just enough time in my opinion to grab lunch (several options to fit any budget) see the sights, so a little walking/hiking and visit a gift shop before it's time to leave again. As I mentioned before, there is a mock train robbery on the way back. I was led to believe this would be set up to be more real but our hostess let us know it would happen and when, Sort of disappointing. But the kids enjoyed.
Back at the hotel, we ordered more cups and coffee for the morning, the front desk was eager to help, and enjoyed the evening. We ordered dessert to-go from Spencer's (the Mudd Pie is to die for!).
I appreciated all the hotels efforts to conserve resources. Refillable shampoo, conditioner and body wash bottles in the shower/sink and encouraging towel reuse were a few. Check out was a breeze, no issues at all.
All in all this was a nice, quick family getaway that I would recommend!

Room Tip: All rooms seem equally good although if you want to be near the pool, request as access is only on o...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank crews95

Reviewed 20 March 2014

We enjoyed the lovely rooms at the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel. Had a very nice meal in the evening, but breakfast was not that great. All in all a nice place to stay before you board the train in the am for the trip to the Grand Canyon.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Our family of 4 arrived on Monday. We booked a package with the train ride and an additional overnight stay at the Maswik Lodge (reviewed separately). Upon arrival at the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel, we were impressed with the lobby. It's large and beautiful. The staff was very friendly. We checked into our standard room, but quickly realized that there were bugs on the beds. They didn't look like bed bugs, but more like some type of gnat. We told the front desk and they sent two people up immediately to check it out. The gentleman took a few of the bugs back to the front desk with him and the woman explained that they were getting us a new room and that they would be completely stripping the current room down to remove the bugs. We were upgraded to a deluxe room, which means you get a flat screen TV and a refrigerator. Other than the issue with the bugs, we found the hotel to be very clean. Our boys really enjoyed the indoor pool and they loved the train rides to and from the canyon. As part of our package, meals were also included. The food was good, especially the biscuits and gravy!

There is quite a bit to do in town, within walking distance. Also, there is a Dollar General Store about one block away, which proved to be handy when I forgot a few items. The town does not have a Walmart or Target store.

The gift shops at the hotel, in the restaurant and depot, were reasonably priced and had lots of nice touristy items.

Overall, the convenience was well worth the price. I would recommend this to anyone with children!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family