“Grand Canyon Bucket List”

Grand Canyon Railway Hotel
Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Williams
GreenLeadersGold level
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Grand Canyon Bucket List”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The Grand Canyon has been on my wife's bucket list forever and we were finally able to go. I decided to do the Canyon Discovery Plus package. Overall it was a good decision, but I'd make changes if I did it again.

The best decision was to take the train to and from the canyon. I opted for the Luxury Dome Class and it was very enjoyable. The ladies made the trip fun and easy and they provided snacks and drinks. They are not the best stand-up comedians, but they tried and the patrons did enjoy it. You had fantastic views and I didn't have to drive.

Because I wanted to really make this trip memorable I chose the Rail Baron Suite. If you have a lot of family and want a place you can all get together, this is a great option. However, I was disappointed because I didn't pay close attention to the pictures and read into the room description my own assumptions. I was expecting a charming and antique suite that dated to years ago that was updated. I was completely wrong. It is a large well-equipted and modern suite with a functional kitchen and a nice bathroom. Just no charm.

This package includes an overnight stay at the Maswik Lodge. The overnight stay was fantastic, the Maswik lodge was not. The people at Maswik were friendly and helpful. The Lodge was underwhelming.

Overall, I would heartily recommend the Train and the overnight stay at the Grand Canyon South Rim, Staying at the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel is convenient and comfortable. The dinner buffets are standard buffet fare but I might look into other restaurants in Williams which is a 5 minute walk from the hotel.. I would look into places other than the Maswik to stay on the South Rim. Nothing horrible about it but the rooms could use some updating and staying at one of the other hotels might make for a more special memory.

Room Tip: Ask where your room is relative to the pool. Kids have a great time, but the noise level can be hig...
Green Features: Rather than bars of soap, they provide pump bottles of body wash. Also they provide shampoo, conditioner and body lotion in pump bottles. On the train, they make a special point about recycling as much as possible. Food leftovers are not thrown away but are sent to Bearizonia.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mark G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
Harlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

There were 10 in our family and we booked for the train ride to the canyon. Unfortunately I became very ill on the day of the train trip. The staff were very understanding and looked after me and without our knowledge even refunded the train costs for both me and my husband. Accommodation very nice and staff excellent. Thank you very much. Highly recommended. The cowboy show very good before the train ride.

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank SueCurtisEvans
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

The room was very comfortable and quiet. The renovations are very tasteful. We stayed on the second floor to ensure that there would be no noise overhead. Stayed two peaceful nights. The staff are friendly and efficient.

• Stayed June 2014
West Helena, Arkansas
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

We had so much fun on the train ride to the Grand Canyon. Our speaker for the trip was amber rose. She was so funny and informative. Never a dull moment. The hotel was very nice they were doing a little remodeling to the regular check in spot. But I had no problem checking in. The hotel people were very helpful and answered any questions I had. I will be back one day.

Stayed June 2014
Woodward, Oklahoma
Reviewed 21 June 2014

My family had a package deal. I have AAA so I got a discount on the package. Which included two dinners and two breakfasts. We arrived on Saturday about 3:00 pm and were allowed to check in early. Meals at Depot Cafe were very good and so was the service. Our package included two nights at Train Depot Hotel, train ride to Grand Canyon and a bus tour and a one night stay at the canyon and train ride back Trip would have been great but wind blew 50-60 mph the whole time we were at the canyon. Our son is 13 and he enjoyed the train and the canyon. We had first class seats in the dome car. Train employees and hotel employees were great. Hotel is within walking distance to downtown. Cowboy shoot out was good for little kids. Would recommend the trip to anyone.

Green Features: Hotel and train are very eco friendly. Hotel and train recycle and use waste water to water plants. All rooms and train had recycle bins for paper, plastic and cans.
2 Thank Steve N
San Diego, California
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Booked this hotel as train to the Grand Canyon leaves from a station next door. Very convenient. Room was a couple of hundred bucks so I expected a lot. Lots of parking but all in back which can leave one with a long walk with luggage, not easy if you are not 20 years of age. Room was a little small. Cave like room needed at least two more lights .Seemed reasonably clean. Comparable to $80 rooms I have stayed in. TV appeared to be limited to very few channels. Bad room location, I guess, as was noisy with adults loud talking and kids screaming outside my room most of evening. NO microwave, and when I went to front desk they did not have a microwave either. Employee on break told me they wanted more people to use their $21 buffet so the foreign company that owns the hotel had the microwaves removed hoping to increase profits. NIce playground but a long hike over a bridge, Could not believe there is no breakfast served at this price. Many better hotel choices nearby and you are allowed to park here while on train ride. I travel a lot and I was just not impressed by the cost to lack of amenities, Bright spot is a pet motel near playground at reasonable cost while on train. Need not stay at hotel to use pet motel.

Room Tip: First floor rooms can be noisy and rooms near parking in back are more conveient for luggage.
1 Thank specialgeh
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The hotel is a wonderful place to stay if you are taking the train to the Grand Canyon. The train station is within a hundred yards. The hotel is not a 5 star big city hotel, but is great for families with kids as it has a nice pool, is a short walk to downtown (get downtown to see the 7:00PM Wild West Shootout on main street), close to the zip line and the restaurant is a buffet which is certainly not gourmet, but has something for all the kids. We took our daughter and her two sons and they really enjoyed the place. The staff was especially helpful as the lock on one of the room doors didn't function and they were quick to get it fixed. We would definitely go back.

Room Tip: If you stay on the west side, move your car to the east side after the 5:45PM train come back and so...
Green Features: The hotel uses community bottles of body wash and shampoo. Very difficult for giving baths to kids.
1 Thank cbrsantafe