The Grand Canyon has been on my wife's bucket list forever and we were finally able to go. I decided to do the Canyon Discovery Plus package. Overall it was a good decision, but I'd make changes if I did it again.
The best decision was to take the train to and from the canyon. I opted for the Luxury Dome Class and it was very enjoyable. The ladies made the trip fun and easy and they provided snacks and drinks. They are not the best stand-up comedians, but they tried and the patrons did enjoy it. You had fantastic views and I didn't have to drive.
Because I wanted to really make this trip memorable I chose the Rail Baron Suite. If you have a lot of family and want a place you can all get together, this is a great option. However, I was disappointed because I didn't pay close attention to the pictures and read into the room description my own assumptions. I was expecting a charming and antique suite that dated to years ago that was updated. I was completely wrong. It is a large well-equipted and modern suite with a functional kitchen and a nice bathroom. Just no charm.
This package includes an overnight stay at the Maswik Lodge. The overnight stay was fantastic, the Maswik lodge was not. The people at Maswik were friendly and helpful. The Lodge was underwhelming.
Overall, I would heartily recommend the Train and the overnight stay at the Grand Canyon South Rim, Staying at the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel is convenient and comfortable. The dinner buffets are standard buffet fare but I might look into other restaurants in Williams which is a 5 minute walk from the hotel.. I would look into places other than the Maswik to stay on the South Rim. Nothing horrible about it but the rooms could use some updating and staying at one of the other hotels might make for a more special memory.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience the luxury of a bygone era at Grand Canyon Railway Hotel. Designed to resemble the century-old train depot that housed the original Fray Marcos Hotel, our hotel is a relaxing retreat in a picturesque Western setting. The 298-room hotel is just a block away from downtown Williams and historic Route 66. Combined with a variety of amenities such as complimentary wi-fi, an indoor pool and hot tub, delicious dining options at Grand Depot Cafe and Spenser's Pub, The Grand Canyon Railway Hotel is the perfect place to stay before embarking on your grandest of journeys! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Canyon Railway Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Canyon Railway Williams
- Fray Marcos Hotel
- Hotel Grand Canyon Railway