“Excellent value!”

Grand Canyon Railway Hotel
Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Williams
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My husband and I booked a package deal that included two separate nights at the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel. We were very pleasantly surprised! The rooms were very clean, the beds were some of the most comfortable we've slept in, and we received excellent customer service from the employees. When we took the train to the canyon, our bags were transferred from our room to the hotel in the canyon...and back when we returned, easy- peasy! We had a musical instrument with us that we didn't want transported or stored in our car and the front desk employee took it personally to storage for us so it wouldn't get damaged. Our package included buffet meals in their dining room and we were pleased both with the variety and quality of the food. They handle a high volume of visitors very well. Any waits we had were minimal - certainly no more than we've had in other, less trafficked locations. If you're expecting the Ritz Carlton, this may not be the place for you, but if you want great value with above-average accommodations and meals look no farther.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Carol T

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

I'm not sure exactly what I expected, but this hotel exceeded my expectations. The room was recently upgraded with memory foam pillows and flat screen TV. The staff was friendly and the lobby was great. Would definitely return. The Grand Canyon railroad was also great.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ntclarkson
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed here in lieu of staying at a lodge in the Grand Canyon. This hotel was fabulous for my family of 5. The rooms were extremely clean and the beds were the most comfortable hotel beds I've been in in a long time. We have 2 active boys who loved the hotel pool, playground, horse shoe pit, and basketball court. The only thing that would make it better would be if breakfast were included as it can get expensive going to the restaurants. However, I will say the Depot Cafe was quite good. Excellent value. I would recommend this hotel to anyone planning a Grand Canyon trip.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank txmomof2boys
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My mom and I stayed at the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel for two nights. Our first impression of the place was not great. The parking lot was nearly full, and the lobby was packed with people waiting in line to check in. To make matters worse, the woman at the front desk was very unfriendly. Our "budget" room was pretty outdated, but clean. We dined at the buffet several times for convenience, and the food was nothing special. We were also a little disappointed to find that the bar closed at 10. In any case, the actual train ride to the Grand Canyon was a wonderful experience, so it made the stay at the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel worth while.

Room Tip: As one might expect, the budget rooms aren't very nice.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We had a great time in the Railway hotel. The hotel looks rather simple from the outside, but the true charm is on the inside. Everything breathes train-of-ages-ago. We booked the full arrangement with train ride to the Grand Canyon and we had a fantastic experience.

Only point of comment is the buffet; there is little variation and most of the dishes a combined with cheese. But the pasta-man compensated for this. On the second evening we had terrible service, very unfriendly waitress and comments were not picked up thru improvement. Too bad, we did this not ruin our great day at the canyon, and it was resolved at the check-out.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I stopped over at this hotel prior to taking the train to the Grand Canyon. This hotel was purposely built for those utilising the railway.

Williams itself hosts a lovely parade of shops, bars and cafés within a stones throw from the hotel. On a part of Route 66 too as it happens. The hotel doesn't appear to compete with this - perhaps it's not allowed to?

I can't fault the evening meal and breakfast buffet I had but the hotel itself was lacking something. Atmosphere I think. Some of the staff weren't entirely customer focused. My husband witnessed a member of staff being less than helpful to guests with a foreign accent.

I did enjoy my stay but then I was excited about my venture to the Grand Canyon the next day.
Just because this is pretty much the only hotel in Williams shouldn't mean it doesn't fulfil its full potential.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have been to Williams, AZ before so we know that there aren't 5 star hotels there. We were ok with that. However, I find it dissapointing when the front desk staff checking you in is rude and disgruntled. The pool was closed because of a broken wine glass. There was no mention of this on their web site or we would have changed hotels. I overheard this from another guest checking in. Our reception lady curtly confirmed with a "yes" and didn't know if/when it would reopen. It was a very hot summer day in Arizona and we have pool loving kids. The wifi was not working. Just as the crabby front desk person alluded to as she handed me directions for it. Our room was very dimly lit which was probably for the best. There is old and quaint and just old. This hotel is the latter. The room had a very strong moldy smell coming from the bathroom.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank joentg
Xanterra, Public Relations Manager at Grand Canyon Railway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, we are sorry to hear that you found us at less than our very best during your stay. We will address the attitude of our front desk staff with their supervisors.