“Family Friendly Hotel and Town”

Grand Canyon Railway Hotel
Ranked #3 of 30 Hotels in Williams
GreenLeadersGold level
Carson, California
“Family Friendly Hotel and Town”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

First impression, the hotel had a modest appearance and amenities however as a whole, in my opinion that is the most charming and appealing part of it. Entering the town of Williams, AZ, alone is like stepping back in time from the hustle and bustle of city life. I made reservations for 2 rooms with 2 queen beds. Reservations for me, wife, 3 kids and 2 parents. The rooms were neat and clean. Free Wifi. The room reservations and train reservations were the bare bones package which consisted of 2 night stay at the Grand Canyon Hotel and train tickets. During the process of making my reservations, the booking agent on the phone was very patient, friendly and accommodating. He broke down all the expenses and presented a comparison which help make the decision process easy. The staff at the hotel and train depot were very friendly and helpful which lent to the atmosphere of the town.

The train depot was situated right next to the hotel.

On our last night, we ate a buffet dinner at the Grand Canyon Depot Restaurant next to the hotel. The staff at the restaurant were very courteous and helpful.

The town of Williams, AZ as a whole very cordial, friendly and very helpful. I would highly recommend the trip to Williams, AZ., stay at the Grand Canyon Hotel and train ride into Grand Canyon to any family and friends.

Green Features: Every hotel staff took the time to explain and give you options.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Masonic_Traveler394

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We booked a package that included room, meals and travel to the Grand Canyon. The hotel is clean and the rooms are fine. The hotel is in a great location as the train depot is out the back door of the hotel. You can also walk to Route 66 to eat, shop and even ride a zip line.

As stated above the hotel is fine. If you arrive at check in time be prepared for a line We waited about 15-20 minutes to check in. It seemed we encountered the staff having a bad day, as they were short and borderline rude. Then when our key would not work and I returned to the front desk, the staff gave me a 5 minute lecture on not putting the key near my cell phone (which I knew and did not). There were a few other guest who encountered the same thing with their room key. So between the long line to check in and being lectured, I was not in a good mood. After checking in at the hotel you have to mozy over to the train depot to pick up your train tickets and meal tickets. We were lucky as there was no line. We returned about 10 minutes later to visit the gift shop the line was out the door. I am sure there is a reason why you can't have everything in one place to pick up your tickets?

When you return from the Grand Canyon and you are spending another night, yep you guessed it another long line to re-check in. Though the line moves relatively fast, there was some grumbling in the line among the guests.

The meals are buffet style and the staff is friendly. The food is what you expect at a buffet with different choices with a meat and pasta stations added. As for breakfast add an omelette station a long with other standard breakfast foods.

The hotel has a bar/restaurant, which was not included in the package. The hotel has an indoor pool and a small gym.

I recommend the package. It is the way to go. If you spend a night or two at the Grand Canyon your luggage is taken care for you. You drop it off in the lobby and when you arrive at your room at the Grand Canyon your luggage is already there. It is the same when you return to the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel. We were able to store our extra luggage at the Railway Hotel while we spent the night in the park.

Room Tip: There are no rooms with a view.
Green Features: This is a big with the hotel's parent company. They have received awards for being environmentally friendly. This extends to the hotel and areas in the National Park.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travelforfun2009
jmrwest
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Booked this place online site unseen. Well, it was more than expected. Totally impressed with the little town of Williams AZ...didn't expect how much fun, and variety of restaurants there were. The hotel was very nice. stayed on the front and back end of our visit to the Canyon. Bought the meal package and it was worth it (wife and 3 kids). Very nice variety and great service. Would recommend this place for families and anyone nostalgic for Rt 66. All in all, my family had a very nice time at this hotel!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jmrwest
Reviewed 10 August 2014

When I booked a trip on the Grand Canyon Railway for me and my son, I bought the package including the hotel to save time and money. I figured that the hotel would be a tired, well-worn place that treated trapped travelers to bad service and stinky rooms. Boy was I wrong. The rooms were BEAUTIFUL, quiet and clean(I was in a mid-level room); the pool was clean and fun; the food included in the package was excellent; and the service was top notch! It was the best, most pleasant travel surprise I have had in years! And it was much more affordable than other options in town.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I purchased this package online best thing I did for sure, we bought the accommodation and meals with the first class train to the Grand Canyon and South Rim bus tour as well, this hotel has good rooms new comfortable beds and good service overall from the staff. The hotel is a resort with indoor pool and restaurants and bar, it has a large buffet restaurant with really good food for breakfast lunch and tea on the grounds as well, right on the Williams rail line where you can watch the Grand Canyon train leave each morning at around 9am and everybody goes out to wave of the train at the station just after the wild west shoot out very cool, there is a great gift and souvenir shop at the station for everything you could possibly need. Williams township is a lovely town and is on the famous route 66 so we enjoyed that as well bought lots of souvenirs from route 66 and have many really awesome photos from the area, we were here for three nights and really enjoyed ourselves highly recommend this package fantastic value.

Room Tip: we had a room overlooking the courtyard it was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank endlessumers
McKinney, Texas, United States
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My husband and I booked a package deal that included two separate nights at the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel. We were very pleasantly surprised! The rooms were very clean, the beds were some of the most comfortable we've slept in, and we received excellent customer service from the employees. When we took the train to the canyon, our bags were transferred from our room to the hotel in the canyon...and back when we returned, easy- peasy! We had a musical instrument with us that we didn't want transported or stored in our car and the front desk employee took it personally to storage for us so it wouldn't get damaged. Our package included buffet meals in their dining room and we were pleased both with the variety and quality of the food. They handle a high volume of visitors very well. Any waits we had were minimal - certainly no more than we've had in other, less trafficked locations. If you're expecting the Ritz Carlton, this may not be the place for you, but if you want great value with above-average accommodations and meals look no farther.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Carol T
Seneca, South Carolina
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

I'm not sure exactly what I expected, but this hotel exceeded my expectations. The room was recently upgraded with memory foam pillows and flat screen TV. The staff was friendly and the lobby was great. Would definitely return. The Grand Canyon railroad was also great.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family