“Pretty poor”

Ranked #30 of 30 Hotels in Williams
Phoenix, Arizona
“Pretty poor”
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Just don't do it!!! I don't write reviews very often but this is probably one of the most ordinary motels we have stayed in during our 3mths in USA. OK its cheap and the family room we had slept 8 of us but the room was old and smelly, the air conditioner barely worked, the door fell of the cupboard when we opened it, the pool out the front is "for personel use" (it was 110 on the day we arrived) and don't get me started on the black bananas they classifed as fresh fruit for breakfast.
Trust me pay more and go to the travelodge a bit further into town. It should be classified as a cheap hostel but i've stayed in better hostels than this.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Tucson
Reviewed 25 March 2013

The staff are exceptional, they are not only Very Friendly, Helpful, and Out Going but make you feel like you are part of a family. They are very knowledgeable about they area and will take the time to give you a map and show you some cool things to visit. A Continental Breakfast is also provided which is a nice savings and was really good. If you are looking for a High Dollar Hotel with Leather Chairs, Sleep Number Beds, and Meals delivered to your room then this Hotel is not for you. Now if you are looking for a Hotel to stay in that is clean, friendly and out going staff where you are made to feel relaxed with all the basic accommodations that will not empty out your wallet, them this is where I will bring my Family back to and recommend it to my friends. Thanks

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Whilst writing a review of this motel it is difficult to pin point the exact reason as to why this is the worse place in the USA (by some distance) I have ever stayed in. On the one hand - is the demise of the town of Williams AZ, a result of motels like this tarnishing it, or is it vice-versa' where the motel has been forced to rot because Williams AZ is now not the thriving Route 66 through town it once was - I suspect the latter. When you talk to the friendly Williams residents they all point to the time when the 'I40 by-pass' was built, back in 1989, thus taking away all of the Route 66 traffic and subsequent tourist money - however this is no excuse for the health and safety hazards that exist quite openly at this motel.

So about this motel - firstly it is always a bad sign when you are asked by a polite local, where you are staying - your reply 'Mountain side Inn - just up the road' and then you are met with an akward 'can't believe you are staying there' silence. It is another bad sign when you step out of the hotel and walk past both an Econolodge and a Travelodge, both sited next door and you think to yourself 'mmmmm I wish I had booked there instead !!!'.

Initial Check-in wasn't smooth, they couldn't find our booking - not a disaster, but in the days of the internet, in my humble opinion very unusual, to be fair it was resolved quickly, but the writing was on the wall from that point. After overcoming this we proceeded out of reception onto the empty car park (always a bad sign) past the 1st hazardous area - the junk metal scrap filled swimming pool, and on to our room. The rooms are simply awful, bordering on nightmare; dirty, cramped smelly are actually the best bits - Further inspections (under the bed) yielded 'motel freebies'; some old crayons, a McDonalds cup, a Jack in the Box hamburger wrapper and several free crumb food sample items that had simply not been cleaned up - complete with a smoke detector half hanging off the wall, with the other half in a bed side cabinet. Just for good measure in the room, the coffee maker was not working, the air conditioning unit was exceptionally noisy,all rounded off nicely with a dated 'worn out' feel about everything, It was very late - things cant possibly get any worse - or can they????

Next morning we ventured to the buffet breakfast proudly advertised by the motel. As we walked past the 'on-site' Miss Kitty Steakhouse, we witnessed a myriad of dirty plates, pots, cutlery, drinking glasses and uneaten food in the restarant area that had NOT been cleaned up from the night before - after nearly wretching, we decided to 'chance' the breakfast only for me to inadvertently pour 'sour milk' on my cereal whilst avoiding the brown apple slices that had been left out, forcing me to wretch again !! Whilst having our breakfast - I eventually opted for the 'safe melon bet' instead (now you cant go wrong there !!!!) we then got chatting to a French family, on a road trip vacation, and they were already just about to move next door to the Econolodge as they believed they were placing themselves in danger by stopping here.

Being a Brit I opted not to complain - afterall only 2 more nights in this hell hole, We only wanted the bed anyway. We were at Bearizona/Williams town one day and then on the Grand Canyon train the next. Whilst settling down to watch the dated fuzzy analogue TV on offer on the 2nd night (the internet WiFi didn't work and wouldn't connect) a German lady inadvertently walked in to our room. You guessed it she had been given the same room as us - and to me this summed this motel up - uncared for, unloved with the management team simply not bothered to the point of clueless., "Its a good job we were only watching the TV" - said my wife !!!!! If this empty motel cannot even get the very basics right, what else is it failing to do!

Stopping at this motel, almost prompted me to appeal to Tripadvisor to ask to make this motel a 'special case' and allow me to score it zero stars or even a negative one. My advice to readers obvious; if you want somewhere cheap to stop in Williams AZ then book either the Econonlodge or Travelodge next door or better still pay a bit extra and go 'up market' and book the 'Best Western' sited on the outskirts of the town about 2 miles away - I genuienly think that if you stop at this motel you are risking your health, safety and wellbeing - this is a genuine and honest warning.

My advice to the motel owners - employ your local demolition squad to flatten this place before you seriously hurt or poison someone. Then build a Walgreens pharmacy on the site that is left as this is what Williams AZ is lacking.

Room Tip: Dont do it..........
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Cliveyboy1971

Travellers are raving about these Williams hotels

texas
Reviewed 23 June 2012

This place definately budget...room musty worn and scary. Old junk sitting around everywhere. Spider centipede and moths greeted us in bathroom. If you don't mind this type motel then stay here however they charge $80 so would stay somewhere else next time. We were exhausted after being at grand canyon all day so stayed out of desperation. There were napkins on the table where someone had been eating in the room and door standing open when we arrived. Motorcycle gang staying there and that was only other people we saw there.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank kalamazootx
Ames, Iowa
Reviewed 1 June 2012

This place was shabby and dirty! The bed linens were worn and looked like they'd been slept in. The TV didn't work.

Mountain Side Inn in Williams, AZ looked very nice on the website. We arrived before evening dinner, checked in and then found a large torn bag of garbage on the parking lot next to our room, with garbage falling out onto the lot. It was still there the next morning. The room next to our's had a broken window the size of a grapefruit and the drapes were wide open, revealing stacked mattresses and odd pieces of furniture. The windows in our building were extremely dirty!

The parking lot near the pool had both a junked car and junked truck...the truck was full of all kinds of trash stacked high. The pool was surrounded by a wooden fence that looked as though it would fall over. We couldn't actually see the pool.

At both ends of the building where our room was, there were old stuffed chairs. It appeared that two families were living in the building. On our end of the building, two small children were playing in the parking lot on a tricyle and other outdoor toys were in front. On the other end, someone had a small fire in front of their room(s) when we returned from dining out...(perhaps a fire pit?).

We had to stay because we prepaid via credit card, otherwise we would have literally RUN!

Room Tip: Would NOT recommend a room at this location!!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Carolyn R
Boulder
Reviewed 30 May 2012

When we arrived late a few nights we were looking forward to a nice hotel/motel room. What we found was the Mountain Side Inn. Which means: the bed sheets were crumbled and looked like they had been used, in the bath room we could write in the dust on the windowsill and we had a dead guest - a moth. 4 people were announced to stay in the room and we found 3 towels that were stained. When we asked for one more towel, the Asian guy at the front desk said they were out of big towels and gave us 2 small ones and 2 washcloths.
The next morning we complained about all of that and requested a change of sheets, new towels and a clean bathroom. The woman there told us that the sheets are all crumbled because someone left them in the dryer too long, but she promised that the rest will be taken care of. When we came back that night, nothing had changed. Sheets still crumbled, towels new but stained and dust was still there. When we went for breakfast (which started at 7:30) at 7:30, it was almost empty. We had to request coffee and cups and others asked for different things. When we checked out that day, I complained again and got the funniest and most ridiculous excuses (besides the dryer): the dust was/is there because they had a few sand storms and no-one stayed in that room for a longer time and the maid is Spanish and doesn't understand and the towels were stained because they had some problems with the water lately. I requested some money back and she said that it's not possible. We didn't even receive an apology.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Janin K
Valdosta, Georgia
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I have traveled in many places, but this Inn was the WORST!! The walls are so thin, we heard traffic and the man that was in the room to the right sneezed all night and the couple that was in the room to the left talked. The breakfast that was suppose to be included was just about emptied from the 2 buses of people, that arrived before 8:00 am. The sugar had roaches in it and there was no one to tell to replace the sugar. The room also had roaches. When I went to check out I told the toothless woman sitting on the couch about the breakfast and the sugar, then she and an Asian woman yelled at me, so I left. When I was in the van the woman went into the room we had and came out yelling about our dog, which stayed in the van, NOT in the room. Received the cc statement, which had 2 charges for staying 1 night. I have disputed the charge. This place needs to be checked out be authorities!

Room Tip: Can not think of anything good!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple