“Fun day”

and up
Grand Canyon Railway Adventure Package
Ranked #1 of 37 things to do in Williams
More attraction details
Owner description: Historic train that takes a 65-mile trip from Williams to the Grand Canyon and offers great views of the Arizona high country.
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Great way to enjoy a scenic ride to the Grand Canyon South Rim. Amber Rose made the ride all the more entertaining, as did our perfomers Tommy and Jesse.

Xanterra, Public Relations Manager at Grand Canyon Railway, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Amber Rose is one of our veteran Passenger Service Attendants, and she is also in charge of training new hires. We hope to have you as our guests again sometime soon!

Reviewed 3 December 2013

After hearing for years about this great experience we were finally able to secure tickets for Thanksgiving weekend, though we had to purchase our tickets back in August, and all dates/times were sold out but the afternoon on Black Friday. It was everything I hoped it would be and then some. Even my teenage daughters had a ball. We were saddened there was only one cookie and one small cup of hot cocoa, though the website boasts "fill up on cookies and cocoa while the waiters entertain you." My son said the cocoa tasted just like melted candy bars, and he drank it all! My sons enjoyed the "time warp tunnel" to propel us to the North Pole. What a grand experience when Santa boarded the train and talked to each and every child on the train. My older son was speechless when Santa tickled his rib cage and said "You'd better be good." I told him that Santa always knows! Santa teased my teenagers and debated whether they were deserving of a present. He even teased my husband. My boys cherish their special bells from Santa. I think my favorite part of the experience was the sing-a-long on the way back from the North Pole. Though it took a few songs for everyone to warm up, but the end everyone in our car was singing and laughing and all could feel the spirit of Christmas. This is a wonderful experience for everyone, both young and old. I wish the reading of "The Polar Express" had been louder as it was hard to hear, and my husband who is hard-of-hearing could not hear the reading at all. And if the waiters aren't entertaining and excited, the ride could be boring - not the case with Dani! My family loved every minute of this experience and we want to do it again.

3  Thank shellih2

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your Polar Express experience with us! We always love to hear about our passengers' reactions to meeting Santa Claus in person for the first time, and we'll be sure to let Dani know what a wonderful job she is doing. We hope that like many families, you'll make Polar Express an annual tradition, and that we'll have you as our guests again next year!

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Well we keep going back so it must be good right? Yes it is. We are going to continue are family tradition next year as well. I have two criticisms.

#1. The Hot Chocolate. They serve hot chocolate on the train to everyone, it's part of the story. Ok, I get it. Our experience is that it is always bad. Either too watery or too 'not hot' (read that as luke warm) For the last several years I have actually made my own and brought it. This year was different though. The hot chocolate was very strong but not warm at all.

#2. The Cookies. Much the same as the hot chocolate, cookies are given out to everyone and much the same as the hot chocolate the cookies are always bad. Ok, the kids love'em, umm, most kids love them, my son does not. I bake my own and bring them.

Despite the hot chocolate and the cookies, this is a fun time and we will keep coming up every year. I like the night train because it simulates the story much better.

1  Thank creeker000

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience on Polar Express with us! It is always good to hear from folks who have ridden for many years, as it helps us improve from year to year. Each year our staff wrestles with the hot chocolate and cookie issue - where to buy them from, powder or liquid, sugar or chocolate chip, etc. This year we've experimented with a new liquid cocoa mixture and a new warming method that has been met with generally positive results. I will forward your comments to our staff so they can include them in our end of Polar review. We look forward to having you as our guests on the Polar Express again next year!

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Went there on Nov 30th 2013. The fog was so bad that you could not see 5 feet from your nose. Every major news reported on it, but the local weatherman was still convinced it was "sunny".
I wish I knew it was this bad and impossible to see anything, i would have done something else that day, not to waste entire day on this activity and spend so much money for nothing!! But i guess it would be bad for Railway business to care about their own passengers.... When you come to visit us in New England and take a whale watching tour, they give you a rain check to come back if you don't get a chance to see one!

2  Thank Fog2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We pride ourselves on operating The Train 364 days a year, except Christmas Day, rain or shine, and we would only cancel a departure due to weather if there was some danger to our passengers from severe storms, or if the National Park was closed temporarily for the same reason. While traveling to the Grand Canyon during Winter offers less crowds and discounted rates, the weather in Northern Arizona isn't always as predictable like in Spring or Summer. In terms of offering a refund, we find it is best when handled in person with our staff during your stay. We hope to have you as our guests again sometime soon.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Love this ride to the Canyon! Relaxing, scenic and a wonderful way to spend the day. We stayed over night and returned the next day. Cant wait to do it all over again!