“OK for the area-poor communication-Perfumed rooms” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn of Williams

BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn of Williams
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Williams
Tucson, AZ
“OK for the area-poor communication-Perfumed rooms”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

PRO:
Decent bed and sleeping area
Out of the way a bit, not right in town-this is a good thing
nice outdoor fire pit and pool area
small bar/lounge
free but very simple breakfast, but still something there for most people.
day desk staff nice
Refrigerator in room
towels in great condition for a 3 star hotel
Near charming shopping route 66
Daryll the breakfast area manager/attendant

CON:
Night clerk the second night
Fragrance in rooms despite repeated discussions
denying they use fragrance
making me feel like it was "my fault"
dirty bathroom floor, tub, etc with other people's hair
checking in with minimal TP on the roll

Review rationale:

We stayed here 2 nights because we were traveling home from Vegas later in the evening and wanted to spend a day at the grand canyon. I made numerous calls to the 800 reserv and also the hotel itself on the day of arrival and before. Wanted quiet room and no fragrance sprayed in it. No rug spray scent etc. Just normal cleaning. I was assured no such things were ever used and my room would be quiet.
Well on that issue when we arrived the room was in a quiet area away from the lobby and ice. So that is the quiet area. I appreciated ground floor and not lugging my stuff up the stairs as there is no elevator. The room had no fragrance, did smell a bit musty and the bathroom full of someone else's hair. I mean seriously. Clean your mop.
The beds were comfortable and seemed to have a thick foam like pad. No complaints on that. Actually the bed area was very nice for a 3 star hotel. Has a fridge. Loved that. The room a/c took forever to cool down and in Flagstaff area yet where it was a bit chilly at night even in July (hey, we're from south AZ). But honestly it was the noisiest a/c ever. Not normal white noise. Loud cycling and wake you up stuff.

They have a nice fire pit outside with gas fire. Very charming and you could sit around it and talk to others (though the only swimmers were people from cold country). Waitress drink service at night at the firepit too with some kids getting hot chocolate. Nice little inside bar area with I swear watered down alcohol. I always order the same thing and it was watery. Restaurant menu was interesting but very very expensive. Didn't eat there. But it smelled good. Bartender was nice guy. But the whole outdoors and bar closes at 10 pm. Maybe to keep things quieter.

Morning was very noisy there. Kids running the halls and doors slamming. But we were getting up anyway. I know they can't control that in this older hotel.
The free breakfast was nice to have but it is really not special It also ends at 9:30 so get up!!Frozen waffles you toast, bagels, biscuit and gravy, some scrambled eggs, the usual fare. I appreciated having some coffee and a little eggs, kids had cereal or pastry.

My problem here became serious when I returned that second night late after the canyon and dinner in town. My room reeked of fragrance. Sprayed all over the entryway by the bath. You couldn't even get to the bathroom or bedroom area without sucking it in directly and the whole room reeked. I thought I would die. Not exaggerating. I even went to the front desk and the poorly informed gentleman told me no one sprayed my room. They do not guarantee hypoallergenic rooms he says, they use "normal" cleaning products. I told him this is not a normal product and I don't need hypoallergenic but my asthma requires no perfumes or fragrance. He insisted no on sprayed the rug it is their cleaning products. NO IT'S NOT!!
Where's the hospital? I may need it. Yeah, an hour away in Flagstaff. I was already wheezing at that point. He told me they had no other rooms and I could check out and not be charged. Now, were am I going to go with 2 kids at 10 at night in Hooterville? Nowhere. He took a few dollars off the bill.
I had to start on steroids and spent the night doing the inhaler. I was miserable. The next morning I asked the maid in the hall about it. She said, "oh yes, we spray fragrance on the rugs and the maid who does your room uses a lot. I tell her it bothers my allergies too."
So the night guy (Adam ) either lied or is totally uninformed in his job. Gee thanks for the few dollar discount night guy!
The next day I told the young woman on check out. I was very upset at the breathing issue. She told me that obviously the person at check in did not make a communication to day cleaners about no fragrance. They should have. She was very nice and gave me slightly more discount. But that didn't save my lungs. I couldn't wait to leave and breathe.
Positive note is the young man who seems to run the breakfast area. A nice African-American gentleman I believe named Darryl. He was such a great host, attentive to all people, announcing well in advance he was going to be turning off "his" burners. He smiled, cleared tables and was generally on the ball restocking etc. A total asset to his company. Hey, give him Adams job!!

If it wasn't for the fragrance I would have given 4 stars, despite the dirty bathroom. But due to the serious health problem this caused me despite my repeated conversations and then telling me I was wrong. I can't give it 4 stars.

Room Tip: stay downstairs if you don't want to walk stairs. stay at building ends to avoid some noise...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
BW_PLUS_of_Williams, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn of Williams, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
We are truly sorry for not listening to your request, especially involving your breathing health issue.
I again, sorry for the misinformation from our desk staff. I thank you for your honest comments, because it just helps us learn and get better. We will be using your response in our training sessions between Housekeeping, Front Desk, Breakfast and Lounge.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Staff was extremely friendly and room was really clean and comfortable. We arrived at 9 pm the first night after a long day a driving, without a clue of our plans next day for the Grand Canyon. The staff at the front desk suggested a tour, and helped get us booked within 10 minutes. For a tour starting at 9 am the next morning! The van picked us up right at the hotel. It was so nice not to have to worry about planning the day, and the tour was fantastic. The on-site restaurant was a bit pricey (we'd rather have hamburgers than steaks), but there were plenty of other food options in Williams right down the road. The free continental breakfast was nice, and not overcrowded like I'm used to at similar hotels. I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask about All-Star Grand Canyon tours - not cheap but definitely worth it!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We want you back again! Thank you for taking your time and writing such an honest review, we do appreciate the feedback. We use these reviews in our training sessions to improve our hotel and experience. Because we really do care. So, be safe in your journeys.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Friendly staff. Presently surprised by the pool, hot tub, lounge, live entertainment, and the fire pit provided. There is a top class restaurant---a little expensive for a whole family---not bad for a couple. Guest sat around the fire pit sharing experiences with each other. Great time, excellent value.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank richardfP1649TP
Thank you for taking your time to write the wonderful and positive review. We are so glad that you enjoyed all the eminities that we have to offer and that you would stay with us again. Be safe in your journeys.
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Went to Williams with my wife, brother in law and his two teenagers, mother-in-law, and father-in-law. I called the HOTEL the day of and the front desk staff was extremely helpful, especially since all of the hotels were selling out! When we got to the hotel, they had a sign stating that they were sold out! This hidden gem is CLEAN, ACCOMMODATING, and the front desk staff was the best! Some of the best customer service that I have encountered and I work for a rival chain!!! Only 5 minutes from downtown Williams and the Grand Canyon Railroad. We will not stay anywhere else when we go back to Williams.

Room Tip: 210 is a corner suite at the price of the single King price.
1 Thank Th4mper
We are glad that you will be staying with us again, Thank you for such a positive review and taking your time to describe you stay with us. Be safe in your journeys.
Henderson, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Have stayed here before. Accommodations were very nice. Employees go out of their way to help you in any way they can and are pleasant. The restaurant serves a wonderful dinner. Would definitely stay here next time we are there!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Alan S
Thank you for taking your time to write such a nice review of the hotel. We are happy that you plan to come back and stay with us again,,,what a compliment. Be safe in your journeys.
Pinetop-Lakeside, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

Good food, excellent staff, very nice and clean rooms and nestled in the hillside of pine trees. We enjoyed this place as a jumping off point for Bearizona and the south rim of the Grand Canyon. Both nights we stayed there we enjoyed live music adjacent to the restaurant as well as the outdoor fire pit, pool and jacuzzi. I would highly recommend this place and would return there again.

1 Thank gkomasa
Thank you for your kind and positive review...we want you to come back again and again...but, most of all we are glad that you enjoyed your vacation. Be safe in your journeys.
Burr Hill, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

I stayed at this wonderful place on June 11 with my husband and my mother. We traveled from Virginia to California, and on our way back stayed here. We stayed in a lot of hotels and this was one of the best. Nice, clean room, good restaurant, and very friendly staff. It was very convenient for our trip the next day to the Grand Canyon. A few days later, my mother realized she left her address book in the room, so I called the hotel and the desk clerk said she remembered seeing it. She immediately checked and found it. It was sent to my home and was waiting for us when we got there. Thank you Best Western! We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for you wonderful comments about our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you would visit us again...we will be waiting.