“I really wanted to like this place...”

Canyon Motel & RV Park
Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Williams
Phoenix, Arizona
“I really wanted to like this place...”
Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

I really wanted to like this place. The curb appeal is excellent. It is a large property scattered with train cars, cabooses, motel rooms, and even spaces for RV's. I love the concept of this facility. It is also pet friendly.
Upon arriving, we were greeted by a very friendly staff member who took her time to explain where everything was, provide brochures to the local attractions, and the restaurant coupons to the guests. She also provided a "welcome bag" for our pooch, which had 2 doggy treats and 2 "business" bags. She was also kind enough to explain where we could walk the dog on the property.
The room was average, definitely not luxurious. There was a tube television with poor reception. The wi-fi was very intermittent (which was blamed on the weather, however our best reception was on the day with bad weather).
I gave the cleanliness a 1 because 1) there was a plastic floss pick next to one of the beds, 2) I had accidentally knocked off the no smoking sign, and when I went to retrieve it behind the night stand my hand was greeted by a cluster of cobwebs, 3) the first time I went to get in the shower, I noticed a pleathora of hairs that were not mine-- ewe!
We shared a divider door with the room next to us and it let a lot of noise in. The worst part was that our neighbors entrance door had squeaky hinges. They were early risers so we had the pleasure of hearing that and waking up to it about 20 times between 6:00-7:00 am. I guess they had a lot to put in the car for the day. I did mention this to the front desk lady as we were leaving, but she was not as pleasant as the first lady from our arrival. She said she would put it on the maintenance list.
My other disappointment was that the indoor pool had flooded and
was a muddy mess.
This property has a lot of potential. If you are placed in the right room, at the right time, it would probably be a very enjoyable experience.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank guera0322

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Kansas
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We booked this motel thinking that staying in a cabin in the forest would be a good experience.. I can say that our room was mediocre at best. Our room was part of a three unit cabin and it was short a beside lamp on oneside of the bed. The ceiling fan made a clicking sound all night the first night so we opted to not use it the second. The shower was extremely small and bending over was not an option. I will say that the room was clean and the check in and check out were smooth. Future visits to Williams, AZ will more than likely find us at some other accomodations.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Shirley Y, Manager at Canyon Motel & RV Park, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
8/28/2013

As always, we really appreciate comments from all our guests about any issues that we can improve on. These remarks are appreciated as it helps us identify where we excel, and also areas where we may get better as our goal is to provide the finest in service and hospitality. It's also greatly appreciated when it's a fair and a balanced review like yours was. We first thank you for letting us know that somebody stole the lamp from that room. Our substitute housekeeper didn't notice it was gone. We sure wish you would have said something about the ceiling fan so we could have addressed the issue. The card in the room ask you to contact the front desk with any maintenance issues right away, however in looking at your portfolio, it shows nothing of a issue.

Our small modest motel was built back in 1939 and this was the sizes of rooms during that era. It is what it is and we can't make the room, bathroom or shower bigger. It's a solid Flagstone Historic rock buildings. We hope that everyone knows that before coming but in any event, we will do a better job of getting the word out so we don't disappoint future guests. We know we are nothing like rooms of today, but we like the fact that we are preserving this Route 66 Historic Motor Lodge.

In any event, please accept our sincere apologies for the disappointment you experienced. It only took us a few minutes to replace the stolen lamp and fix the noise from the ceiling fan. We wish we could have done it during your visit.

Shirley Young
Panama City, Florida
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Like most people, I suspect, who stay in Williams, we were headed for the Grand Canyon. Instead of staying in the middle of town, we chose the little rock cabins at this RV Park/Motel. The cabins are old and not fancy, but they were comfortable, we could sleep with the window open to enjoy the cool breeze, and the boys could play at the swing set and run around the hillside. The indoor pool could have been cleaner, but boys will swim in anything! My husband and I could wander the grounds and look for interesting birds. We actually wanted to stay in one of the caboose units, but you must have to book those more than six months in advance. We used the gas grill for supper one night and enjoyed the freedom of not having to sit in a restaurant. The only complaint was the abundant mosquitoes, which we thought that we had left behind in Florida.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
F'ville, GA
Reviewed 4 August 2013

...so our RV was parked at Grand Canyon Railway RV park but I had seen this place (Canyon RV Motel & RV Park) on the Travel Channel. I thought "why come all the way to Williams and not experience sleeping in a caboose....wild west style". You have to admit that you can stay in a "regular" hotel anytime but how many times will you have the opportunity to stay in a (historical) caboose!! The teens who were with us were not excited to stay here (they wanted to go back to the RV) but we insisted they stay here for the experience. It is a place that I am glad I experienced...if only for one time. Inside of the caboose is not fancy as their was barely a shower inside and don't get me started on the caked up dust and dirt underneath the air conditioning unit.....but for me it was all about the "wild west" experience.

I also loved waking up in the morning to a room that had a red glow to it. The curtains on the window were red...so when the sun came up, it lit up the whole room with a warm red glow.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank GeauxSaints187
Port Lavaca, Texas
Reviewed 21 July 2013

After visited the Grand Canyon National Park, I came to this small town to find a place to rest because the hotels in Grand Canyon are not cheap. This town is awesome and this hotel is fantastic! Very cool place and lots of train and cute bear model! The staff are nice and kind and people get together to cook and talk. it's not noise because this place is big enough. The room is pretty special like a home. But I have to say that the room is not big and no breakfast. Wi-fi signal is average. This town is cool in the night, I like this town and lots of Route 66 stores and signs. Want to come here again!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Fredck34
Palmer, Alaska
Reviewed 21 July 2013

This is a review of the caboose, the pool, and the staff. My family is on a one-month summer road trip vacation, and this was the 16th hotel/motel we stayed in during the month of July 2013. The cabins here seem nice (we saw the inside of one) and the RV park is a gravel parking lot, but we stayed in the over-priced caboose with the super-hard squeeky/crunchy bed. When one pays $188 the place needs more than "history" and the bragging rights of being able to sleep in a caboose to make me feel like I got my money's worth. I also expect a decent night's sleep. The caboose was not clean, there were cobwebs in various places, dust, and dirt on the floors, nor has it been renovated to be a "glamorous" experience worth the price. It's an old caboose with cheap beds, very cramped. The younger lady at the front told me that was a new mattress. If that's the case, they didn't pay for quality. The indoor pool was dirty, had large bugs floating around in it, and they didn't turn on the lights for us when it started to get dark. We were initially going to cancel our reservation, but the crabby old lady reminded us that they would charge us anyway. So, be aware of their cancellation policy. The women were crabby, seemed annoyed, and absolutely not apologetic in any way that the bed was extremely uncomfortable or that the air conditioner didn't initially work. They advertise wi-fi, but none of our devices could get it to work. The grumpy lady at the front didn't care. We met a family that stayed in one of the cute cabins and they had a nice time - the cabin seemed worth the money. If you forced me to endure the poor customer service again, I would stay in one of the cabins. They are cheaper and more appropriately priced.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the $188 caboose!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank jmakak
8/4/2013

We agree that constructive criticism calls for our immediate follow-up action and a redoubling of our efforts to get it right. Beneficial comments will certainly help us to improve the process. As always, we really appreciate comments from all our guests about any issues that we can improve on. These remarks are appreciated as it helps us identify where we excel, and also areas where we may get better as our goal is to provide the finest in service and hospitality. It's also greatly appreciated when it's a fair and a balanced review. However we take issue that if someone has nothing at all positive to say, it raises a red flag. In the Motel, we understand that all people like different mattresses. Some like soft, some medium, some firm or super firm. We know we can’t satisfy everyone so we turn to our Serta Advisor as to what is the best for the majority. Our inventory file shows this Caboose was changed out in Feb of 2012 and it wasn’t a cheap mattress.
We have put your compliant in that housekeeper’s folder and she also is being documented for leaving the room in the disgusting manor you described. This is very unfortunate for her because this is her first ever complaint on her spotless record. Her file was clean. In addition, her supervisor records for the day after you left shows it was inspected and signed off on. The Maintenance team also checked the AC unit which worked perfectly and had no issues.
I don’t think it is fair blaming us for the CenturyLink WIFI service failure that we pay for, and then turn around and give it to our guests for FREE. It is something that we can’t control. It’s like going to somebody’s home for dinner and then you blame the homeowner for the electricity going out in your entire city. In any event, I was very perplexed when I read the front desk notes in the portfolio that you were upset when you called from a competitor hotel (Big Chain) here in town the night before your reservation to try and cancel. Over a month before at your request we reserved that Caboose strictly for you & your family. During the month and days following, we consistently turned down other potential guest requests, because we gave our word to you that it was for you. On the phone you asked if the AC in the Caboose worked because you had been on the road over twenty days and everyplace you stayed either it didn’t work or it was too noisy. In reviewing the camera system, your partner (husband) was absolutely delightful and couldn’t have been more pleasant with the front desk girls and the kids absolutely loved the pool. So, after reading your review & your portfolio notes, it gives me a better understand of things.

Our small modest independent property staff members work very hard to do it right everyday. We compete daily against Big Corporations and Chains and constantly strive to contend and struggle to survive as a small business and we do it with great hospitality skills. It is all of our goals to have all of our visitors leave happy.
In any event, please accept our sincere apologies for the disappointment you experienced. Your comments are of great concern to us. I have also shared your constructive feedback with our very friendly front desk team so they are aware of reviews like this. I hope that you will take some comfort in knowing that all customer comments are taken seriously, and that your comments have been reviewed and addressed.

Shirley Young

Lake Havasu
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We spent a very enjoyable get away at the Canyon Motel and EV Park. We were in our travel trailer and another couple with us were in one of the cabins. We enjoyed full hook ups, level open spaces and great views. It was a perfect quite, cool and relaxing trip. The owners and staff were more than accommodating. The whole place was clean and well kept. The pool was indoors and very relaxing. The town of Williams was very quaint, with lovely shops and great restaurants. The owners were very helpful in pointing out local sites to see and things to do. Next time we go we are definitely staying there and plan on a train ride to the Grand Canyon. I would highly recommend you stay here if your in the area or planning a trip to the Grand Canyon.

Room Tip: We were in our RV and the further up the hill the better the view.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends