“Tatty and extremely rude owners” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Canyon Gateway Inn

Grand Canyon Gateway Inn
Ranked #29 of 30 Hotels in Williams
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Tatty and extremely rude owners”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

I spent last night (3/1/2012) at this motel. I asked to see a room and, although tired and a bit tatty, the price of $41 including taxes and continental breakfast seemed reasonable value for money. The bed seemed to have a new mattress and the bed linen was clean, as was the bathroom. I hadn't checked Tripadvisor but had used a Rodeway Inn for one night in Flagstaff and again, a little tired and tatty, offered good value for money and the owners were polite and helpful.
I asked for a room further away from the road and was given a non-smoking room which had a faint smell of stale smoke. I advised the owner of this and I was put into the original room I was offered.
I had a reasonable nights sleep, no bed bugs that I could see or feel. Although the room heater was noisy and kept turning on and off once thermostat temperature was reached - which did disturb me a little.
The breakfast was served in the small and tatty lobby with only one chair for guests. Very basic but I thought you couldn't expect much more for the price.
I was reasonably content with my stay until during my breakfast the owner's (I assume him to be the owner) father appeared and ordered me to my room. I say ordered, his exact words were "go to room now" while pointing at the door, said in a very loud and seemingly angry manner. He then went back inside. I was aware that breakfast finished at 9 am, so I checked my watch and it was 8.45 am.
I was a bit taken aback and bemused. I didn't go back to my room as I thought that this was an unreasonable request.
The "owners" (?) father appeared again 5 minutes later and I asked him quite reasonably why he had been rude to me? He appeared not to understand me and called his son. I explained to him what had happened in a very reasonable manner and told him that it was good manners to ask someone to do something "with a please and thankyou" and instead of apologising he smiled and told me "this is America, we don't use please and thankyou". Following this I left the lobby and went to my room to pack and leave.
In order to check out you have to return the key card to the lobby. I decided to complain again to the "owner" while doing this. I told him that I had considered staying another night, as although the room was tatty, it represented value for money. But due to the behaviour of his father and his lack of apology I had decided not to. I advised him that I was a paying guest and should not be spoken to in that way and that he should keep his father away from guests in future. I also advised him that I was considering writing a negative review on Tripadvisor. He responded by telling me never to return to his motel again (as if I would?) and that he was going to make a complaint about me being rude to him and was going to blacklist me (these were not his exact words but words to effect) from every motel in town (although I am unsure how he was going to do this but pointed at his computer). I left the lobby and he followed me shouting abuse.
The lesson learnt is that I will always check Tripadvisor before turning up in a new town.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Patrick K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

We booked our hotel at $80.00 a night plus taxes, from hotels.com for 5 adults in a 2 room with 2 queens and 1 king.The room smelled.The heater "clanked" all night, and we got bitten by bed bugs, the internet would not work and the bathroom door would not shut !! But, that's really not the worst of it. When we checked out they charged us $134.95 and said it was extra for 5 adults. They never mentioned anything about extra charges when we checked in !! When we told them it was suppose to be $80.00 and we were not told by them it would be more, they said they can charge anything they want to....it was their right to do so, regardless of what hotels.com said.They told my husband to "shut up, when he questioned the chargers or they would call the police !! We told them it would be a really good idea to call them and they then backed down.They threatened us and told us to get off the property. Their "family" surrounded us screaming at us !! I don't know what they were saying but it wasn't English.There was no way they were going to try and make any of this any better. TERRIBLE HOTEL....don't stay here !!! Hotels.com should TERMINATE their affiliation with them.

Room Tip: stayed in room 107///bottom corner unit.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank sdmom129

Travellers are raving about these Williams hotels

Nixa, Missouri, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

The bed was like sleeping on concrete, was hurting all over the next morning. Remote didnt work. Very cheap rooms, needs whole new makeover. needs new beds too!!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hope S
switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

Luckely we booked it just for one night. We wouldn^t stay there for another night, thanks to the bed bugs biting us the night. Next morning there was blood-points on the bedsheets and we also saw two of the bed bugs running around. I never was so shocked about a place to stay than there. We told the deskman about the bed bugs and he just answered that he gad to use some spray?
Summery: Discusting place to stay. It^s really much better to pay a little bit more at another place than to stay in this motel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank christof-mugi
Santa Fe
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL. it is old, outdated, smells, and the worse is I got bed bug bites. Me and my children!! I thought I booked the other hotel that came with free breakfast. This is the worst hotel I ever stayed at, ever! The owner of the hotel needs to break out some money and bring up to date, and get an exterminator out there.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank jjnm
Hot Springs, Arkansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2011

This Rodeway Inn at 334 East Rt 66 is exactly as described in previous reviews-- a 50's style, Mom and Pop motel. The old heater in the wall put out adequate heat, but did smell and was hard to set for a comfortable sleeping temperature. Two loud trains disturbed my sleep, but I did not hear any road noise. Best shower in 3 nights of hotel stays, though! Clean enough. Muffins, danish and cereal in small front lobby in am to carry back to your room. Nice manager.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2011

This motel, under relatively new management, is a real bargain if you're passiing through Williams on I-40/Rte 66. It's not luxurious, but the room and bathroom were spotless, the bed was comfortable, and they have free wi-fi -- all for under $35 a night. Also, it was quiet. A modest continental breakfast is available in the morning. The property evidently sustained some damage from severe winter weather, and some of the rooms are in need of repair. As long as the East Indian gentleman and his wife remain as managers, you can be assured of a warm welcome and clean, if basic, accommodations. This is a real bargain, in this town.

Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple