“Charged me and I didn't even stay...”

Americas Best Value Inn - Williams / Grand Canyon
Ranked #18 of 30 Hotels in Williams
“Charged me and I didn't even stay...”
Reviewed 26 June 2009

We booked a stay at this hotel over the internet. When we pulled into the parking lot I became very worried. The hotel's exterior was very rundown and old. However, I thought I would give it the benefit of the doubt. I looked in a few rooms that were being cleaned and decided this was not a sanitary place to stay. The hotel lobby smelled of urine and the rooms were very old and nasty. We did not speak to the clerk at this time. I contacted Choice Hotels and asked to cancel the reservation. They contacted the hotel and the desk clerk said she was unable to cancel because it was inside the 24 hour cancellation (and she did not know how to cancel). We returned to the lobby and the clerk was extremely rude. We ask to at least see a room that had been cleaned and she said she could not show us a room until 3:00 and only after we checked in. . I ask to speak to the manager and she said they were not there. I ask her to contact them and she said she did not know the number.We left and never return. Our credit card was still charged, even though we never set foot in the room. I filed a complaint with Choice Hotels and they said the hotel manager still refused to offer a credit. DO NOT BOOK A STAY AT THIS HOTEL

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
gm_az079, manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Williams / Grand Canyon, responded to this review, 27 June 2009
Clean rooms and office. Getting repainted. Nice staff. 24 hr cancell policy. If u have other plans dont get upset at the motel or staff.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Silicon Valley, CA
Reviewed 24 April 2009

Old route 66 motel that has been refurbished. Flat screen HDTVs, location, breakfast and location overcome its shortfalls. the rooms are old, with old heaters and A/Cs, but are comfortable. Breakfast of eggs, sausage, waffles, cereal very nice.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
Iowa
Reviewed 26 February 2009

We checked in and were told where our room was..we waded through 4 inches of un-shoveled snow, which tracked into our room, to find the wall furnace not working. They came and lit that and my husband went to ask them to please shovel a path so we did not track any more snow into the room. I thought I would use the toilet while he was gone and when I lifted the lid discovered the water in the bowl was ice...as was the tank and there was no water at the sink.
We were moved to another room in which the wall furnace worked and the water was not frozen, but...we were either cold or hot depending on whether the furnace was running. The bathroom never did get warm so we forgot about showering.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Williams hotels

Cheshire,CT
Reviewed 7 December 2008

Was in the room one minute. Toilet didn't work. The manager said it was the chain and appeared he expected me to fix it. He did come and "fix" it. NOT. No way was that toilet going to work. I Had a look at the shower and the rest of the room and said forget it. The shower was disgusting and the room was ancient looking and freezing. Don't go by the pictures online. I don't know where those nicely painted rooms are. are you kidding me they are drab and OLD!!! I went back to say the toilet still doesn't work and that I wasn't staying and the manager got all bent out of shape. Mind you I was in the room maximum of 5 minutes. He made like he didn't know how to credit my card. And then gave me a receipt that had neither the motels name or address on it and no where did it say a credit to my card just that the reservation was cancelled. I wanted something that had that info on it. He became rude and literally"waved me out of the place" and told me to go down the street for another place. He also wanted $5 to "clean" the room that I walked in and out of. DO NOT STAY HERE! the pictures online are totally misleading. I made a complaint to Econo Lodge.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the rude manager
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank valicarol
gm_az079, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Williams / Grand Canyon, responded to this review, 9 December 2008
So sorry u had a bad experience, We fixed the toilet, offered another room and then cancelled the reservation upon your request. The credit card was not charged so no receipt is available since only an authorization was obtained. We did however give u a letter stating cancelation and number.
Visalia California
Reviewed 24 November 2008

Stayed here one night on the way to Grand Canyon. Next time we will plan more time at Williams, a lot to do and see there.
The Motel was excellent, clean, quite and very friendly staff. A perfect stop over when traveling I-40 Thur North Central Arizona. Recommend it highly.

• Liked — Clean room, friendly helpful staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Diego,CA.
Reviewed 16 October 2008

Basically, The small "kings" room was acceptable and recently refurnished. But the shower space in the bathroom was extremely tiny.
Breakfast there was just basic (tea, coffee, toast ,bagels, fruit jelly and mini donuts.). I guess you could find something better for the same price in the neighbourhood, since there are many motels in that street.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Netherlands
Reviewed 18 May 2008

Nice staff, room was clean and recently refurnished. however, the beds were very uncomfortable!
It was very noisy, more than we expected it to be (after staying in various motels alike) Bathroom is tiny.
For breakfast there was tea, coffee, hot chocolate, toast and bagels, fruit jelly and some really bad mini donuts. I guess you could find something better for the same price in the neighbourhood, since there are many motels in this street.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple