“Awful management, bad experience”

Howard Johnson Express Inn - Williams
Ranked #15 of 30 Hotels in Williams
New York City, New York
“Awful management, bad experience”
Reviewed 4 October 2011

To be fair, I didn't even stay. My wife and I arrived and were pretty appalled at the neighborhood and the dinginess of the hotel. Since there is no street view to see it, it's on a side road off I-40 across from a used ATV lot.

However, it's the management that made this terrible. After deciding not to stay, I asked the attending clerk about canceling the second night. I was a hotel Comptroller so I understand no-show reservations and had no problem with the 1 night charge. The clerk says he can't access the system and that I have to speak to the GM in the morning.

When I call the GM, Mr. Patel, he informs me that I did not make it inside the 24-hour cancellation (because I had to wait until the next day) and after protesting, he re-states that I should have cancelled the day before (which his own clerk wouldn't do). When I cut him off to make ask him something, he tells me to "shut up and let him finish," at which point he just says the same thing. After the second time, I told him that if he needed the money so bad he could keep it, that I would rather just let other people know what terrible service they offered and that I would never recommend a place that tricked people by refusing to cancel the second day despite 24-hour notice.

It is well worth it to stay in Flagstaff at a good hotel and take the nice drive up US180 to the Grand Canyon than to stay in a rudely staffed dump like this one.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mat R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Korean first
SOUTHAMPTON
Reviewed 12 September 2011

where do you start, we were staying in the usa for 4 weeks and this i'm sorry to say was the worst hotel i have ever had the pleasure. after a hot and sticky 5.5hrs drive we were all looking forward to a nice dip in the pool. it was green reception claims it was ok to swim in and just had a problem with the towns water!!! well my pool at home you keep filled all the time so no towns water is going to change that more like lack of maintenance/chemicals . with all the walking you do on holidays like this you need a good night sleep to recharge your batteries ready for the next days heat and hiking. i woke up feeling worse than before bad back jesus was on pain killers for the next couple of days. and to finish off breakfast room was tiny 4 table to serve over 50 rooms!!!!! garbage sort your self out its a disgrace

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Williams hotels

Bullhead City, Arizona
Reviewed 27 August 2011

This was supposed to be a family trip to the Grand Canyon. After a night at this hotel, we were exhausted. The beds were extremely uncomfortable, It was not just two 60 year olds backs. My 15 year old granddaughter's back even hurt from sleeping on that bed. A good night's sleep, waking refreshed and ready to have a good time at the Grand Canyon was definately not what we experienced.Lock did not function on connecting room. We tried to lock it. It did not work. The people in the other room attempted to lock their side, unsuccessfully.
When we went to the main building for the free cont. breakfast, there were only 4-5 tables for guests to use and the small, unaccomodating dining area was packed with people attempting to plate breakfast and sit somewhere. Most were just coming in and leaving without breakfast due to the lack of space. It was elbow to elbow. We left and went to a local restaurant. Tired, achy and unfed. This hotel is a 0 on a 0-10 scale. NEVER STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Clovis, California
Reviewed 27 August 2011

This is an old, run down hotel and I would not recommend it for bringing along your spouse or family. It is, on the other hand, quite sufficient for a single male traveling in a truck or on a motorcycle. The only thing that really bothered me on this stay is that after I checked in, the clerk informed me that the tap water was contaminated and completely un-useable. I had to buy bottled water from a nearby store to use for all water uses. Later I learned from the City of Williams that the water had been that way for weeks due to a broken pump. They might have mentioned that when I made my reservation.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Tim E
Reviewed 24 August 2011

We stayed here for one horrible night on our way to Colorado. At check in, the man at the counter asked for a major credit card which is standard. I gave him my card and while I asked him the early checkout info he ran my card and charged it for the room. He handed me a receipt that said "NO REFUNDS" and said, " You pay now. Not in the morning." After receiving payment in full for the room, he Then he told me we couldn't drink any water at the hotel because it was contaminated. He said we could brush teeth and shower in it but absolutely no drinking it. Also the indoor pool was green because he just put chemicals in it to "shock it". I know pools get "shocked "because algea has grown in it, not the other way around. Slot of great information to recieve after your card has been charged & they won't give you your money back. When we got to our room, I know why the have established a no refund/ pay before you have a chance to get the hell outa there policy. There was blood stains on one of the pillows and cigarette burns in blanket. I was truly worried we were going to get bedbugs! We were in such a hurry to get outta there we forgot our sons Teddy bear and a pillow. We called from the from the road & talked to someone who said they would mail it to the address on the credit card. As of 2 weeks later still no bear and pillow and everytime I call to find out when or if it was sent nobody there has any information. They say to call back and they refuse to take a message and call me back. Not only would I never stay there again for any reason, I would never stay at ANY Howard Johnson in the USA.

• Stayed August 2011
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2011

This was not a pleasant experience. Grotty hotel, horrible rooms, even worse bathrooms, awful night's sleep. Cheap, yes, but not worth the saving. Never again.

Breakfast area is big enough for about 6 people to eat, in a grotty lobby area.

And (common to too many hotels we stayed in): horrible polystyrene (styrofoam) plates, cups and plastic cutlery. Not only unpleasant to use, but what about the tons of rubbish they generate? Very American, unfortunately...

The hotel had a problem with the water supply, and we were told not to drink it. When asked if we could use the filtered water in the drinks machine, we were told we could buy water in the nearby gas station!

Williams is a cool town, though. This hotel is not. Avoid. Really, avoid.

• Stayed August 2011
Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2011

we stayed here to go to the grand canyon , never been here before it was a good clean small hotel good pool indoor with a spa , good parking and a great breakfast included in the price , found the staff good and egar to help , we had one small problem the water in the hotel was brown a problem with the local water supply. not their fault just a short walk to the town overall i think it is a good stop over point and value for money

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family