“What you would expect!”

Howard Johnson Express Inn - Williams
Ranked #17 of 30 Hotels in Williams
Reviewed 29 May 2012

If you're just looking for a hotel without paying astronomical prices within the Grand Canyon national Park area, this hotel is ideal. About an hours drive from the parks outskirts, it is just a standard hotel.

Internet wasn't working when we were there and the guy behind the desk was pretty clueless, so we ended up using McDonald's free WiFi just across the street. There was a pool but it was full of rowdy kids so we didn't stay very long!

About 10 minutes from a supermarket in Williams if you want to stock up with food, and is literally just a 20 second drive from the I40 so you can get on with your journey with no problems.

Would stay again, for convenience and value!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Express Inn - Williams

Reviewed 21 May 2012

I've stayed here twice now several years apart. Both times the sleep was terrible. They have rubber/plastic covers over their mattresses. I guess its to help keep them clean but it helps their guests listen to themselves toss and turn all night. Extremely uncomfortable and makes for a terrible nights sleep. Breakfast is two choices of cold cereal, waffles and some sad looking pastries. The oranges juice tastes more like Tang than real juice. They must not air condition the hotel itself because the lobby and hallways were hot and the temp outside was only in the low 80's. I had to put the air conditioner in my room on 68 or 70 just to get it comfortable. The only good thing I can come up with is this place is walking distance to downtown and all the things to do down there.

Room Tip: There isn't one
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 May 2012

My husband and I met friends to see the Grand Canyon. I origionally made the reservation for four nights but twenty minutes later realized we would only be there for three nights. When I called to cancel the fourth night twenty minutes later, a woman who couldn't understand English answered the phone. Finally a gentleman got on the phone and I cancelled the extra night. We had made these reservations about 45 days in advance to our trip. Upon check-in, the man wanted to confirm that we were staying 4 nights and I told him no, it was three nights. He told us that we would be charged for the 4th night regardless. I told him that I had canceled the fourth night and he told us that they had a no cancelation policy and would be charged. I wasn't happy at all with this but there wasn't anything other than putting it on here that I could do.
The rooms were out-dated but clean. There is NO elevator and the friends we were with and us, had large suitcases since this was a 10 day trip overall. Not to mention the back surgery one of our friends had recently! There were only about four or five small tables for guests to eat breakfast from and the area was awfully hot!! No one came to clean off the tables when other guests finished their meal - you had to do that yourself. Our room was on the second floor and we had a perfect view into the window of a rental or house next door. We had to keep the curtains closed the whole time we were there. All vending and ice was on the first floor. When I made the reservation, I requested a room with a king size bed but were we're put in a room with two doubles.
I would only stay here if there were no other rooms available in Williams. And I guess this could be a possibility - other than having clean rooms, this hotel didn't have much going for it.

Room Tip: First floor.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2012

Yes the rooms are clean. Their web site advertises recently renovated rooms...well thry must have picked up furnishings from another hotel that got rid of its 1985 decor. The lobby/breakfast area is unbelievably hot. The breakfast is a carb-lovers dream.not a piece of fruit or yogurt to be found. The clerk at the front desk was very nice & itis in a convenient location but I wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I was a little worried about this hotel because of the other members reviews. i decided to go in favor of the positive reviews and i was not disappointed. the Hotel is not a newly modern furnished hotel but everything in the room i stayed in (room 125) matched and functioned perfectly. the bed was firm and comfortable and the in room coffee machine and fridge were a pleasant surprise and much needed after riding my motorcycle in from Albuquerque NM, i have been on the road for a week (from Fort Myers, FL) now and have stayed in fancy hotels ( HI Express Dallas,) and 1 dive (Budget Inn Roswell NM), this is a definite 8.9 in a scale of 1-10. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Rock R
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Depending on your driving and time of the day it's between 50 minutes and 1 hr 15 minutes to the Grand Canyon. Our room was not too big but enough. Had a coffee maker with coffee and tea and small fridge. There is a very small swimming pool and jacuzzi, which is good after hours of walking along Grand Canyon. Very polite and helpful receptionist. Unfortunately only fast food restaurants are in a walking distance from the hotel. We found a family restaurant Denny's in Williams (next exit off the highway). Overall good value.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2012

We stayed one night in the Howard Johnson in Williams; we were in town to see the Grand Canyon. Our room was clean, comfortable and spacious with a nice ensuite bathroom. The breakfast was included which was nice. The staff were very helpful and welcoming. The hotel is just a short walk into the town and all facilities. I'd stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends