“Little gem in the desert”

Quality Inn Navajo Nation Capital
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Window Rock
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We spent two nights in July at this little gem. Robyn, Teresa and Mallory were great at the front desk, welcoming us and helping with anything we needed. Ephraim, Kim and Tommy were our servers in the Dineh Restaurant and they made our dining experience very enjoyable with their great service and smiles. That's what I focus on most - everyone was courteous, friendly, responsive to any question or request we had. The hotel facitlies and rooms were very nice, but it is definitely an older hotel with older fixtures. I enjoyed the flute music outside our door coming from a courtyard below. Great breakfast offerings; four pillows per bed. The bathroom with tub & toilet is a small room, but the vanity area is spacious with large counters and a helpful shelf under the clothes hanging area. Microwave, fridge, TV, coffeepot, ironing board - all included. The most enjoyable part of our visit, however, was talking and visiting with the people there.

Room Tip: Rooms on east side quieter as they are farthest from street
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Mattie B, Admin. Assist. at Quality Inn Navajo Nation Capital, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2017

Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to rate and review your stay at Quality Inn Navajo Nation Capital back in 2013. Your review is very thoughtful and thorough. We are delighted you enjoyed your accommodations, found everything clean and the staff friendly and the food good!

Reviewed 7 July 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for three nights in early July 2013. The room was clean and everything was fine, except the so-called "wireless high-speed Internet access". The Quality Inn is the only hotel in town, so they have the market cornered, but I have mixed feelings about the facility.

Since we are Choice Privileges members and made advanced reservations, we got a great room rate that included hot breakfast each morning. It's not the typical breakfast buffet that most motels have these days, but you get your pick of three items from the breakfast menu in the hotel restaurant - eggs and sausage, or oatmeal, or biscuits and gravy. Each option comes with coffee or tea, and a side of toast, fry bread, fruit, or hash browns. I tried them all, and each of the three breakfast options is better than almost any breakfast buffet. And the restaurant service was good, too.

The room was nice, and had a TV, a small area for hanging clothes, air conditioning, a small refrigerator, and a nice bathroom. The bed was firm and comfortable. We occasionally heard noise from the guest upstairs from us or adjacent, but most of the time it wasn't a problem at all.

The hotel also has a small gift shop, and coin-operated laundry. There is no swimming pool, but that's fine with me. There's plenty of convenient parking, an ATM, and a choice of two or three newspapers. We got good service from all the front desk staff, but a young woman named Mallory was particularly helpful and friendly.

Now for the bad: The hotel claims to have "wireless high-speed" internet. However, it only works in about half the rooms, from what I could tell. It didn't work in our room, because the signal didn't reach that far. When I mentioned this at the front desk the night we checked in, they loaned me a "range extender" which is a wireless bridge that you can plug into your laptop with an ethernet cable. But even that didn't work, I think because the signal was so bad in our room. Being an IT professional who was going to stay here three nights, I did a bit of research into this.

First, during our stay I overheard two other groups complain to the staff about the WiFi not working. So the hotel management clearly is aware there is a problem. When I talked to the manager at checkout, she said they're looking into upgrading the system, but are still evaluating their options.

Second, I found that no place in the hotel area had a really strong signal. Yes, I geeked out and gathered S/N metrics at various points on the property, to try to find where their access points are really located. In one location, they have an access point for their public WiFi set to use the same channel as another access point for another network. And the other AP is stronger, so that's a dumb design. The best signal was in the lobby area or the restaurant. But even there, the connection was poor (my network stumbler reported a signal strength of 30%), the speed was bad, and the signal would completely fail randomly every 10 or 15 minutes.

So I finally asked to use the Business Center, which had a wired ethernet connection. This would give the best possible reliability and speed, I figured. It was in fact reliable, and didn't drop me once. But the speed even there was abysmal. I ran the old standby speedtest.net from my laptop plugged directly into the network switch. Sure I was sharing the hotel's uplink with a dozen other people, in theory, but here are the metrics I got: 326 ms ping / 0.44 Mbps download / 0.20 Mbps upload. I waited a while and ran the test again, to see how much variability there was, and got almost identical results. So I think those numbers are accurate.

Even in the best case scenario of using the wired connection, this could hardly be called "high speed internet". And given the spotty and unreliable wireless coverage, nobody could get anything close to best case except the one person using the Business Center room. Given the latency and speed, I wonder if they're using an entry-level satellite internet service for the whole hotel.

For comparison, the free WiFi at the McDonald's restaurant down the street was much, much better. So it's not the case that there isn't any good internet possible in Window Rock. It's just that Quality Inn has chosen not to provide it. If you really want or need to do any work online, I recommend taking your laptop down the road and enjoying a green chile cheeseburger at McD's.

Room Tip: There's no elevator, so if you can't carry your luggage up stairs, get a room on the first f...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ToddBradley
Teresa M, General Manager at Quality Inn Navajo Nation Capital, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Thank you for providing your valuable feedback. We look at all reviews to better enhance our guest experience. Due to your review, we have upgraded our Internet to better service our guests, because we know that this is a very important feature. I invite you to stay with us again, next time you visit Window Rock. Please call me directly and it will be my pleasure to offer you a room upgrade for your next visit.

Reviewed 25 June 2013

We just had a phenomenal tour of the wonderful Canyon de Chelly. The tour guide was excellent, he knew the place in and out and was very good about letting me out to get photos. He also patiently answered all my questions about the fascinating Navajo people. The vehicle was good, certainly more than sufficient for this kind of activity. Canyon de Chelly tours can be recommended!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to rate and review your stay at Quality Inn Navajo Nation Capital back in 2013. We are delighted you enjoyed your tour of Canyon De Chelly.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed there for a couple of days recently and were very pleased with our experience. This is a pretty basic motel so don't expect anything fancy. The rooms were clean, the beds comfortable and the staff as nice and attentive as they come. The breakfast was very good and included in the price. As for roadside motels, they don't get much better. I can certainly recommend this one for everyone passing through Window Rock.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear Gustatorius T,

We appreciate you taking the time to rate and review your stay at Quality Inn Navajo Nation Capital back in 2013. We are delighted you enjoyed your accommodations, found everything clean and the staff friendly and the food good!

Reviewed 18 June 2013

As this was the only hotel in the vicinity, we don't have a choice of hotel to choose as it was too long to drive to our destination without rest.

The frontage of the hotel was quite decent looking, but when we drove around to the back which is closer to our room, I was shocked with how rundown the exterior of the hotel looks. Good thing the room was not as rundown as the exterior, but the room was cramped and dimly lit with 2 queen size bed. The toilet that is quite small that we have problem closing the door when using the toilet bowl.

The breakfast was quite nice as our server was friendly and helpful. The hashbrown was really nice for the hot breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Regards,

Reviewed 14 June 2013

If you want a friendly, cross- cultural experience, in a beautiful setting, then this is it. This was the setting for a Navajo Weaving class ( check it out at Weaving in Beauty) and it was delightful. The hotel is not fancy, but very clean, comfortable and quiet. It is close to a number of historic sites such as Chaco Canyon and is in the heart of trading posts areas such as Hubbell. The scenery in the area is amazing. The staff is very helpful and the on- site dining room features both southwest and Navajo meals. One downside is the inconsistent Internet access, but they have a business center which is hard wired and very accessible. This has been a great experience. Remember that this hotel on the Navajo reservation and those laws may be different from the rest of Arizona. No alcohol is served in the hotel.

Room Tip: We were located on the back side of the hotel and had views of amazing rocks and sunrise.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear DaisyJune52,

We appreciate you taking the time to rate and review your stay at Quality Inn Navajo Nation Capital back in 2013. We are delighted you enjoyed your accommodations, found everything clean, the staff friendly, the food good and the surrounding area beautiful.

Reviewed 6 June 2013

Not that there is much choice in Window Rock accommodation-wise, but the Quality Inn was just fine. Arrived late in the evening after an all day meeting and then a three-plus hour drive. Desk clerk was welcoming, quick with the check-in and keys and breakfast meal tickets.

Exterior entrances to all of the rooms - a plus for access, a minus for being able to open windows. Reminded me of an older Holiday Inn. Room was decently furnished with nice bathroom. Good mattress. Decent wifi. Don't recall any noise between rooms, though I don't think I had any immediate neighbors.

The breakfast coupon entitled you to one of three set breakfasts, though the waitstaff was pretty flexible on how you composed your breakfast. Quick service, good food.

Room Tip: Would recommend second floor to minimize sounds of footsteps from room above. Note that there is no...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to rate and review your stay at Quality Inn Navajo Nation Capital back in 2013. We are delighted you enjoyed your accommodations, found everything clean, the staff friendly and the food good!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Window Rock
Sleep Inn
Sleep Inn
#10 of 35 in Gallup
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Gallup East

Been to Quality Inn Navajo Nation Capital? Share your experiences!