“Nice stay in beautiful country”

Quality Inn Navajo Nation Capital
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Window Rock
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

Friendly staff allowed an early check-in. Nice room with southwest charm, spartan but clean. Hot continental breakfast but no buffet. Two levels and no elevator, so try and get the ground floor.

I would recommend this place to my friends.

• Stayed: September 2013
Mattie B, Admin. Assist. at Quality Inn Navajo Nation Capital, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2017

Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to rate and review your stay at Quality Inn Navajo Nation Capital back in 2013. We are delighted you enjoyed your accommodations, found everything clean and the staff friendly and the food good!

Reviewed 26 August 2013

We stayed here one night on a tour of the 4 Corners Area. The hotel staff was super friendly and we got breakfast vouchers to eat breakfast in the hotel restaurant. The room was very clean and neat. We weren't expecting a fridge and microwave, but they were both in our room. The Navajo police patrolled the parking lot on a regular basis, so there was so issue with safety. We even got two bags of candy upon checkout and they even offered us a newspaper to take if we wanted one. I would definitley stay here again & reccomend it to anyone traveling through the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 August 2013

There are only 2 choices in the area the Quality inn and the Navajo Inn and Suites in St Michaels (3 miles away).
I just stayed at both of them on a recient trip and here is the summary and my comparision of the two.
I believe The Quality Inn is much better for the following reasons.. The Navajo Inn does not offer breakfast of any kind --Although it says on the internet that they have a continental breakfast-- whereas the Quality Inn has a very nice breakfast which by itself makes up the nearly $20 addition in price for a room--especially if two persons are traveling. The Q I is cleaner, looks newer(no chiped paint and plaster in the rooms) than the Navajo Inn and would seem to be better mantained over all. Also the Staff at the Q I was more friendly and helpful whereas the recetionist was eating a sandwich at the desk when I arrived at the Navajo Inn. Sure the Navajo Inn has a swimming pool which might be very nice for the kids but i will probably spend the extra money for a nicer place with a good breakfast.
I would stay at the Q I---I think you will be happier overall unless you are on a very tight budget.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 2 August 2013

We spent two nights in July at this little gem. Robyn, Teresa and Mallory were great at the front desk, welcoming us and helping with anything we needed. Ephraim, Kim and Tommy were our servers in the Dineh Restaurant and they made our dining experience very enjoyable with their great service and smiles. That's what I focus on most - everyone was courteous, friendly, responsive to any question or request we had. The hotel facitlies and rooms were very nice, but it is definitely an older hotel with older fixtures. I enjoyed the flute music outside our door coming from a courtyard below. Great breakfast offerings; four pillows per bed. The bathroom with tub & toilet is a small room, but the vanity area is spacious with large counters and a helpful shelf under the clothes hanging area. Microwave, fridge, TV, coffeepot, ironing board - all included. The most enjoyable part of our visit, however, was talking and visiting with the people there.

Room Tip: Rooms on east side quieter as they are farthest from street
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to rate and review your stay at Quality Inn Navajo Nation Capital back in 2013. Your review is very thoughtful and thorough. We are delighted you enjoyed your accommodations, found everything clean and the staff friendly and the food good!

Reviewed 7 July 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for three nights in early July 2013. The room was clean and everything was fine, except the so-called "wireless high-speed Internet access". The Quality Inn is the only hotel in town, so they have the market cornered, but I have mixed feelings about the facility.

Since we are Choice Privileges members and made advanced reservations, we got a great room rate that included hot breakfast each morning. It's not the typical breakfast buffet that most motels have these days, but you get your pick of three items from the breakfast menu in the hotel restaurant - eggs and sausage, or oatmeal, or biscuits and gravy. Each option comes with coffee or tea, and a side of toast, fry bread, fruit, or hash browns. I tried them all, and each of the three breakfast options is better than almost any breakfast buffet. And the restaurant service was good, too.

The room was nice, and had a TV, a small area for hanging clothes, air conditioning, a small refrigerator, and a nice bathroom. The bed was firm and comfortable. We occasionally heard noise from the guest upstairs from us or adjacent, but most of the time it wasn't a problem at all.

The hotel also has a small gift shop, and coin-operated laundry. There is no swimming pool, but that's fine with me. There's plenty of convenient parking, an ATM, and a choice of two or three newspapers. We got good service from all the front desk staff, but a young woman named Mallory was particularly helpful and friendly.

Now for the bad: The hotel claims to have "wireless high-speed" internet. However, it only works in about half the rooms, from what I could tell. It didn't work in our room, because the signal didn't reach that far. When I mentioned this at the front desk the night we checked in, they loaned me a "range extender" which is a wireless bridge that you can plug into your laptop with an ethernet cable. But even that didn't work, I think because the signal was so bad in our room. Being an IT professional who was going to stay here three nights, I did a bit of research into this.

First, during our stay I overheard two other groups complain to the staff about the WiFi not working. So the hotel management clearly is aware there is a problem. When I talked to the manager at checkout, she said they're looking into upgrading the system, but are still evaluating their options.

Second, I found that no place in the hotel area had a really strong signal. Yes, I geeked out and gathered S/N metrics at various points on the property, to try to find where their access points are really located. In one location, they have an access point for their public WiFi set to use the same channel as another access point for another network. And the other AP is stronger, so that's a dumb design. The best signal was in the lobby area or the restaurant. But even there, the connection was poor (my network stumbler reported a signal strength of 30%), the speed was bad, and the signal would completely fail randomly every 10 or 15 minutes.

So I finally asked to use the Business Center, which had a wired ethernet connection. This would give the best possible reliability and speed, I figured. It was in fact reliable, and didn't drop me once. But the speed even there was abysmal. I ran the old standby speedtest.net from my laptop plugged directly into the network switch. Sure I was sharing the hotel's uplink with a dozen other people, in theory, but here are the metrics I got: 326 ms ping / 0.44 Mbps download / 0.20 Mbps upload. I waited a while and ran the test again, to see how much variability there was, and got almost identical results. So I think those numbers are accurate.

Even in the best case scenario of using the wired connection, this could hardly be called "high speed internet". And given the spotty and unreliable wireless coverage, nobody could get anything close to best case except the one person using the Business Center room. Given the latency and speed, I wonder if they're using an entry-level satellite internet service for the whole hotel.

For comparison, the free WiFi at the McDonald's restaurant down the street was much, much better. So it's not the case that there isn't any good internet possible in Window Rock. It's just that Quality Inn has chosen not to provide it. If you really want or need to do any work online, I recommend taking your laptop down the road and enjoying a green chile cheeseburger at McD's.

Room Tip: There's no elevator, so if you can't carry your luggage up stairs, get a room on the first f...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ToddBradley
Teresa M, General Manager at Quality Inn Navajo Nation Capital, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Thank you for providing your valuable feedback. We look at all reviews to better enhance our guest experience. Due to your review, we have upgraded our Internet to better service our guests, because we know that this is a very important feature. I invite you to stay with us again, next time you visit Window Rock. Please call me directly and it will be my pleasure to offer you a room upgrade for your next visit.

Reviewed 25 June 2013

We just had a phenomenal tour of the wonderful Canyon de Chelly. The tour guide was excellent, he knew the place in and out and was very good about letting me out to get photos. He also patiently answered all my questions about the fascinating Navajo people. The vehicle was good, certainly more than sufficient for this kind of activity. Canyon de Chelly tours can be recommended!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to rate and review your stay at Quality Inn Navajo Nation Capital back in 2013. We are delighted you enjoyed your tour of Canyon De Chelly.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed there for a couple of days recently and were very pleased with our experience. This is a pretty basic motel so don't expect anything fancy. The rooms were clean, the beds comfortable and the staff as nice and attentive as they come. The breakfast was very good and included in the price. As for roadside motels, they don't get much better. I can certainly recommend this one for everyone passing through Window Rock.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Sleep Inn
Sleep Inn
#9 of 35 in Gallup
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Gallup East

Been to Quality Inn Navajo Nation Capital? Share your experiences!