“Worth driving out of your way!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of La Posada Hotel

La Posada Hotel
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Winslow
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Worth driving out of your way!”
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have stayed here 2 times. It is a beautifully restored place. The decor and rooms are fabulous. The owners have done such a great job at preserving a treasure of the past in Arizona. The beds and linens are comfortable. The restaurant is superb, too. All of the staff are professional and very customer oriented.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
Arizona
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I am an extremely light sleeper and I was so worried about the train noise, it was no problem. Slept through the night. Next time I may ask for a room facing the trains. They gently ramble by and they are very cool. There are a few things that make this room special. It has a door to the outside which would be great if you have pets as it faces the cottonwood grove. I liked it because you can directly to the outside without having to go through the lobby yet you are still within the compound so you feel quite safe. The room is in the "old" room wing. I noticed when walking the hall that most of rooms have a step up to the bathroom. The Betty Grable room has more of ramp. Lastly it is fitted with jet tub albeit a very small one, but still great.
The ambiance of the hotel is very relaxing. It is what you make it. There are so many places to linger and enjoy. I tried to imagine what Mary Coulter was trying to express by putting a garden wall here or a library there. Treat yourself and experience it at least once. It's an incredible value if you appreciate fine architecture. Maybe I'll see you there as I will certainly be back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kathy Y
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night, great staff organized an early check in for us. The hotel is not a hotel it's a home! No overbearing staff watching every move you make! We sat in the foyer, gallery, had dinner and breakfast in the turquoise room a Harvey restaurant and the beautifully restored hotel. Be prepared to be surprised by the peaceful and historic atmosphere, amazing modern art and gift shop. A beautiful and memorable experience.

• Stayed July 2014
phx
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Girls night out! 3 of us stayed in the Lauren Hutton room. Delightful because big enough for us to share. King bed with roll away, but the black couch was more comfy that the roll away.. We just moved some furniture around!. The best part are the grounds. I have been here many times and each season has a different outdoor look. This time , the sunflowers were in full bloom.. The gardens are beautiful, all the rod iron gates are custom, the bail of hay maze is fun.
The owner's wife is a prolific painter. Many of her painting are of Presidents wives with a twist! She has an additional gallery upstairs to view as well as the main hallway.
The gift shop is very special with many Native America jewelry, Mexican tin work, pottery, and something for everyone.
A definite treat to be here at La Posada! Oh, dont forget the trains, the dining experience and the sunsets!

Room Tip: Go online and see what you can find.. Many different rooms to choose from. Mini split air in our ro...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My wife and I stayed there as a 'stop-over' and it turned out to be a highlight of our vacation. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful with many natural plants and flowers. The hotel is fantastic with a feeling you have stepped back in time. The staff was very friendly and The Turquoise Room is a well-known restaurant with the hotel. Food is a little pricey but we found it excellent. My wife had the 8 oz. certified Angus ground round Burger patty which is way understated to classify as a 'burger' and I had the Shrimp Pasta which was great. Very good wine and dessert selection too.
Our room was spacious and nicely decorated with a huge balcony. There are no phones (who really cares?) in the rooms and no elevator. If you are staying on the 1st floor, this is no big deal but if you're on the 2nd (which we were) it can be. There are a double set of railroad tracks that run behind the hotel and there were several trains that came by. They didn't bother us any. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed in the Bill Engvall room with a group of four. No lock on the bathroom door and a window from the shower to the room. Travel with people you trust! Couch pullout bed was not comfortable, better to just request a rollaway.

Not all the rooms are the same so you will likely get a lock and have solid walls around your shower, as we heard from others who stayed there that their rooms did not have these unique features.

The museum had unique style art. We wish we had more time to explore. It is accessible even if you are not staying so we will catch it next time.

Room Tip: Unless you like peep shows, don't book Bill Engvall room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
San Marcos, Texas
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I stayed here with my husband, son, and father as a stop on our Route 66 tour. This place is absolutely spectacular! I don't know where to start. The grounds of the hotel remind me of places I've stayed in Europe with cobblestone walkways, wrought-iron gates, and multiple gardens. Inside the hotel are all kinds of special little places including some striking (and sometimes shocking) artwork by Mion, a seating are with a piano and chess set, a gift shop, and more. The rooms are small and quaint but that is what makes it so special. You feel like you are really staying in a 1930s revival! (which you are) My family and I ended up spending the entire afternoon and evening just enjoying the hotel. We walked through and looked at all the old photos showing people that stayed at the hotel, we wandered through the gallery of paintings (which personally I loved), my son and I kicked a soccer ball around the huge courtyard and waited for trains to pass, we did the haystack maze more than once, we ate the restaurant which was divine, and we ended our evening by sitting on the back patio and watching trains go by. Such a charming place. I loved being able to open my windows in the morning and look out over the courtyard. Try doing that at a Holiday Inn. The owners have done an outstanding job restoring this little gem. There's not much in Winslow but I would return to just to stay at this hotel. Everyone we met there was professional and friendly. I was especially impressed at the formality of the dining room staff. Even though we were road-weary and my 4 year old was getting cranky, they were so polite and helpful and served us an amazing meal!

**I will say that the hotel would not be a good choice for those with trouble getting around. There's cobblestone going in, stairs, no elevators and basic accessibility issues all around.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family