Cherry Creek Lodge
Kohl's Ranch Lodge(Payson)(Great Value!)
US$74
  • Pool
US$106
Hotels.com
Majestic Mountain Inn(Payson)(Great Value!)
US$136
US$133
Rim Country Inn(Payson)(Great Value!)
US$75
Days Inn & Suites Payson(Payson)(Great Value!)
US$106
US$79
Comfort Inn Payson(Payson)(Great Value!)
US$103
US$81
ComfortInn
US$161
US$76
Quality Inn Payson(Payson)(Great Value!)
US$93
US$81
QualityInn
All reviewshorseback ridingshooting rangefire pitbrentcowboyranchhorsesphoenixantlerslofthike
Reviewed 28 May 2013

For my wifes brithday earlier this spring I decided to surprise her with a bed and breakfast get away. I took her to the Cherry Creek Lodge along with our 10 month old daughter. I have to say that the experience we had a Cherry Creek Lodge was the best get away for our family has had in a long time. The lodging was very private and comfortable yet with a family type atmosphere. The setting for Cherry Creek Lodge was very serene and relaxing. The food was great and the activities were perfect for our family. Getting to know some of the guests while we stayed was a special treat as well. The hospitality of the hosts made us feel special and were very well taken care of. I highly recommend this to anyone who's looking to get away from busier areas and looking to relax in a more country type atmosphere. The history of the area is also really interesting and makes you appreciate the area that much more. The fish pond was a lot of fun and even pulled in a few fish. The animals in the stables including a newly born philly really made our daughter happy to see her first horse. We also took a tour of the property in a side-by-side and really enjoyed the trip. We can't say enough about the experience we had as a whole and definitley plan to make this one of our traditional vacations in the future

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jason S
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We live in Phoenix and bought a package for 2 nights with a bottle of wine. Due to our schedules we weren't able to use it until the year was almost up. That, however was not a problem at all for the people at Cherry Creek.

First let me say from Phoenix, it is a good 3 hours drive. About an hour is on dirt roads and you do have to cross through several running creeks. I would strongly advise driving an appropriate car. I could miss out on the dirt road but it did add to the adventure and the directions were perfect. We never made a wrong turn.

When I talked to Holly she said check in and check out was open. This was really nice because we hate to feel rushed when we're able to get some time away. We brought road snacks and stopped a few times along the way, reaching the lodge at around 1pm on a Friday.

Holly and Rich and the entire gang really make you feel welcome and at ease. If you are looking for a 5 star resort - this isn't it as it's a working cattle ranch but based on the comfort of the room and the beautifully kept main lodge it is definitely an experience worth the drive. I was immediately impressed by the cleanliness of the main rooms, despite being in AZ with the winds and dust the place was spotless.

We didn't opt to include lunch as we brought our own but there were always tons of snacks available in the kitchen area for everyone. The lodge includes a spacious main room with large screen tv, pool table, two huge dining tables and plenty of room to lounge around. There is a massive wrap around porch with comfortable lounge chairs which I took advantage of to sit quietly and enjoy my book.

After a short break we walked around the grounds to see the filly who had been born the night before, check out the other farm animals and then my partner did some fishing. There was a row boat and paddle boat but we opted to stay on shore.

Friday night was a fish fry which was good but I'm not a huge fan of any fried foods. We sat out by the fire in the back and chatted with the other guests and then off to bed since we were beat from a long week and the drive.

Saturday am breakfast was served at 7am and the first batch of riders left for the cattle drive. As we were in the second group (2pm), we opted to do some target shooting. Rick was fun and helpful and the even talked me into taking a few shots (yes i hit the target quite a few times). Then back for a quick bite, a short walk down the road and through some fields and then off for our cattle drive.

If you do anything I would recommend the cattle drive but with one warning. I think the literature stated it's for intermediate riders and I probably wouldn't do it as a true beginner. The riders all seemed to do great on our ride but we did go up and down hills and canter. After all we really did gather up cattle and move them to a different location, it wasn't staged. My partner and I were both experienced riders and had a blast because this wasn't the nose to tail ride you usually get. I loved the freedom of the ride as well as the adventure. Wish we could have done it twice but I will admit to being sore from 4 hours in the saddle.

Dinner on Sat night was the rib eye cookout - very good and put me into a total food coma after the long day. Also a definite must. Again we enjoyed some wine by the campfire and wonderful conversation with the managers as well as the other guests.

All in all I would recommend it and we will probably return if time allows. Holly and Rick really make you feel like you are visiting family (as Holly says "that you like"). It is a casual atmosphere with down home cooking. Don't expect a butler, but do expect a great change of pace from the Valley, fun people, great outdoor things to do and some total relaxation.

Room Tip: We were in the loft and although very, very private it does get noisy when the guests are downstairs having breakfast. If you want to sleep in ask for a different room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank krazymoi
Reviewed 24 March 2013

We came upon Cherry Creek Lodge when I bought a Deal Chicken voucher. The deal included 2 nights, 2 breakfast meals, and an adventure trip (horseback ride, ATV tour) for 2 people. We got more than we paid for! It started with a beautiful scenic drive from northwest Phoenix. The creek was flooded at the time, but Rick came out to meet us and drive us into the back country to the lodge. We didn't realize how far back the lodge was from town, so we didn't plan on eating dinner at CCL. Once we saw the backroad and the flooded creek we ambushed Holly by saying we'd be eating dinner there both nights, and she went above and beyond to accommodate us. We were treated like family, and made to feel welcome (including our 2 energetic pups). Lots to do, while taking a break from the hustle and bustle of city life. Great for families, couples, hunters, cowboys/cowgirls, adventurers, city slickers, or if you just need to escape for a few days. Very relaxing, beautiful scenery, well kept/ clean cowboy ranch. Hated to have to go. It's "off the grid" with WiFi, but don't expect cell service (that's part of the relaxation). Thank you to all the staff!!!

Room Tip: Owner's Hideaway - luxury room in a rustic lodge setting.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Danielle M
Reviewed 18 March 2013

When we arrived Holly told us we were family and by the end of the weekend we really felt a great connection to everyone there (visitors and lodge workers). This was an excellent place to go and turn off our cell phones for the entire weekend. There are tons of activities (hiking, horseback riding, ATV's, fishing, paddle-boating, trap shooting, etc.), they are a working ranch so there is a multitude of animals including horses, cows, goats, chickens and dogs. We caught 9 fish in the day we went fishing. Such a peaceful place! Worth the bumpy dirt road getting there. We are going back at least one more time this year. Holly is an amazing chef that kept us full the entire trip. We also brought our own food for lunch but next time I won't even bother. We were also there for their wine tasting event (with 5 course meal) that made for a wonderful night! Everyone there had an amazing time! God bless Holly Rick and Caleb, they were fantastic!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IllsleyPhotography
Reviewed 13 March 2013

Right up front, you should know that we are locals. However, we are in no way affiliated with the Cherry Creek Lodge and I can promise you an unbiased review. The Cherry Creek Lodge lies about 9 miles to our south in a very remote and secluded part of Arizona. The reviewers who warn you about washboard roads aren't kidding, and 4-wheel drive is recommended, if not required, as Cherry Creek is known to flood at times due to snow melt and monsoon activity, and you cross the creekbed several times on FSR 54A. During dry weather, regular vehicles can get you there just fine (I've driven it in my Mini Cooper several times), and the spectacular scenery along the way makes up for the slow, bumpy drive.

We have been to Cherry Creek Lodge for horseback riding, and book family and friends there when our home is full of visitors and we run out of bedrooms. We have also stayed there overnight, and it is a wonderful experience. Holly & Rick are warm, friendly and accomodating hosts who make you feel right at home. The food is delicious, and Holly makes an apple dumpling that is to die for! The Lodge itself is clean, cozy and high class. You might think you took a wrong turn and ended up in Aspen when you walk through the door and see the inside of the Lodge! Some rooms have their own baths, and some share a bath, but all are worth a stay.

Activiities abound for both kids and adults. Horseback riding, fishing, paddle boats, feeding the goats and the chickens, reading, visiting, hiking, photography . . the list goes on. They boast an archery & target range, but we have used neither. Also, be sure to check their website as they have Special Events such as wine pairings, Scoot & Shoot, music festivals, etc, from time to time.

Gotta say, Cherry Creek Lodge is a rare find, and we feel VERY blessed to have it so nearby!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends