“Excellent experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cherry Creek Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Young
Cherry Creek Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Young
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Excellent experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

Last week we spent two days at the Cherry Creek Lodge and were thoroughly pleased with the experience. Located on a working ranch, it was a mix of a bed-and-breakfast and a dude ranch. That meant the cattle, horses, dogs, chicken, turkeys they raised, as well as the wildlife living in the surrounding area.

The two-hour All Terrain Vehicle tour was outstanding. Rick is knowledgeable, pleasant, and very skilled in getting the ATV through river beds, hills, and rocky trails. HIs knowledge about the history of the area, the details of running a working ranch that was off the grid, and the animal life was very outstanding. I was impressed with the solar panels that provided most of the power for the ranch. Though it was a rustic setting, they offered wi-fi and satellite TV, in case you were bored. But boredom was not a problem. The weather was fantastic and we enjoyed hiking around the beautiful countryside.

Our room was well-decorated, clean, and very comfortable. The main lodge area was warm and inviting, as were the staff, Holly and Rick. Everyone was very friendly, genuine, and eager to please. Holly was unfailingly upbeat and helpful.

Meals were served family-style, with guests and staff together, which led to a better appreciation of ranch life. This is not a 3 star Michelin restaurant. If you want that, go to a Michelin rated restaurant. But it is wholesome, family style food on a working ranch. And when I got the bill for the meals, I was pleasantly surprised at how reasonable it was.

We were at the Lodge when the folks that wrote the SbySW negative review were there. All I can say is that we cannot share their evaluation.

Room Tip: The Hide-out Loft was great
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

My husband and I spent two days at the Cherry Creek Lodge. The accommodations were lovely. Holly and Rick, who are both gracious and welcoming, helped make our experience delightful. We opted for the jeep tour and it was definitely a fantastic experience - instructive and beautiful. We learned a lot about ranching and wild life in the area. This is a working ranch. We will definitely come back and would strongly recommend the place. Some of the roads to the ranch are unpaved and require a four wheel drive vehicle with reasonable clearance.

Room Tip: Accommodations in the lodge are very nice
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Our hats off to Rick & Holly! Thank you both for being such selfless and gracious hosts! This ranch is a diamond in the rough for sure. Just enough modern convieniences to make ea guest feel at home, but not enough to take the feel of the whole "dude ranch" experience away. We came out on a "Deal Chicken" special, but after such an awsome weekend!!!, we'll be back with or without a special deal. Ya folks it was that good! We were housed in the "bunk house" for the weekend and had plenty of room to play in..it was just my husband and myself, (more room than necessary) but loved the kitchen and private bathroom to ourselves. Nothing fancy, just plain good ol country living! We had a view of the goat/turkey/horse pens and the chickens & roosters living right next to us for the weekend. We took advantage of every amenitie available...the fishing was my absolute favorite...boats for your use made it even more of an adventure out on the lake with the sunset behind us! wow! horseback riding was great views of the extrordinary country...(our host could of been a bit more informative, but view was excellent). Rick took my husband and I out for an afternoon of shooting, (my husbands favorite part). Rick was a wonderful, knowledable host out on the range! and the meals, were homecooked to perfection!!!!! Holly was so hospitable and was always concerned for everyone elses' needs before her own. The owners are very fortunate and lucky to have such a wonderful couple running their ranch! Thanks Rick & Holly for such a pleasureable weekend,,,,we will definately tell everyone we know and will be back soon!

Room Tip: Let Holly know what your personal needs are ahead of time, so she can accomodate those needs. Some r...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

Jean and I needed our batteries recharged. We decided to try Cherry Creek Lodge. WOW! Super friendly hosts Rick and Holly really made us feel like we were visiting our favorite Aunt and Uncle. The scenery was breathe taking and the weather was wonderful. Jean and I decided to go horseback riding with Rick. He is very knowledgeable about the history of Young, AZ telling the tales along the trail.
There is plenty for the kids to do. Many farm animals around the lodge. You’ll get a privilege tour of the farm with Roxy one of many friendly pets.
Great tasting breakfast, lunch and dinner Aunt Holly’s Kitchen is just the place where she makes it happen. Be prepared for big tasty dinners. She always has plenty of snacks, fruits and cakes on her counter for the guests to snack on any time of the day.
I was able to relax reading books and magazines which are neatly place in the living room amongst big cushioned chairs and sofas. We made new friends around the kitchen table during dinner time and enjoyed the spectacular lighting show at night. Batteries are recharged. Looking forward to coming back.

Room Tip: chilly at night. bring a sweater
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

From the minute you walk in the door of this beautiful lodge, Rick and Holly make you feel right at home. They truly made our stay so enjoyable. It was so nice when we arrived to be offered dinner, and to be able to sit outside, have a glass of wine, watch the stars, and free ranging horses. The cattle drive in the morning was a true highlight! Rick and Caleb were great at guiding us, and taking us on such a beautiful ride. I couldn't stop taking pictures! ;) Would definitely recommend this ranch if you are looking for a country atmosphere, and a nice change of pace (in a very good way). Thanks again Holly and Rick for everything! Can't wait to come back soon!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stalls11
Tucson
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

For my wifes brithday earlier this spring I decided to surprise her with a bed and breakfast get away. I took her to the Cherry Creek Lodge along with our 10 month old daughter. I have to say that the experience we had a Cherry Creek Lodge was the best get away for our family has had in a long time. The lodging was very private and comfortable yet with a family type atmosphere. The setting for Cherry Creek Lodge was very serene and relaxing. The food was great and the activities were perfect for our family. Getting to know some of the guests while we stayed was a special treat as well. The hospitality of the hosts made us feel special and were very well taken care of. I highly recommend this to anyone who's looking to get away from busier areas and looking to relax in a more country type atmosphere. The history of the area is also really interesting and makes you appreciate the area that much more. The fish pond was a lot of fun and even pulled in a few fish. The animals in the stables including a newly born philly really made our daughter happy to see her first horse. We also took a tour of the property in a side-by-side and really enjoyed the trip. We can't say enough about the experience we had as a whole and definitley plan to make this one of our traditional vacations in the future

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jason S
Scottsdale, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

We live in Phoenix and bought a package for 2 nights with a bottle of wine. Due to our schedules we weren't able to use it until the year was almost up. That, however was not a problem at all for the people at Cherry Creek.

First let me say from Phoenix, it is a good 3 hours drive. About an hour is on dirt roads and you do have to cross through several running creeks. I would strongly advise driving an appropriate car. I could miss out on the dirt road but it did add to the adventure and the directions were perfect. We never made a wrong turn.

When I talked to Holly she said check in and check out was open. This was really nice because we hate to feel rushed when we're able to get some time away. We brought road snacks and stopped a few times along the way, reaching the lodge at around 1pm on a Friday.

Holly and Rich and the entire gang really make you feel welcome and at ease. If you are looking for a 5 star resort - this isn't it as it's a working cattle ranch but based on the comfort of the room and the beautifully kept main lodge it is definitely an experience worth the drive. I was immediately impressed by the cleanliness of the main rooms, despite being in AZ with the winds and dust the place was spotless.

We didn't opt to include lunch as we brought our own but there were always tons of snacks available in the kitchen area for everyone. The lodge includes a spacious main room with large screen tv, pool table, two huge dining tables and plenty of room to lounge around. There is a massive wrap around porch with comfortable lounge chairs which I took advantage of to sit quietly and enjoy my book.

After a short break we walked around the grounds to see the filly who had been born the night before, check out the other farm animals and then my partner did some fishing. There was a row boat and paddle boat but we opted to stay on shore.

Friday night was a fish fry which was good but I'm not a huge fan of any fried foods. We sat out by the fire in the back and chatted with the other guests and then off to bed since we were beat from a long week and the drive.

Saturday am breakfast was served at 7am and the first batch of riders left for the cattle drive. As we were in the second group (2pm), we opted to do some target shooting. Rick was fun and helpful and the even talked me into taking a few shots (yes i hit the target quite a few times). Then back for a quick bite, a short walk down the road and through some fields and then off for our cattle drive.

If you do anything I would recommend the cattle drive but with one warning. I think the literature stated it's for intermediate riders and I probably wouldn't do it as a true beginner. The riders all seemed to do great on our ride but we did go up and down hills and canter. After all we really did gather up cattle and move them to a different location, it wasn't staged. My partner and I were both experienced riders and had a blast because this wasn't the nose to tail ride you usually get. I loved the freedom of the ride as well as the adventure. Wish we could have done it twice but I will admit to being sore from 4 hours in the saddle.

Dinner on Sat night was the rib eye cookout - very good and put me into a total food coma after the long day. Also a definite must. Again we enjoyed some wine by the campfire and wonderful conversation with the managers as well as the other guests.

All in all I would recommend it and we will probably return if time allows. Holly and Rick really make you feel like you are visiting family (as Holly says "that you like"). It is a casual atmosphere with down home cooking. Don't expect a butler, but do expect a great change of pace from the Valley, fun people, great outdoor things to do and some total relaxation.

Room Tip: We were in the loft and although very, very private it does get noisy when the guests are downstairs...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank krazymoi

Been to Cherry Creek Lodge? Share your experiences!