“Looking forward to heaven on earth”

Stagecoach Trails Guest Ranch
Reviewed 2 January 2014

It's going down to 13 below zero tonight so I thought I would check the Stagecoach Trails website and reviews to warm my heart and bones. My husband and I were there in October (one of our many visits there) and are planning upon returning in March. I just needed something warm and fun to look forward to. I must say that the first review I read totally shocked me and I feel that I must respond to the reviewers experience. It is so unlike any of the visits that we have had at the ranch. And, judging from the other reviews, unlike anyone else's. We are treated like family by ALL of the staff when we are there. There is a wonderful sense of "coming home" when we drive through the gate. The wranglers and Carrie have been most accommodating with the rides. I'm a once or twice a year rider, love to lope and they have done a great job matching my skills to the horse and trails. I have never felt unsafe on any of my rides. My husband, who loves riding the rocking chairs, hates to ride and is basically indifferent to horses, loves going to the ranch. We have had many different rooms while at the ranch and have found the accommodations to be pleasant and comfortable. For us it is very refreshing not to have to worry about locking the doors and losing the keys. We have never had a problem with safety in this regard. However, I do know that keys are made available if a guest prefers. The food is amazing. Home cooking at its best. A couple of years ago we took our daughter and her family to the ranch with us. She is a vegetarian and we let the staff know ahead of time. They had vegetarian meals prepared for her to accommodate her needs. They had a wonderful time and the kids will never forget their first ride on a real horse. I feel that the Trip Advisor awards for the past 2 years are highly justified and deserved. And, we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GoofyOllie

Reviewed 29 December 2013

In short you will not leave "feeling like family"

-The staff does not care what so ever about their guests. (I think this is crucial at a GUEST ranch)
-Wranglers DO NOT pay attention to their rides.
-Many staff did not even reply when saying "good morning" and when asking questions you get very short one word answers
- Very segregated feeling dinning area, 99% of staff do not mingle or make eye contact with guest.
- Beds were horrible, rooms were dirty (trash under beds, dust on everything)
-The room heater was super loud
-Cant lock doors from outside
- After being told how many trails and acres there were we went on the same 3 trails all week
- No healthy options during dinner, the closest thing you get to anything "green" is ice burg salad

****After pointing something out to our wrangler that involved horse comfort and guest safety the response received was pretty much "yeah what ever, its not my job" <---- this is what made me want to write this review, because yes that IS your job. *****

Our party is not high maintenance, and really just go for the riding and the horses. If you are looking for authentic, welcoming feeling ranch keep looking. This trip made me realize how important friendly caring staff is. For a place to basically "brag" about their tripadvisor reviews and for us to get there to such an ignorant selfish staff was shocking. Its almost like they got their good review and are just giving up. At least pretend to enjoy the company of the guests who are PAYING YOUR PAYCHECK!

The horses were amazing. That's about it.

Room Tip: Look for a different room at a different ranch
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank honestEEEE
jergolfer, Owner at Stagecoach Trails Guest Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

This is Carrie and my husband Dan and I are the owners of Stagecoach Trails Guest Ranch. As you can imagine I am very upset and bewildered by this review and only wish these guests would have come to me and talked to me before they left so I could have personally addressed their concerns while they were still here. Dan and I and our wonderful staff pride ourselves on making sure all of our guests feel welcome and like family while they are here. I am told constantly how my staff, including my wranglers go out of their way to make sure all of our guests have the best possible time while they are here. Our countless excellent reviews confirm this (thanks again to all the guests who write them!) as well as our high percentage of returning guests (thanks as well!). We are very proud of our 2012 and 2013 certificate of excellence awards as I know they are only given to places that deserve to be recognized. And we do not disregard them once they are awarded as every review and award is extremely important to us and much appreciated.

We hope and pray that anyone reading this guest review will also take the time to read my response as well because Dan and I and our great staff want to make sure everyone knows how much we love and appreciate all of our wonderful guests. We know it is a privilege and a blessing to have this special ranch and we do think of our guests as family. Please give us a try and see for yourself why we stand by our motto “you will come as guests and leave feeling like family!”. I promise you will have a great time here and we will all do everything we can to make sure you do!

Since we are a small ranch, we have a small staff and I know each and every one of them on a personal basis (in fact the cook is my brother Randy!) and I know how hard they work to make sure everyone has a great time here, including paying attention during rides. They are like family to me. I am also personally involved in every aspect of the ranch operations and if I ever thought any one of my staff was not treating my guests right or didn’t care about them during their stay they would not be working here.

This review truly bewilders me and I can’t imagine why if these guests felt so unwelcome, were so angry and so unhappy they didn’t talk to me about it. They participated in the Christmas activities that occurred on Christmas Eve (which all my guests and staff participated in) and certainly seemed happy to be here, even thanking me for the fun night and the gifts. They opted to go touring on Christmas Day after their ride so we didn’t see them the rest of the evening. So on Thursday after their morning ride when they said they were leaving I specifically asked them if there was anything we did that would cause them to leave to leave a day early. They assured me it was only because their dog had escaped from the person who was caring for it and they needed to get back to Flagstaff so they could get it from the animal shelter (where it had been brought to that afternoon). This would have been a perfect opportunity for them to discuss all of their concerns so I could have addressed them at that time as we talked for several minutes. Nothing negative was said during our conversation. When I asked again right before they left if everything was OK, they told me there was nothing wrong, they just needed to get back so they could get their dog. Being an animal lover myself I told them I understood their need to do that. I hugged all 3 telling them I hoped to see them again sometime, having no idea they were so unhappy. It is very difficult to address something like this after the guests have left especially when I was not made aware of any problems they were having while they were here. So once again I am befuddled.

Since our dining room is one big room and there are only 8 tables and each one seats 6, it is quite difficult for segregation so I have no idea why they felt there was, especially since my staff eats at the same time as the guests! Although they chose not to, all guests are welcome to eat with other guests and we always encourage that. We are known for our great food and do NOT advertise that we serve healthy “green” items. We are a ranch, so we serve good home-cooked ranch style food. If someone has special dietary requests we are always happy to accommodate them any time as long as we know before their arrival so we can be sure to have the necessary foods here for them.

We are sorry they felt their beds were uncomfortable, their heater was loud (It is a wall unit and they are not always quiet-sorry!) and it was dusty. We have many guests who love our beds and tell us how comfortable they are but we know we can’t please everyone. We pride ourselves on our clean rooms and this often gets mentioned in reviews. Unfortunately we are in the desert and there is dust and sand all around us. When doors get opened often and the wind blows there will be dust in the rooms once guests are here. Most people accept it as part of the experience! I have however reminded my cleaning staff to make sure they check and recheck under the beds for any trash before the new guests arrive!

Also we want to remind our guests that we have keys to every room and each one can be locked from the inside or outside. We just don’t give keys out because then our guests don’t have to worry about losing them on the rides. It is a policy we started 13 yrs ago and it has worked great because when everyone feels like family there is no need to worry about locking doors! But we are always more than welcome to give a key to anyone who wants to use one during their stay. All they have to do is ask (but rarely do!)

Since I am personally involved in all aspects of the ranch operation including the horseback riding program, I spend a lot of time talking to all of the guests (and personally get to know them) especially during mealtimes when I go to each table to discuss their rides and ride times. Since these guests ate several meals with us it would have been a perfect opportunity to discuss all of these issues with me so I could have addressed them at that time. It’s so unfortunate that they didn’t as I would never want anyone to be unhappy or to feel like we didn’t care about them. We care about each and every one of our guests and always try to do our very best to make sure everyone has a great time while they are here. I will be happy to talk to these guests personally about their concerns. They are welcome to contact me anytime to discuss.

Once again thanks for taking the time to read my response. We do hope you will give us a try and see for yourself why we are so proud of our Certificate of Excellence Award 2 yrs in a row! Thanks to Tripadvisor and to all of our wonderful guests whose reviews made those coveted awards possible! We have worked hard to earn them and hope you will feel we deserve them once you stay with us and become part of our "ranch family"!

Reviewed 5 December 2013

If you have ever decided that you want to ride a horse in the Ol' West, then STGR is the place for you! Set in the Arizona desert, just 2 hours outside of Vegas, is the Stagecoach Trails Guest Ranch, run by the wonderful Rynders family. We just make our 17th (I think) trip out there and the magic is a fresh today as it was when we made our first trip 6 years ago.

A special thanks to the wrangling crew led by Craig Boyd, "Tex" Westmoreland and Cody (never did get his last name)! They had a little help from Clyde and Koda too!

Can't wait to go back again soon!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Geoff L
Reviewed 29 November 2013

You can't find a better ranch for the price!!! A great family run ranch, with great people, great horses, great food and great accommodations. You will find a two night stay is too short, I recommend a week if you can. This is a great place for any occasion even a family reunion and they offer disabled riding too. They go from the expert rider who can lope to the completely inexperienced rider who can learn from the cowboys and truly enjoy the ride. It's a place to leave life behind, relax by the pool, play ping pong, shoot pool, play games cards or horse shoes. Take a walk, watch the stars, have a picnic, and meet others. It's just the best place to have fun. I can't say enough about it.

Room Tip: All are great.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Going4fun
Reviewed 29 November 2013

1  Thank Going4fun
Reviewed 27 November 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 9 year wedding anniversary in November. The accommodations were clean, relaxing, and comfortable. We loved the hoarse riding experiences every time. We went a total of 4 times- each time moving forward in confidence and getting more chances to learn to ride thanks to a superb wrangler named Cody!!! We loved Cody! The owners, Carrie and Dan and staff were so pleasant and kind. They made us feel so welcomed. We loved the relaxed nature of the visit. We ate so well! Randy the cook was awesome! Nothing should ever change about this place. It really is a wonderful get away. One of the few times we actually wanted to stay longer on a vacation because we were enjoying it so much. We made great memories and we want to go again soon and take our boys in a few years (when they are older and can ride with us). It is a great place for kids as well! Kids do have to be 5 to ride around the ranch and 7 to go out on the trails. I did find my inner Cowgirl! We listened to country music the whole way home with such fondness for everyone we met. They are really great people and run an incredible ranch!

Room Tip: I think they are all fine. You can't go wrong.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cherie_418
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We had a girl's reunion in October and Carrie and Dan were fabulous hosts! If you're ready to get away from it all, find your inner 'cowgirl/boy', this is the spot for you!
Craig and Tex and the rest of the wranglers kept us entertained as they taught us how to feel more comfortable in the saddle. We had a blast trying to keep up with Carrie line dancing one night, and Dan built a beautiful fire and regaled us with ranch stories another.
Bob the cook, made special gluten free options for me each meal.

The ranch is beautifully maintained and there's lots of spots to sit back and relax and watch the horses, the sunsets, or your friends trying their hand at horseshoes....
We'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Nancy B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yucca
Hampton Inn Lake Havasu City
#6 of 24 in Lake Havasu City
Lake Havasu Travelodge
Lake Havasu Travelodge
#1 of 24 in Lake Havasu City

Been to Stagecoach Trails Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!