All reviews other guests horseback riding experienced riders line dancing stage coach arizona desert perfect family vacation skill level little piece of paradise meal times desert scenery special thanks wagon ride hot tub the main lodge ping pong perfect hosts
Reviewed 11 November 2017 via mobile

What can we say other than WOW !

A truly brilliant place , welcoming , friendly with so much to do . The three of us arrived here as guests and as they said would happen we feel like we are leaving as family .
I can’t recommend the ranch enough , we will take memories from here that we will cherish for life .
The owners PJ and Tricia do everything they can to make sure your stay is a great one from the family atmosphere to the meals and of course the riding .
If riding and sampling a bit of the old west is for you yet with security , peace , and modern facilities then this is the place.
You are catered for whether you are an experienced rider or like us novices , the wranglers are brilliant and their knowledge of the area , the horses and their sense of humour means each ride is not only fun but a real education .
My son and I booked the ATVs and Tristan our guide was marvellous. He enjoyed the ride as much as us and took us to see things untouched for over 100 years . It was more fun than either of us could have wished for .
We WILL be back .

Allan, Sue and Luke

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 November 2017

I made our reservation directly with owner. 3 things were very important to us...advanced horseriding program, 2 beds and food without garlic because of a severe allergy. He assured me all 3 things were possible. The room he took us to had one bed. He did find one with 2 beds that needed a thorough cleaning and had a hairdryer that didn't work. The food that evening was a buffet and every dish had garlic. He didn't even note that in our reservation. The horseriding was for complete beginners. A disaster for an advanced rider. The saddles were cheap and hard as a brick. The owner said this had not been his career and was a hobby. Very obvious as he knows nothing about the hospitality industry nothing about horsemanship. We tried more than once to have a conversation with him and that was met with arrogance and belittling comments. We have ridden horses all over the world and never encountered a situation like this. Horrible! We checked out after one night. Even though he completely misrepresented the place he never offered a refund. Complete disaster.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
10  Thank Michael K
JP M, Owner at Stagecoach Trails Guest Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2017

Never has there been a point in our life that we have not thoroughly enjoyed what we do. Our guests are a big part of what makes this such a beautiful experience. Unfortunately, in rare instances there comes a time when a person has such a profound negative attitude on life and the people surrounding them that we find it virtually impossible to shine a light upon them.

We received a call a few weeks before arrival from a prospective guest telling us she wanted to switch her reservation from another ranch because she did not like how they were treating her by phone. We gladly accepted the challenge but were not prepared for what was to come. In the ranch's history we have never received a 1 star review and have never had a guest try to sneak out unseen and skip out on their bar bill. Upon arrival she insisted that she was an experienced rider having done some dressage in an arena. We explained to her that Western riding is totally different than arena riding and all guests must go through the mandatory first walk ride. Immediately as she mounted our horse it was apparent that she had no experience horseback riding at all. She insisted on keeping her stirrups extremely short to the point that her knees were above her saddle. We explained that this is not how it is done out here and that Western riding requires you to have longer stirrups or your knees will hurt. She said that this is how she wanted to ride. She then kept jerking on the horse's bridle with both hands. We explained that our horses are use to neck reining not two handed reining and definitely not short reins. She would have none of it and kept jerking on the horse's bridal. It became apparent to us that she had no clue, other than a few tricks in an arena, how to ride a horse in the wilderness. As a courtesy we sent her out by herself with her father and another wrangler with no other guests in her group. During her walk she explained to our wrangler that she had gone to another ranch and left after two days because she did not get along with the wranglers. She also then started to tell our wrangler that her butt was hurting and the saddle too hard. Our wrangler explained that these are leather western saddles and not the padded ones used for dressage. All our saddles are made in the USA by such reputable saddle companies like Circle Y, Corriente and are not cheap saddles. She also told our wrangler that she did not like kids and always tries to go to places with no kids and was surprised that there were three kids here at the ranch. We did have 3 guest children at the ranch at the time and they were very well behaved and where a delight to be around. That night at dinner she walked into the dinning room and yelled that she smelled garlic! She started belittling one of our staff members saying that she insisted that there be no garlic in her food. He explained that we had a special meal for her that did not have garlic. She continued to yell that she did not want garlic and had said so on her reservation even though we told her we had a plate for her with no garlic. Later that evening I went to talk to her about her afternoon. She complained to me that her butt hurt because her saddle was hard, that her knees hurt and that she wanted to go fast because she was an experienced rider and was upset that she had to walk on her first ride. I explained that this is protocol, that all guests no matter how experienced they claim to be must start with a walk ride. We do this for the safety of all our guests and in her case, both of them being senior citizens, we felt a greater obligation to ensure they would have a safe experience. I also told her that we would get her a pad to soften her seat and that to prevent her knees from hurting she should ride with longer stirrups. That evening we had a moonlit wagon ride that she declined to go on and instead she and her father retired to bed early. The next morning they did not show up for breakfast. We looked in the direction of their room and noticed them surreptitiously bringing bags to their car. I walked over to her father and asked what was going on. He looked at me as if a deer struck in headlights. He walked to the room not saying a word and called his daughter to come out. She came to the door and said that she was leaving. That we would not listen to her about her riding experience and was upset that we served garlic to other guests because she told us she did not like it. I tried to explain that we had made note of her request, and as we do in all these cases with special dietary requirements, we make special dishes for them but the other guests still get to eat what the chef as on the menu. I also indicated that after her first ride she would then be able to go faster and she said, "well this is not going to work out we are leaving". I looked in disbelief but then kept thinking of what she told our wrangler about leaving another ranch early, how she canceled her other reservation because she did not like how they treated her on the phone and did not like kids. It was then I realized we had a problem we would not be able to resolve. I thanked her and wished her well. As I walked away I was disheartened to think that they were trying to sneak out during breakfast service and never pay their bar bill. We later talked to the owners of the other ranch and found out that she did almost exactly the same thing.

I will close by starting off where I began. In all our years doing this it has been an incredible experience with incredible guests that have shown us all the good in people and life. We will continue on our beautiful journey and continue to believe in the goodness of people and pray for those upon which life has not yet shinned brightly upon.

Reviewed 28 October 2017

I really can't imagine a better place to experience life on a ranch. JP and Trish have achieved a winning formula here and I can only endorse the favourable comments in the many other excellent reviews. We only had 3 nights (2 days riding) and very much wished we could have stayed longer. Everything here is done very well - the welcome on arrival was friendly and relaxed, the accommodation is clean and comfortable, the pool area is lovely, the location is awesome, the food is excellent, the wranglers are feisty and good fun, the horses are in excellent condition and the riding instruction was conducted in a relaxed but expert manner. I could go on! I hope we can return.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RReliant
Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

I am really not sure where start, so let me start at the check-in which epitomizes it: you arrive and the first thing JP does is shake your hand and take you for a tour or the ranch. No checking in, no silly paper work or admin. It is the best welcome I have ever had anywhere and from there is just gets better.

Highlights for us: the horses and in fact all the animals - kids just loved it. The horse riding - we could not get enough of it and was really fun. The wranglers were if nothing else entertaining and yes (per review below) George is unusual - but that made it more fun. The sunrise ride up Cactus Hill I will never forget. Accommodation was exactly what we needed and food was spot on.

I really need to reiterate one feels welcome here. JP, Trish and family were super hosts and we can't wait to get back.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 October 2017

Im writing this in retrospect all the way from last year on behalf of my husband & son. They spent their 50th & 30th birthdays at this ranch and it really was a dream come true for my husband who had always wanted to be a cowboy. So rather than prattle on I'll list their opinions..
1. The staff: Extremely friendly, helpful, informative and kind.
2.The accomodation:Very comfortable, clean and had everything we needed.
3. The food:Very good. Bellies were always full!
4.The horse rides: Amazing! Big John & Whistler were beautiful animals.

Room Tip: Every room is great.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family