“Clean hotel but staff is terrible”

Hilton Garden Inn Yuma Pivot Point
Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Yuma
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We stayed one night (this visit) July 23 2012. While the hotel itself is clean and new the hotel staff is not very friendly or knowledgeable. My husband is civil service with Air National Guard...not military...but a civilian. For that we recieve a great rate for this hotel and why we have returned to this hotel. We have previously stayed here three other times, all on stop throughs on the way to San Diego. Because my husband is a STATE employee we receive the state government rate. Here is my problem; on our first visit to HGI, the check inn desk employee gave us a hard time with the rate we were being offered saying "you are military, not state government" we went back and forth a few times with me "educating" him in the difference between state and federal government. He said his apologies and finally checked us in and gave us our room keys...everything good. FYI, my husband has proper identification. Our second and third trips to HGI were more pleasent and checked right in no hassel. This last visit on the 23rd we checked in late, prolly close to midnight, and the same gentelman from our first visit was working the front desk. We gave him our ids and again he started with you are in the wrong rate. And again I explained the differences between the two. This time he became rude and started to cut me off. After a few mins he just gave up and checked us in, all while still telling me he was just gonna "give" us the rate. He did not just "give"us us that rate, we deserved that rate! I did not get his name or I would complained to the manager the next day. My husband still thought I should of said something but I was also eager to just get my vacation started. It has been a week now but I am still not happy about the way this man spoke to me. We will not be back to this HGI. It is a clean place to stay but this man has left a bad impression on me. We will book the Radisson on all future stay overs. We travel to San Diego 4-5 times a year but this HGI wont be getting my business unless they educate their staff better!

• Stayed: July 2012
sherrisheeran, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Yuma Pivot Point, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2012

Dear dawnsa - I was very disappointed to hear of your recent experience with us! I have passed your feedback on to the General Manager so that he can follow up with the employee you mentioned. My sincere apologies for what happened. If you read through our other reviews you will see that people mention how great our staff is consistently. I do hope you will give us another chance when you travel through Yuma as this is a great facility

Reviewed 27 July 2012

This hotel exceeds the Hilton Standards in every way. I stay there regularly on business and cannot say enough about Esther and her team at the front desk, Darlene at the bar, Edgar in the dining room. Great food and great atmosphere. My only other comment would be keep working on the wireless since most of your guests are not vacationers.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Dear voyagerguy010 - Thank you so much for taking a few moments to post a review of our property. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay. As you mentioned, we have an outstanding staff who truly understand what superior customer service means. We hope the next time you're through Yuma that you will give us the priviledge of serving you again!

Reviewed 25 July 2012

We stayed at this particular hotel while my husband was in Yuma on business. I've worked in hotels and as such hold the Hilton name to a high standard (the best should deliver the best) and was not disappointed. The staff was very pleasant from check-in to housekeeping to room service. Rooms were outstanding with those lovely Hilton adjustable beds and fluffy duvets, flat screen TVs with HD channels, desk chair was amazingly comfy, nice big bathtub and great big bath towels (not those scratchy lil ones some hotels have), and we even had a patio with a bistro table! The pool was our favorite place to be in the midst of 112 degree days and we ordered room service one night for dinner...YOU HAVE TO TRY THE "Tenderloin Arizona," it was heavenly! My husband had the Ribeye ad he sweas by it, but the sauce under my tenderloin was the key (I've dreamt about that sauce!). No complaints at all. We will be back if in Yuma again!

2  Thank MamaChavez
sherrisheeran, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Yuma Pivot Point, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2012

Dear MamaChavez - WOW, what a great review & we so appreciate it!! Coming from a former hotelier is even sweeter as we (I admit it!) tend to be even more critical in our travels. So glad that you enjoyed your stay with us & I will pass your comments on to our Executive Chef who just rolled out that new menu recently. All of your feedback was much appreciated. We look forward to serving you again the next time you're through Yuma!

Reviewed 21 July 2012

This is a great hotel...the staff is super nice! From the people at the front desk to the great restaurant help they couldn't have been nicer....The rooms were very comfortable and the pool was great on the 114 degrees days! I will be back on my next trip to Yuma!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
sherrisheeran, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Yuma Pivot Point, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2012

Dear plitchhult - We really appreciate you taking the time to post a review on our property! We're so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us & glad we made you feel that you would come back plus recommend us to your friends. That's our ultimate goal each & every day with all of our guests. Thanks again & we will look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 20 July 2012

This was a lovely hotel, the staff were excellent especially Abby in the bar and the man who arranged pool towels in the morning. The room was large, clean and comfortable.
The pool was lovely and very quiet in the mornings. My only complaint would be that they don't enforce the no smoking rule at the pool even after we told the ladies at the front desk that someone was actually in the pool and smoking at the side.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a river view
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear patsy54uk - Travelers these days really rely on reading reviews to help them with their choices. That's why we really appreciate you taking a few moments & recently posting a review on our property. We're thrilled that you enjoyed your stay (except for the smoker in the pool area) & do hope that you visit us again. Thanks again & happy travels!

Reviewed 17 July 2012

This is an excellent hotel, the staff is super friendly, the food in the restaurant is delicious, with an excellent selection. My one and only complaint that the internet here is terrible. My 3G on my phone the Internet is considerably faster. I do a lot of work in my room, and in my downtime I like to watch Netflix. It is impossible to do so at this hotel, because the Internet is so slow. If Internet connection is not important to you, then this hotel is wonderful. Especially the bar staff.

• Stayed: July 2012
sherrisheeran, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Yuma Pivot Point, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2012

Dear Bubba1228 - Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our facility. Sorry to hear about your challenges with the internet. I have passed your comments on to the General Manager to look in to what we need to do to improve it. This is why our customer's feedback is so important to us. Thanks again & I do hope you will stay with us again the next time you come to Yuma.

Reviewed 13 July 2012

Extremely comfortable place to stay. Large and very clean rooms, good breakfast, excellent restaurant service, comfortable beds. Definitely a great place to stay! I will be back!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 16 July 2012

Dear SC - Many thanks for taking a few moments & posting a review of our property. It's so great to hear that you enjoyed your stay! All of us here take a lot of pride in this beautiful hotel & making sure that we take good care of our guests. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future. Happy travels!